Has anyone recently returned from QE ?

Host Hattie

There have been a few comments about new menus on Queen Elizabeth. At the World Club Party on QV last week, Commodore Rynd mentioned that the menus were being trialled on the QE and would be rolled out across the fleet.

Does anyone have copies of the trial menus or can remember what was on them ? Any particular hits or misses ? Any old favourites gone or new favourites appeared ?

Thanks

We are in the QE on Wednesday,so can let you know. I don't like the way Cunard say it's a trial and then rolled out on the rest of the ships. Surely a trial means you ask for feedback from the guests , and listen to them before deciding to roll it out. They did the same with change in toiletries, we were in the so called trial and despite many complaints they still went ahead.

Btw we still go in Cunard a lot and have already booked for next Sept, just to prove I'm not being too grumpy about their actions!

Edited by violetta58

I don't like the way Cunard say it's a trial and then rolled out on the rest of the ships. Surely a trial means you ask for feedback from the guests , and listen to them before deciding to roll it out. They did the same with change in toiletries, we were in the so called trial and despite many complaints they still went ahead.

Hi Violetta. Your post interested me. I remember seeing people complain about the toiletries, but I never did find out the reason why. Personally, I prefer the new toiletries, and a friend who cruised Cunard for the first time was really impressed because it's the make he used to buy for himself. What were the complaints? (I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm just interested to see the other side of the situation.)

Hi Violetta. Your post interested me. I remember seeing people complain about the toiletries, but I never did find out the reason why. Personally, I prefer the new toiletries, and a friend who cruised Cunard for the first time was really impressed because it's the make he used to buy for himself. What were the complaints? (I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm just interested to see the other side of the situation.)

We have always liked the old brand Gilcrist and Soames, smaller bottles replaced regularly and one each in a cabin for two , good brand and can be brought ashore etc. The new toiletries although supposed to be a good make is not the same as the ones you get in John Lewis, totally different smell so I think Cunard had a cheaper batch made up for the ship. Also while the bottles are bigger, you don't get one each so have to wait until the steward gives you a refil. As I said we were there when it was on trial in the grills and we just didn't like it ( luckily for that cruise , they still had the old make there ) . We had a feedback form and many I know said we preferred the old make but they didn't listen. At the end of the day it is just about saving money. Just don't pretend you want our opinion Still love Cunard though !

At the risk of continuing the hijack of my own thread, I like the current toiletries and I doubt we will ever know whether the feedback was negative. I have never had any problems getting refills and in the Britannia showers I doubt there is room for more than 1 bottle of each !

Quercus may not be stocked in John Lewis but it is on the Penhaligon's website, I don't think it's a special "cheap " version made for Cunard.

Thanks for offering to report back on the menus, have a great trip.

Edited by Host Hattie

Thank you so much for your answer, Violetta.

Yes, Hattie, I gather Quercus has been around for some years and is still current. My friend was given a bottle of shower lotion in that fragrance just last month. (It came from the Penhaligon's shop at an outlet centre.)

As with all fragrances, it's personal taste. This one seems suitable for both men and women.

Our steward kept bringing us more and more bottles on our last cruise!

Edited to add: I've just checked the John Lewis website and they still stock the Quercus range.

Edited by fantasy51

I was on the QE in September. When did the trial of the new menus start?

The only menu we brought home was the special one to commemorate the Queen's long reign.

Appetisers:

Walnut Crusted Smoked Salmon

Foie Gras, Duck Confit & Artichoke Terrine

Escargot with a Burgundy Sauce

Tortilla Soup

Beef Consomme

Chilled Cucumber & Mint Soup

Entrees:

Mediterranean Vegetable Lasagne

Lobster Tail with Jumbo Shrimp in a Sesame Crust

Duck a l'Orange

Fillet of Beef Wellington