kids golf clubs on ruby princess

bccanadamom

Hi there, we are trying out princess on a quick 3 day LA-Vancouver cruise in a week :) Wondering if the ship provides kids putters for the mini golf or if I need to pack one for my son - it will be a long 3 days if he spots the mini-golf and he can't play!

We aren't expecting many kids on the ship so if there are other recommendations for children would be greatly appreciated (he's 6 and very busy - I know about the basketball course which we'll make use of - hoping the pool will be warm enough to use too although I realize weather will be sketchy).

Thanks! Looking forward to our first trial with Princess - the feedback here on CC has us very excited as we're not looking for a big party but rather some great food and relaxation as a family.

Hi,

Just a heads up - some of the ships have been removing the mini golf, replacing with a putting green and croquet. I don't have current info on Ruby - maybe look for a recent review or ask a recent cruiser on these boards. Online deck plans are not current for this.

The Princess kids clubs are awesome. You can phone Princess and ask for the numbers in his age group to see how many kids there are booked on the ship. Sometimes they combine groups if there are only a few. Depending on the ages they may combine them in either the Pelicans room or the Shockwaves room. The activities are different in each room.

We have found that if there are very few kids, we can talk to the club staff about what our kids want to do -- for example they haven't liked doing crafts so we always let the staff know that if there are crafts, we are ok if the kids do something else.

You can suggest more outdoor activities perhaps - they have an outdoor kids play area. Also, you can probably accompany him to use the outdoor area if the staff have the kids doing something indoors - just ask.

The ship is huge and our kids always enjoyed just wandering and exploring!

There are milkshakes at the soft ice cream place on the pool deck. You can pay per shake or get the sodas and more plan that allows unlimited shakes and mocktails plus fountain pop.

Enjoy!!

Hi,

Just a heads up - some of the ships have been removing the mini golf, replacing with a putting green and croquet. I don't have current info on Ruby - maybe look for a recent review or ask a recent cruiser on these boards. Online deck plans are not current for this.

The Princess kids clubs are awesome. You can phone Princess and ask for the numbers in his age group to see how many kids there are booked on the ship. Sometimes they combine groups if there are only a few. Depending on the ages they may combine them in either the Pelicans room or the Shockwaves room. The activities are different in each room.

We have found that if there are very few kids, we can talk to the club staff about what our kids want to do -- for example they haven't liked doing crafts so we always let the staff know that if there are crafts, we are ok if the kids do something else.

You can suggest more outdoor activities perhaps - they have an outdoor kids play area. Also, you can probably accompany him to use the outdoor area if the staff have the kids doing something indoors - just ask.

The ship is huge and our kids always enjoyed just wandering and exploring!

There are milkshakes at the soft ice cream place on the pool deck. You can pay per shake or get the sodas and more plan that allows unlimited shakes and mocktails plus fountain pop.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the advice on the kids clubs - my son hasn't been super fond of them but maybe I'll make some suggestions based on your advice!

I love Princess for many things they do well, but their mini golf courses are not good in my opinion. We were on the Crown last year which is almost identical to the Ruby, and the course was just awful. I've heard they've removed it from the crown since then. But, don't set your sons expectations too high...it could be pretty bad.

I also love the fresh water pools and the high number of them on the grand class ships, but another thing Princess does poorly is keeping them at a decent temperature. We've done mostly west coast cruises and the pools are always so cold. We like princess, but these two things always irk me a little. Have a great time though.

Edited by jbobst

I love Princess for many things they do well, but their mini golf courses are not good in my opinion. We were on the Crown last year which is almost identical to the Ruby, and the course was just awful. I've heard they've removed it from the crown since then. But, don't set your sons expectations too high...it could be pretty bad.

I also love the fresh water pools and the high number of them on the grand class ships, but another thing Princess does poorly is keeping them at a decent temperature. We've done mostly west coast cruises and the pools are always so cold. We like princess, but these two things always irk me a little. Have a great time though.

Thanks for the reply - I'd heard the courses weren't great, fortunately my 6 year old doesn't have high expectations - as long as there's a club and a hole he'll be happy :)