Insight on the change from formal to evening chic

HawaiianShirtDay

I agree. My wife has been looking forward to wearing her gowns

on this cruise since we booked it. We've been cruising more casual lines lately and booked the Reflection because we thought it would be special at Christmas and I know she would like to wear some formal dresses again. We used to dress formal on HCL cruises but haven't done one in a while. She looks stunning in her gowns and there is no way I can get away with a nice dark suit, let alone jeans and a shirt out. She has suggested we forget about the formal but I know it means a lot to her so I'm okay with wearing formal even if we're the only couple on the ship dressed that way.

I would have a bet with you that you will not be the only couple wearing formal please let us know, go enjoy do your own thing.

Bully for you.

Same with us...we'll in our '40s...not sure if that's considered "old timer", but we still dress formal and even if we'll be the only ones that night, it's okay. I love casual/comfortable as much as the next person for everyday life, but a formal night on a cruise is like a fancy wedding or new year's eve night out: a special occasion with the promise of romance, ambiance and magic. I don't get the same feeling in dress slacks and a top. My husband loves dressing up...he's hating this X change way more than me! :)

Having said that, I certainly don't judge anyone else and do understand why X made the decision. My real pet peeve is when there IS a dress code and people ignore it - particularly when I see couples plan a beautiful formal wedding and see those few guests who show up in jeans and polo shirts. (Happened at two different weddings recently.) I believe it's a sign of respect to honor an occasion by dressing in a way that reflects the invitation request and shows you cared enough about the event to put some time and effort into your appearance. (Sorry...that was a side rant!);)

Same with us...we'll in our '40s...not sure if that's considered "old timer", but we still dress formal and even if we'll be the only ones that night, it's okay. I love casual/comfortable as much as the next person for everyday life, but a formal night on a cruise is like a fancy wedding or new year's eve night out: a special occasion with the promise of romance, ambiance and magic. I don't get the same feeling in dress slacks and a top. My husband loves dressing up...he's hating this X change way more than me! :)

Having said that, I certainly don't judge anyone else and do understand why X made the decision. My real pet peeve is when there IS a dress code and people ignore it - particularly when I see couples plan a beautiful formal wedding and see those few guests who show up in jeans and polo shirts. (Happened at two different weddings recently.) I believe it's a sign of respect to honor an occasion by dressing in a way that reflects the invitation request and shows you cared enough about the event to put some time and effort into your appearance. (Sorry...that was a side rant!);)

Well said. My Wife and I are in our 50s and couldn't agree with you more.

Weighing in as another couple in our 30s in favor of this change. We all agree that looking nice is important to the success of a party, but let's be honest, "nice" is defined quite differently by different groups. As a 35-year-old, I agree with Celebrity's pending definition of "nice." We're accustomed to the Chicago dining circuit, where dark denim and an untucked button-down shirt or a cute dress is as formal as it gets at 95% of the city's restaurants. Neither of us are required to dress beyond jeans for our jobs, either. We're never going to show up to a meal in swimwear or ragged t-shirts but I don't think I could pay my husband to wear a tie on vacation.

We just completed our first cruise (ever) on the Constellation and had a lovely time, but my husband was dreading formal night from the time he realized it existed--even though we were dining in Luminae and it didn't apply to us anyway. I love a good party dress, but I get the impression that some experienced travelers wouldn't necessarily consider that up to snuff either!

On a side note, my husband overheard an older gentleman in a lounge make a disparaging comment about "they're already wearing sports coats" well within his hearing. It was both rude and, since we weren't in the MDR or the theater anyway, irrelevant. I'm sure none of you were that man, but it's a little hard for me to take seriously the opinions of people who think they can behave rudely just because they are wearing tuxes.

On a side note, my husband overheard an older gentleman in a lounge make a disparaging comment about "they're already wearing sports coats" well within his hearing. It was both rude and, since we weren't in the MDR or the theater anyway, irrelevant. I'm sure none of you were that man, but it's a little hard for me to take seriously the opinions of people who think they can behave rudely just because they are wearing tuxes.

There is a subset of longtime cruisers who think they know it all even though they haven't read their cruise docs in 20 years. I just smile at them.

We all agree that looking nice is important to the success of a party, but let's be honest, "nice" is defined quite differently by different groups. As a 35-year-old, I agree with Celebrity's pending definition of "nice." We're accustomed to the Chicago dining circuit, where dark denim and an untucked button-down shirt or a cute dress is as formal as it gets at 95% of the city's restaurants.

This is not meant to be argumentative, but just in the spirit of friendly discussion, I totally agree with above definition of nicely dressed. Frankly, it's a lot nicer than I see most folks in FL dress for a top restaurant or club! :)

But I always thought "nice" was what the MDR was supposed to be every night? I'm fairly new to cruising, but I thought "formal night" was always the one night during the voyage designed as extra-special. Where you pulled out all the stops - like you would attending an elegant wedding, Academy Awards ceremony, night at the Met.

Dark denim and untucked shirts - while definitely now considered nice/dressy - still doesn't seem to be standard apparel for that type of standout evening.

But I get it. Many people don't want that experience on their vacation. I'm just one of the people feeling a bit sad that it will no longer exist for those of us who do. I know we can still dress up any way we want, but when the whole reason for it and theme is gone, I'm not sure it'll feel the same. After all, I'm always free to go out any Sat night and dress in a formal gown to dine at TGI Fridays - but somehow I don't feel motivated to do so.

(I will say in light of the ridiculous baggage fees, I think more than 1 formal night on a 7-day cruise is a bit overkill though - and makes it less special.)

