Cruise Ships thru the new Panama Canal

Hflors

So. When in the process does the Captain know whether she is "squatting" enough? Are her brakes good enough to stop her? :D

Some of it is empirical data from previous shallow passages in other locations, but the ship has draft sensors that measure the draft at bow, stern, and port and starboard midships, so they can see the change in draft, hence the change in air draft.

The new canal is scheduled to carry the first ships on June 26 of this year. Princess currently doesn't have plans to use the new canal due to the extra charges.

This thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354813

has a link to the Princess winter/spring 2017-18 cruises expected to open for booking next week. Including Caribbean Princess sailing the partial canal transit through the new locks starting October 21, 2017.

And note that the projected Government Taxes and Fees for those sailings are less than those for the full transits through the older locks on the older Panamax Princess ships. My guess is that will almost certainly change.

Edited by fishywood

This thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354813

has a link to the Princess winter/spring 2017-18 cruises expected to open for booking next week. Including Caribbean Princess sailing the partial canal transit through the new locks starting October 21, 2017.

And note that the projected Government Taxes and Fees for those sailings are less than those for the full transits through the older locks on the older Panamax Princess ships. My guess is that will almost certainly change.

Thanks for the link. Possibly the Caribbean Princess is the ship that was alluded to as having a transit reservation.

I believe you are correct about the taxes fees for the partial transit, I'm sure they will be adjusted up when the cruise becomes available for booking. Presently the Canal does not differentiate in the tolls between a partial and full transit.

I can see those who have already done a passage through the Gatun locks booking the transit through the new locks, but I think they will be missing some of the experience. I wonder if there will be a 'circular' transits that go in /out the old locks, and out the new ones? EM

I can see those who have already done a passage through the Gatun locks booking the transit through the new locks, but I think they will be missing some of the experience. I wonder if there will be a 'circular' transits that go in /out the old locks, and out the new ones? EM

Seriously doubt that. Only those ships that require the new locks due to size constraints will use the new locks. So a ship that could go through the old locks would not then use the new ones.