Headed to Maya Chan soon? FYI- you can't swim there right now

coffeeaddiction12345

Hi guys!

We just got back from a fabulous cruise. I just wanted to inform all of you that sadly, water at Maya Chan is unswimable, and you can't user water toys there either.

We were EXTREMELY IMPRESSED that when we arrived at the meeting location we were handed a letter that informed us that due to the sea grass and muddy water, they were offering us a choice of a FULL refund or a discount to still go anyway.

We went anyway and had a WONDERFUL day, I am so thrilled we booked there. We were definitely bummed to not be able to swim, but them informing us of the problem ahead of time won us over!!! We had the refund already in our email by the time we connected to the wifi upon arrival- WOW.

Just wanted to let others know, but if it is a true problem they will tell you as soon as you get to the meeting spot. I can't wait to go back when the water is swim-able again. I can easily see now why everyone raves about this place. Some of the best food and service I've had in my entire life.

Edited by coffeeaddiction12345

Sargasso (sea grass) has been a huge problem through the Caribbean this year. The beaches along the Mayan Riviera are piled with it and the resorts have been doing their best to deal with it. Plus, Mark at Maya Chan e-mailed the other day to say that they had 20" of rain a little over a week ago, so I am sure that contributed to the water issues.

Either way we're going to be there in a couple of weeks and will have a great day!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by Ron_L

I just exchanged e-mails with Mark and they are doing everything they can. Mother Nature is slowly cleaning the water up and they are not allowed to do anything until the authorities give all of them options on how to mitigate. As I mentioned, they had a tropical disturbance that dumped 20 inches of rain in 24 hours.

We are going a month from today.Wondering if I should cancel.

I think it will be fine! Mark and his crew will do all that they can to get things cleaned up and the food and drinks will be great as always!

We'll be there on the 19th so I can give you an update when we get back.

We're heading to Costa Maya on the 18th. I was just about to book yesterday then I read this thread. They didn't mention it to me in the email. Maybe it will get better? :confused: From the other thread, it looks like Tropicante is fine.

I'm not worried. I received this from Mark at Maya Chan this morning...

Yesterday, we had floating guests, bar service in the water and kayaking all day long. Semernat, which is the Mexican Environmental Agency has not allowed anyone in Costa Maya to work in the water since its Turtle season. We are awaiting a guidebook on what they will allow all of us to do. But, we are managing better than most in our region.

He sent me a similar reply. He went further to say you'll be refunded and/or given an option to receive a discount if this happens again. It sounds like he's a little peeved about this post, lol. I'm booking, just waiting for him to send the Paypal receipt.

I'm looking forward to visiting this place!

He sent me a similar reply. He went further to say you'll be refunded and/or given an option to receive a discount if this happens again. It sounds like he's a little peeved about this post, lol. I'm booking, just waiting for him to send the Paypal receipt.

I'm looking forward to visiting this place!

Mark and Jane are good people and they will take care of their customers. Even if there is another problem with water quality in the future the whole experience is very relaxing and the staff, food and drinks make it worth the cost! We can't wait to get back and we're planning on going again on our Jan 2017 cruise.

Howdy from Texas! My family and I are cruising for our first time in December on the Liberty of the Seas! I can't wait! I have two teenage children (15 and 13), and I'm wondering what they'll think of Maya Chan....it sounds wonderful for my husband and I, but what about teens?

Thanks in advance,

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

When I went last spring, my two girls were 17. They loved it. They swam, floated in the beach chairs, kayaked, enjoyed fruity virgin drinks and just relaxed. They loved the food. The fact they had wifi and could post about their day and catch up with their friends was wonderful. They actually jokingly asked if they had to go back to the ship! Having someone wait on them all day was a treat (because I won't).

We are headed back in June. They gave us a returning customer discount!:)

We were at Maya Chan last Thursday and had a great day! the water was churned from recent storms, so they offered us a refund before leaving the port, but everyone turned it down and went to the resort. The food, drinks and staff are fantastic!

We were there last Friday. We went in the water and floated around anyways. They did let us know before we took the taxi that we couldn't snorkel, but we toughed it out.

Note to self....If you are floating around and its really mucky, its very difficult to get out of the water after 4 tequila sunrises.....

Edited by pathubia

We're looking forward to finally getting back to Maya Chan in a few weeks. We had a wonderful day there several years ago and have not had a chance to go back until now. I remember the water being too cold to swim in when we were there last (Christmas week) so I could care less if I can swim now. Just looking forward to the food, drink and hospitality!

• 2 weeks later...

We will be at Maya Chan 12 24. Mark has sent photos taken today and the water looks clean and no significant collection of sea grass to be seen.

It would seem the water and grass has improved.

We plan to go and have a good time!

• 2 weeks later...

I usually go to Blue Kay but for someone that loves to lie in the sun all day, I dont think I can handle those wooden unpadded loungers again....lol

So I plan to change it up for cruise next week, and go to Maya Chan, since it seems to have a lot of great reviews....I do have a couple of questions f someone can help me out.....

- Are the sun loungers padded?

- All incl - cost?

- Time needed to travel there -to/from ship I know its much further along from

Blue Kay.

- What time do they open as am usually off ship right after we dock @ 8a.

- Do they have a max # like Nachi Cocum in Coz?