This is not meant to be argumentative, but just in the spirit of friendly discussion, I totally agree with above definition of nicely dressed. Frankly, it's a lot nicer than I see most folks in FL dress for a top restaurant or club! :)

But I always thought "nice" was what the MDR was supposed to be every night? I'm fairly new to cruising, but I thought "formal night" was always the one night during the voyage designed as extra-special. Where you pulled out all the stops - like you would attending an elegant wedding, Academy Awards ceremony, night at the Met.

No argumentativeness taken! Like I said we're also new to cruising but I can see your point. I'm not sure how many people in our age set, at least that I know, even own that kind of clothing, though. If I need something extra special for a formal wedding, I rent it from Rent the Runway, which has a three-day limit so doesn't really work for cruising. My husband ditches his tie at events at the first possible acceptable moment.

Evening chic does sound like a step up from what I'd consider "smart casual" anyway--this may be an unpopular sartorial opinion but I find premium denim to be classier than khakis, for example. If "evening chic" were the baseline then "formal night" would make more sense, and perhaps that was the case in the past. It might also have made more sense to retain formal night on longer cruises with a more traditional clientele, but that would probably generate major confusion.

Anyway . . . the change seems to reflect a shift to draw in people like us. If not for Luminae we'd probably have just gone the specialty restaurant route, but I figure that's not appealing or financially comfortable for everyone, and what a bummer to feel compelled to eat at the buffer for dinner because of your packing choices. (Our specialty dining meal was so much better than Luminae that we might do that in the future regardless but that's a different post altogether.) We booked a 2017 sailing, so it has been successful in our case at least. :D

Retired professional and I TOTALLY agree with the OP. After many years, of dragging unwanted or thinking I had to buy something special for a CRUISE I quit a long time a go. NOW we always does WELL and evening Chic is great.

I really think they should have some venue(that they can book} for people who dress "FORMALLY" for a special occasion.

Having said that I hope they do keep a reasonable dress code for the MDR.

I'm not sure how many people in our age set, at least that I know, even own that kind of clothing, though. :D I sure didn't...my husband actually surprised me with a formal dress as my birthday gift last year, since he knew we booked a cruise with 2 formal nights and wanted me to have something "decent" to wear. Most guys hate dressing up like you said, but he loves it for special occasions.

Liked the previous poster's idea to make MDR more casual for the masses, but designate a smaller, more intimate venue as formal dress only maybe for a night - that would be great. I could see an intimate jazzy/crooner type of venue working well - a classic supper club throwback feel.

What has how you think you were brought up, having a Master's Degree and being successful at work got to do with the debate on Formal Dress? :rolleyes:

Should we take your view more seriously than those who say have just a humble Honours Degree?

I think he is just pointing out the absurdity of characterising casual dressers as uneducated poor-mannered slobs.

I have to dress formally - even with the advent of Chic. [emoji33]- (SWMBO likes to 'dress up')

I only have a degree from the University of life, an exemption from the 11+ and a distinction in my Cycling Proficiency test.

So Should i be characterised as a formal dresser, uneducated , poor-mannered slob ?

Will contact Celebrity to suggest breaking down the Captains Club Categories into educated and non-educated.

there could categories like

dim Zenith,

thick select,

'D minus Elite Plus',

or an Elite Ignoramus

Seriously the snobbery displayed has gone from ridiculous to incredulous.

'I have been on thousands of boat trips' 'we need separate areas for suite inhabitants' ' people who wear jeans are slobs ' to ' look at me I have a .... qualification'

Thank goodness the Unemployment Office pays for my cruises[emoji33]

Edited by LA_Design

I have to dress formally - even with the advent of Chic. [emoji33]- (SWMBO likes to 'dress up')

I only have a degree from the University of life, an exemption from the 11+ and a distinction in my Cycling Proficiency test.

So Should i be characterised as a formal dresser, uneducated , poor-mannered slob ?

Will contact Celebrity to suggest breaking down the Captains Club Categories into educated and non-educated.

dim Zenith,

thick select,

'D minus Elite Plus',

or an Elite Ignoramus

'I have been on thousands of boat trips' 'we need separate areas for suite inhabitants' ' people who wear jeans are slobs ' to ' look at me I have a .... qualification'

Like it. My only issue is that my Wife and I have finally made it to Elite for our forthcoming Eclipse Cruise in July and I don't have a Degree, although she does. The ignominy of it all.

Seriously though, to the elitist snobs that cruise, Get a life!

I will wear what I like when I like and am really not interested in what others wear. I will notice a stunning gown though, or a scruff.

What I find sad is all these people who seem to have nothing but jeans in their wardrobes. I can't imagine how boring that is.

Perhaps they are like my Nana's cleaning cloths - every one had a special purpose (unknown to anyone else) which was strictly adhered to:D Bless her.

No dress if it is hot. No nice sexy dress to go to a party in. No lucky dress:p

Just jeans.

dim Zenith,

thick select,

'D minus Elite Plus',

or an Elite Ignoramus

Indeed - first-world problems...

Can I ask though - when you go to the Social Security office to collect your Dole cheque - how much do you normally tip ?

:D

Congratulations LA Design and Higgy64 two of the funniest posts on CC eeeeever!!!!

Edited by tine-tine
Add quote

Indeed - first-world problems...

Can I ask though - when you go to the Social Security office to collect your Dole cheque - how much do you normally tip ?

:D

Well that is a good question. Up until last year I sent my Butler to collect the cheque. