Caribbean Princess - Questions on Cabin and Kids activities

dee66

Hi,

We are considering a western Caribbean cruise next year from Houston. We have a choice of a minisuite on Dolphin deck aft or a mid ship balcony on Caribe deck. Price difference is only $300.

Any thoughts on which would be a better location, especially since we have a 10 year old that will be using the youth clubs, etc and the walking distances for us to the adult activities.

Also, how are the youth activities on board?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

We are considering a western Caribbean cruise next year from Houston. We have a choice of a minisuite on Dolphin deck aft or a mid ship balcony on Caribe deck. Price difference is only $300.

Any thoughts on which would be a better location, especially since we have a 10 year old that will be using the youth clubs, etc and the walking distances for us to the adult activities.

Also, how are the youth activities on board?

Thanks for the help.

My thoughts on the selection of a mini suite or a standard balcony cabin would not have anything to do where different activities are on the ship. My selection would be based on comfort and space in the cabin for 3 people and the size of the bathroom. The mini suite clearly wins out with a larger bathroom and a sofa in the cabin. In most, not all aft minis, there is an upper bunk plus a sofa bed. In these cabins it will be your choice which to use. Some minis can only handle the third person on the sofa bed, thus eliminating the use of the sofa for siting in the evening and blocking easy access to the balcony when the bed is open.

Adult activities are all over the ship so forward, aft, mid ship are all good. The youth center is on deck 16 near the aft elevators.

Edited by sknight

You didn't say which time of year you're considering, but there will be more kids in your kids' age group if going when school is out on break. There will still be a kids' program even when most kids are in school, but the full range of activities when there's more kids.

My girl has done five Princess cruises between the ages of 5 and 15 and liked hanging with kids her age.

The larger the cabin, the more comfortable everyone will be. Some near elevators and stairs is a HUGE bonus, IMO!

As far as walking distances....on cruises, you will be doing ALOT of walking....nothing is in the same places....things are scattered....so bring your comfy shoes!

Edited by cb at sea

Absolutely go for mini suite with 10 yo. I have sailed in both Caribe balcony and mini on CB/EP/RP (same design) and as much as I LOVE large Caribe balconies, it makes much more sense to have mini with 3rd passenger in cabin. The major difference is that standard balcony cabin wouldnt have a couch, so the 3rd person will have to use pullman bed on top of you. Mini has a couch that folds out into a bed and a separate TV. Plus you get larger bathroom with actual tub, not small shower and more interior/storage space. We only sail in minis now since my DS is getting bigger and requires more space :)

I think the overall footprint of the cabin+balcony is the same for mini and Caribe deck balcony, except extra space on balcony on Caribe is inside cabin space in mini.

As for activities, my DS loves Princess club. They have a lot of things going on for kiddos daily in different age groups. I think your will be in middle group (mine is still in Pelicans) and they have larger room with foosball table/video games and great view of the wake from what I remember.

Enjoy your cruise!

I too would go for the mini every time. The sleeping arrangements are so much better and the extra space everyone has makes for a much more relaxing holiday.

The tip I would give would be to look for a mini which sleeps four rather than three.

The reason is that these cabins should have a sofa bed and a Pullman. The Pullmans mean that the cabin reminds much more usable in the mornings before the steward stores it away.

Plus the last sofa bed my daughters had on the Caribean Princess was literally wooden boards covered with a strip of foam an inch thick as a mattress. It took numerous calls to housekeeping and three extra mattresses before it was possible to sleep on it!