Thanks for anyone that can answer me.....:D

I usually go to Blue Kay but for someone that loves to lie in the sun all day, I dont think I can handle those wooden unpadded loungers again....lol

So I plan to change it up for cruise next week, and go to Maya Chan, since it seems to have a lot of great reviews....I do have a couple of questions f someone can help me out.....

- Are the sun loungers padded?

- All incl - cost?

- Time needed to travel there -to/from ship I know its much further along from

Blue Kay.

- What time do they open as am usually off ship right after we dock @ 8a.

- Do they have a max # like Nachi Cocum in Coz?

Thanks for anyone that can answer me.....:D

I can answer some of your questions.

The resort does have a limit on a daily basis.

You might want to go to their website and especially when their beach cam is on.

You are assigned to your own palapa and they all vary with accomodations. Some have beds with sheets, wooden chairs, a table and it depends on the size of the group.

We are two so it works fine for us. I do not go in the sun, but they do have great floating chairs for floating around in the water.

They give you a time to meet their rep outside of the enclosed shopping area. Our meeting time is 9:30 AM.

They have you driven to the resort and the road is interesting!! Hang on for some of the ruts in the road that the Mexican government should fix. The trip is about 30 minutes and when you let them know when you plan to leave and they arrange transportation back to the port.

They are an all inclusive. All drinks and delicious food is included in their price along with transportation to and from the resort.

The service is exceptional, the place is clean and we like it so much we are heading there for our 6th visit this week.

They also have snorkeling if you are interested.

Hope this helps but do look at their website.

Great owners who care about their customers.

It is a relaxing day-they take care of you!

Enjoy!

I can answer some of your questions.

The resort does have a limit on a daily basis.

You might want to go to their website and especially when their beach cam is on.

You are assigned to your own palapa and they all vary with accomodations. Some have beds with sheets, wooden chairs, a table and it depends on the size of the group.

We are two so it works fine for us. I do not go in the sun, but they do have great floating chairs for floating around in the water.

They give you a time to meet their rep outside of the enclosed shopping area. Our meeting time is 9:30 AM.

They have you driven to the resort and the road is interesting!! Hang on for some of the ruts in the road that the Mexican government should fix. The trip is about 30 minutes and when you let them know when you plan to leave and they arrange transportation back to the port.

They are an all inclusive. All drinks and delicious food is included in their price along with transportation to and from the resort.

The service is exceptional, the place is clean and we like it so much we are heading there for our 6th visit this week.

They also have snorkeling if you are interested.

Hope this helps but do look at their website.

Great owners who care about their customers.

It is a relaxing day-they take care of you!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Loucat. I found the website and asked the same questions to Mark. He is going to provide extra pads for me! HOW KIND! so booked up and ready to relax in an awesome place!

I'm travelling solo so guess I wont get the nice bed, but am sure it will all work out wonderfully!

We were at Maya Chan on Thursday December 17 and were informed at the port there was seaweed and the water was "not clear" and had the option to cancel with full refund or go and enjoy ourselves (no discount). We went, had a great time. There people in the water floating around on the raft things they have and in the kayaks and there were men working all day on the beach cleaning up the seaweed.

If you're looking to just snorkel, then maybe don't go. But if not, go and have a great time. The staff is great and the food and drinks are yummy too.

I'd go back again, and again!

1042282704_MayaChanCostaMayaMexico(1).jpg.ac222a7d09c6a45954b5b03333bdf7ca.jpg

386540417_MayaChanCostaMayaMexico(8).jpg.da57870b64597ecf0923f7e005caee8e.jpg

Unfortunately, this was a big problem throughout the Caribbean and South Florida this summer. There was a massive sea grass die off this year. Because the currents in the Caribbean mostly travel west and north, the East coast of Mexico bears the brunt of alot of the dead grass.

Unfortunately, this was a big problem throughout the Caribbean and South Florida this summer. There was a massive sea grass die off this year. Because the currents in the Caribbean mostly travel west and north, the East coast of Mexico bears the brunt of alot of the dead grass.

Living in Florida, we're use to unpredictable beach conditions (seaweed, red tide, Vibrio vulnificus, and even those rare oil spills that can affect our coasts for years ) so it was really no big deal to us. We were just looking for time off the ship NOT shopping. But I can understand it being disappointing to those that don't get many beach days where they live.

Just gives us an excuse to go back another time!

Living in Florida, we're use to unpredictable beach conditions (seaweed, red tide, Vibrio vulnificus, and even those rare oil spills that can affect our coasts for years ) so it was really no big deal to us. We were just looking for time off the ship NOT shopping. But I can understand it being disappointing to those that don't get many beach days where they live.

Just gives us an excuse to go back another time!

That's the way we look at it too!! We live in Boston and you never know when the water will be ok to swim.

We were there in November, it was our 2nd time and already planning on going again in May.

We were there today, and the seagrass was a problem. They gave us a written notice when we got to the cab offering a refund, but we went anyway. SO GLAD WE DID! The beach is peaceful and nice even if there is seagrass, and we had a wonderful time. The food and drinks can't be beat, and they are the nicest people you'll ever meet. Hate that there were issues with the seagrass, but you can't control Mother Nature. (They sure try - they were trying to clean up as much seagrass as possible, but they were fighting a losing battle today).

We will return...loved Maya Chan.

Edited by Mal