8th visit to Noumea - want to visit something new!

Hey guys,

Will be visiting Noumea for the eighth time this month and looking for something new to see / do!

I actually love Noumea as a port, I've found getting out of where the ship docks they key.

I've visited Amadee Island, Duck Island, Lemon bay and neighbouring restaurants, Tjibaou Cultural Centre, Aquarium, and the general city tours etc.

Any suggestions is something new to see or do?

Thank you!

You could try Escapade Island, the ferry leaves from the marina a short walk from where the buses drop you off, you can also get a water taxi there as well.

We will be there for a 4th time in March and plan to do either Escapade or Amadee

Here's a good video of the Escapade Island (Island Maitre)

Edited by lagoon380
add more info

We (a group of 13) hired a private water taxi through Dalocean Charters. You can find them on TripAdvisor and contact by email. For 6 hours it was about $65AUD per person (depends on exchange rate). So it depends on what you are willing to pay but compared to a full day ship tour at Amadee it was a bargain. The only problem we had was the very strong wind and swell caused us to only stop at 2 islands...Goeland and Escapade. Usually you could go to 3 in that time. Escapade was a nice spot with the beach protected from the wind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a neat WW2 museum at 14 Ave Paul Doumer just 5 minutes walk from either terminals opp hospital. Covers all the key aspects of ww2 as it was experienced in New Caledonia. Couple dollars entry fee and has audio guide.

From memory it is near the corner of Reu du Gal Mangin.

Thanks for asking this question LP, I've been stuck twice now at the container wharf on a Sunday, did a boat snorkel tour last cruise and would recommend it, the day was VERY windy 35 knts.

the ferry leaves from the marina a short walk from where the buses drop you off,

Lagoon380 could you please explain that a bit more ? thanks

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2010.40.20%20AM.png

It's a short walk from the cruise terminal to Port Moselle, there are usually some markets there.

Walk along the marina where there is a row of small huts (see map) one of these huts sells tickets to the ferry which leaves from port moselle, it will open before the ferry is due to leave.

Getting To and From L’Escapade Island.

The Resort Boat “Coral Palms” which is a decent-size with internal seating, runs a scheduled service between L’Escapade Island and Port Moselle, the Downtown Noumea Marina, Ferry and Cruise Ship terminal. Port Moselle is only a few blocks and an easy walk to and from the centre of Noumea and the central Place De Cocotiers. L’Escapade Island resort is approximately 6 kilometres from Port Moselle.

bullets-gray.gif Resort Boat Schedule:

Depart Depart

Port Moselle Escapade Island

8:00am 8:30am

10:00am 10:30am

11:30am 2:00pm

2:30pm 3:00pm

4:30pm 5:00pm

5:30pm 6:00pm

7:00pm 11:00pm

· Additional evening transfers are scheduled on Fridays and Saturdays as well as Saturdays and Sundays November through March.

· Scheduled boat transfers are included in the tariff while staying at L’Escapade Island.

· Private boat transfers can be arranged at additional cost.

· A Helicopter transfer service is also available at a supplementary charge.

Thanks lagoon380 for the detailed reply, now know where to walk to, last trip I walked to the marina for a look and just to kill some time, but did not walk as far as you indicate, its now on the list of things to do.

What are you like at walking? last time we were there, wife and I walked to Anse Vata beach and back - about 12 klms in all. We basically took all day to do it so it was not excessive . Every other time we had been there , we had "flitted" here and there - but this slow long walk gave us a different perspective on the place. I had previously thought that I would not ever like to holiday there - but this walk changed my mind.

That was a good walk for you, my limit these days @ about 4.5 km per hour is about 20 km's with breaks, but getting a bit tired these days, spent a bit of time on that beach and surrounding area back in 1984, ah the good old days.

• 4 weeks later...
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2010.40.20%20AM.png

It's a short walk from the cruise terminal to Port Moselle, there are usually some markets there.

Walk along the marina where there is a row of small huts (see map) one of these huts sells tickets to the ferry which leaves from port moselle, it will open before the ferry is due to leave.

Getting To and From L’Escapade Island.

The Resort Boat “Coral Palms” which is a decent-size with internal seating, runs a scheduled service between L’Escapade Island and Port Moselle, the Downtown Noumea Marina, Ferry and Cruise Ship terminal. Port Moselle is only a few blocks and an easy walk to and from the centre of Noumea and the central Place De Cocotiers. L’Escapade Island resort is approximately 6 kilometres from Port Moselle.

bullets-gray.gif Resort Boat Schedule:

Depart Depart

Port Moselle Escapade Island

8:00am 8:30am

10:00am 10:30am

11:30am 2:00pm

2:30pm 3:00pm

4:30pm 5:00pm

5:30pm 6:00pm

7:00pm 11:00pm

· Additional evening transfers are scheduled on Fridays and Saturdays as well as Saturdays and Sundays November through March.

· Scheduled boat transfers are included in the tariff while staying at L’Escapade Island.

· Private boat transfers can be arranged at additional cost.

· A Helicopter transfer service is also available at a supplementary charge.

Thanks Lagoon380 and everyone for this thread. We are heading to Noumea on 3rd January. The Escapade tour is fully booked and the Lagoon snorkeling is fully booked! I was quite upset. From your message it seems like we can go to Escapade privately is that right? I heard only one tour is allowed there? Im struggling as we want to snorkel when there.

Just an update on the suggestion to stay on board and relax. They take these port days as opportunities to have staff training drill, and they had a lot of very loud announcements and emergency blast/signals. At Noumea they had lifeboat/tender training as well, and while it was very cute seeing them all scooting around the ship, the announcements seemed to roll from one to another!

