What to do in Falmouth for a family of 5

georgiacruiser34

Hey there! we are first time cruisers sailing on the independence of the seas in April. One of our stops is in Falmouth. I have heard so many things good and bad about the port. Any recommendations about good excursions for a family of five two adults and three kids 15, 13, 11? What about the Jewel? It is so expensive....is it worth it? How about the Catamaran snorkel cruise? Is margaritaville family friendly? Any good beaches close to the port? Could we spend the day just walking around the port itself?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about what to do there but from my experience, DO NOT walk around the port for the day. The port isn't very big and the surrounding area is an extremely poor shanty town which I would advise that you avoid.

BTW: Indy is a great ship. Have an amazing first cruise!

Been going through the same exercise for a couple of months now.

You need to go look through the Caribbean Ports of Call forums here on CC. A ton of information on Falmouth there.

I'd suggest looking into the Blue Hole. I think your kids are the perfect age for it. You might have to take a private tour, but there are many companies recommended here on RC. Check the Ports of Call forum.

Margaritaville is family friendly, but it still has a bar [which is no different than being on the ship].

The closest beaches are Red Stripe (RCI excursion), Burwood Public, St. Bran's Burg Public and Silver Sands Public beach. Doctors Cave Beach in Montego Bay is also popular. You have to take transportation to them.

Check http://caribya.com/falmouth/ for info.

Edited by docd

My suggestion will be to do an organized tour whether through the ship or a well recommended private one. The advice to go to the Ports of Call section is a great idea.

There is no way would I wander outside the port gates into town....

But that is only my opinion....:o

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Do not wander around the port. It is very small and not much there. It is all fenced in. In fact I wouldn't bother to get off the ship unless you have an excursion with RCI. We did Dunn's River Falls. All of you can do it together. I think it is about an hour van ride from the port. You need to have good water shoes and be prepared to tip in cash very well. Again, do not wander around.

My vote would be Margaritaville. Our family of 6, (all adults) just did this and it was pretty nice. Folks were drinking but it was all very respectable. We had fun. We went first thing in the morning. Hubbie and I left at lunch time. The rest came back later. There is food service there as well - a little pricey but the food looked wonderful! It is so close to the ship you could go back to the ship for lunch and return to the port area. There are some terrific videos of the port area on youtube. Those helped us get a feel for the area. Whatever you do, enjoy!

There were lots of kids at the Margarittaville pool when we were there this week. Maybe because Disney Wonder was in port when we were. After Lunch, it was less crowded.

Some who were in our pub crawl thought that Dunn's River was too rushed and crowded. That was our experience last time we did it. Maybe it is because this port is so far away.

Not much to do outside the port gates unless you have some type of tour.

Enjoy your cruise.

For sure, but only that you are a family of probably young children. I actually enjoy walking in Falmouth, cannot say it my favorite, but the cultural difference is significant. First time there we did a walking tour and enjoyed it now we go outside the "COMPOUND" and buy some small stuff and a Beer at a grocery store and set and sometime have enjoyable talks with the locals. Yes you will be approached but so what. Most vendors out side appreciate your business.

• 5 weeks later...
We are going to Dolphin Cove after looking at every option out there. We will have three 12 yr olds with us. There is more to do that swim with dolphins.

Where did you find options as far as who to take the excursion through? You're not going through the ship I assume?

My husband and I took our 3 teens to the Blue Hole one summer and to Red Stripe Beach on another trip.

The Blue Hole is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Falmouth. We hired Courtney Taylor to take us there. He was great. Within 5 minutes, you feel completely at ease at being in Jamaica. The kids still say this was the best excursion ever. I know there are pictures of this here on CC.

Red Stripe Beach is $29 per person. You can buy the passes now or on the ship or at the port. We did wait until we got to the port to buy them. I wanted to see what the weather was like. There are buses going and coming back continuously. The beach was not crowded when we arrived but more and more people came. The beach is secured with a gate. It is only a 10 minute ride. There was a DJ playing all of the music that teens like and he tries to get the kids to line dance. My girls loved it, but I heard some adults complaining that it was too loud. There was a little shade but then I ended up in the sun and had to move. You also have to pay for chairs. My husband felt it was overpriced; he was comparing it to the free beach in Grand Cayman. I just don't think there is an alternative in Jamaica this close to Falmouth. Plus, my kids were entertained by the DJ.