Alaska itinerary comparison--Southbound or NOrthbound?

ctkathy

I'm comparing Alaska 7 night itineraries on the Coral and Islander. It seems like the Southbound Anchorage to Vancouver gives you more time in ports than the Northbound Vancouver to Anchorage. We are looking at 2nd half of August 2016 for active mature adult passengers. Both ships seem to have identical itineraries whether southbound or northbound, but I believe I read somewhere that the Coral was going in for a drydock for a refresher in early 2016. Anyone have recent personal experience with either of these?

We definitely want to either start or end in Vancouver rather than Seattle and definitely want to include Glacier Bay and plan on touring from Anchorage either before or after our cruise. Holland just has had so many bad reviews lately and that's why I'm leaning towards Princess. Only other line we've sailed is Azamara, so I'm sure it will be much different for us. Thanks for any input.

Northbound usually visits Glacier Bay and College Fjord, while Southbound does Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I have done B2B each way. When I did it from Whittier, we saw all of the glaciers. When I did it from Vancouver, we had too much fog to see Hubbard. I have no idea how often that happens.

Another thing to consider is your flights to departure port. My flights to Anchorage were brutal. I would never do that again. EM

We actually did both with a Princess land tour in between. We left the 29 of August and sailed northbound on the Grand, did the Off the Beaten Path tour, then caught the Star southbound. We like the northbound better, but then the weather was better. Glorious day in Juneau. The southbound cruise was the last of the season, and the weather was awful. Cold and foggy. Unfortunately weather is not anything Princess has control over.

We spent a few days in Vancouver after the last cruise.

Linda

We have done the SB three times. All 3 were the first part of June. The 1st and 2nd trips were on the Island Princess (before the 'controversial' refit during its drydock) that were preceded with a 5 day Princess landtour and then a 7 day DIY land tour.

This past June was a SB on the Coral Princess.

I have not been on the Island P. since the changes, but my understanding (from other CC posts) is that the Coral P. will not be going through the same structural changes. For that reason alone, I would give the Coral P. more points.

1. It has the International Cafe

2. It has the Universe Lounge (which was swallowed up by cabins and suites on the 'new and improved' Island).

3. it will still have the aft 'secret' areas on the Baja and Caribe decks with lounges that allows you to see the scenery unencumbered by crowds and the blue panels up on the top decks.

Out of 3 attempts to see Hubbard Glacier - we missed it twice (ice floes the 1st time; heavy storm the 2nd). The one time we did see it, it was worth the wait!

We found flying from the East coast to Seattle to spend a night or two before flying to Anchorage worked for us. When we finished the cruise in Vancouver, we again traveled back to Seattle to fly home after a night. This past June, we did the direct flight to Anchorage and the direct return from Vancouver. Will NOT do that again! It was a very long, arduous trip with multiple plane changes that added to the anxiety of late arrivals or missed flights.

Just a note to clarify that the port is NOT in Anchorage. You'd leave from Whittier - approximately 60 miles SE of Anchorage. It is a very small port that requires passing through a tunnel that has controlled access. Many people choose the Princess transfer, the Alaskan railroad or a 1 way rental drop off (although I believe there is only 1 rental car company that has an office in Whittier). There are also several private transfer companies you can easily find on line.

Personally, I prefer the SB cruise after touring first. The 1st 2 days are 'sea' days (glacier viewing days). The ports are 3 in a row with fairly early arrivals. The last day is a sea day traveling through some beautiful, scenic areas of the Inside Passage headed to Vancouver.

There is a lot to research when it comes to Alaska, and I credit CC with giving me enough information to make the best choices for our personal style of traveling.

Have fun putting your trip together! Regardless of what direction/route you decide on, Alaska will absolutely leave you in awe!

I have done 12 Alaska cruises, and they are all good.

If possible, I would choose one that includes both Glacier Bay and also College Fjord. Lots of glaciers and wildlife to see in College Fjord.

Not to worry, though, Hubbard Glacier is also awesome, as are Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm.

All are awesome!

Thank you all for so much great information. It sounds like I should look for a Southbound on Coral.

We chose the southbound but are on Island due to the dates my wife selected. Given the choice I would take Coral over Island in a heartbeat. We just did 17 days on Coral and it was a great cruise. The crew was absolutely fantastic - especially Faye in the MDR and Rhob in IC. You can bet that I not only dropped the "made a difference" card in the box for each of them but also mentioned them by name on the Princess survey.

I usually do a B2B every year on Princess. Usually the Northbound leg has a slightly longer time in Juneau, Southbound longer in Ketchikan. I like the Northbound route as it normally has time to do the all day tour to Tracy Arm from Juneau with Adventure Bound (you need at least 8am to 7m to do this) Very few ships are in port long enough for this tour,

Southbound ahs a very scenic sail away from Whittier and Hubbard is a step up from College Fjord. Personally I'd move up your cruise even a few weeks to early Aug, my preference would be June overall.

Thank you Doug h. I'm kind of locked in because my son is being married July 3 and parents have a 90th birthday Aug 14 and our friends can't do it mid- late July. friends of ours cruised Alaska late August this year and had good weather. I'm hoping for same.

Thank you Doug h. I'm kind of locked in because my son is being married July 3 and parents have a 90th birthday Aug 14 and our friends can't do it mid- late July. friends of ours cruised Alaska late August this year and had good weather. I'm hoping for same.

I've had decent weather on a couple of Aug trips, but things can change quickly once you hit Sept. A few weeks can make a big difference. I like earlier in the season mainly for the longer daylight hours

Edited by DougH