On some of the other days that were tender ports, the tender announcements in the public areas are also very loud, and on Voyager tended to run around 3 hours before tender numbers were abandoned.

Just to forewarn people. I totally appreciate them doing safety drills, no complaints there. Just don't think you can sleep in (neighbours are up and about nice and early banging drawers and doors, excited kids running up and down the halls). You need to get out of your room, unless you don't want the cleaning, as the room attendants can only head out if they have finished all of their work. :)

Thanks Lagoon380 and everyone for this thread. We are heading to Noumea on 3rd January. The Escapade tour is fully booked and the Lagoon snorkeling is fully booked! I was quite upset. From your message it seems like we can go to Escapade privately is that right? I heard only one tour is allowed there? Im struggling as we want to snorkel when there.

yes it is the island resort ferry just be at the spot shown on the map before departure time and buy your tickets from the hut.

You can also get a water taxi to the island as well.

On Nov 28th our ship was stuck at that damn container wharf again, just hate it, this visit we went to Amedee Island for first time, Never again, saw a few fish and a bit of coral from glass bottom boat but the snorkleing was crap, and at $200 pp and lots of people raving about it, I thought it would be much better at Amedee :(, the best is Lifou.

next time in Noumea will be going to L’Escapade Island

On Nov 28th our ship was stuck at that damn container wharf again, just hate it, this visit we went to Amedee Island for first time, Never again, saw a few fish and a bit of coral from glass bottom boat but the snorkleing was crap, and at $200 pp and lots of people raving about it, I thought it would be much better at Amedee :(, the best is Lifou.

next time in Noumea will be going to L’Escapade Island

Shame about Amedee island, it really sounds like Escapade is the better option for us.:D

• 4 months later...

A report on our last visit to L’Escapade Island

I would like to thank Lagoon380 for suggesting a trip to L’Escapade Island, you do have to make your own way there and no guarantee that you will make it back to the ship in time before it sails.

On our last cruise in February 2016 my missus and I took the ferry to the island, and being February it was a blistering hot day, it would be much more pleasant in the cooler months.

It takes about ~15 minutes to walk to the marina from the MPT and the ferry ticket building is the very last building on the left, there were a lot of people on the ferry, the island its self is nice, and the trip out there was pleasant but the Snorkeling was crap.

When we arrived at the Island we were greeted by a man from the resort and we were told we could go any where on the Island , we walked up towards the top part of the island and propped on the beach as shown by the red arrow, it looked like a good spot to swim.

BUT it was very weedy, no coral and very little fish untill you swam out at least 100 meters to where it was a sandy bottom, and there were a few fish, we had a couple of swims and then the afternoon wind came up so we went around to the other side of the island but it was weedy there to.

It was too blistering hot to walk to the bottom part of the island to try and swim there so we gave up, we had a quick shower where they are provided near the beach, and then we had some lunch from a little food shop there, we each had a salad roll and a small can of drink which worked out to be about Aus $40.00 , you do need a lot of money when visiting these places, but the roll was fresh and tasty, and the drink fairly cold.

I cannot figure it out, you see people rave about the snorkleing at this island on other threads but we were disappointed with all the weed, if anybody knows a specific location thats off the beach that has good coral and fish please let me know, and I will try it next time.

when visiting Noumea L’Escapade Island is an alternative to Amedee island if you are looking for somewhere to go.

term_Image2.jpg

weedy.jpg

we each had a salad roll and a small can of drink which worked out to be about Aus $40.00 , you do need a lot of money when visiting these places, but the roll was fresh and tasty, and the drink fairly cold.

Bargain for french soil

A report on our last visit to L’Escapade Island

I would like to thank Lagoon380 for suggesting a trip to L’Escapade Island, you do have to make your own way there and no guarantee that you will make it back to the ship in time before it sails.

On our last cruise in February 2016 my missus and I took the ferry to the island, and being February it was a blistering hot day, it would be much more pleasant in the cooler months.

It takes about ~15 minutes to walk to the marina from the MPT and the ferry ticket building is the very last building on the left, there were a lot of people on the ferry, the island its self is nice, and the trip out there was pleasant but the Snorkeling was crap.

When we arrived at the Island we were greeted by a man from the resort and we were told we could go any where on the Island , we walked up towards the top part of the island and propped on the beach as shown by the red arrow, it looked like a good spot to swim.

BUT it was very weedy, no coral and very little fish untill you swam out at least 100 meters to where it was a sandy bottom, and there were a few fish, we had a couple of swims and then the afternoon wind came up so we went around to the other side of the island but it was weedy there to.

It was too blistering hot to walk to the bottom part of the island to try and swim there so we gave up, we had a quick shower where they are provided near the beach, and then we had some lunch from a little food shop there, we each had a salad roll and a small can of drink which worked out to be about Aus $40.00 , you do need a lot of money when visiting these places, but the roll was fresh and tasty, and the drink fairly cold.

I cannot figure it out, you see people rave about the snorkleing at this island on other threads but we were disappointed with all the weed, if anybody knows a specific location thats off the beach that has good coral and fish please let me know, and I will try it next time.

when visiting Noumea L’Escapade Island is an alternative to Amedee island if you are looking for somewhere to go.

term_Image2.jpg

weedy.jpg

Thank you for the feedback and the images, much appreciated!

From memory, I don't recall Amadee being very weedy for swimming or snorkelling, might be worth a try on your next visit.

Thanks again!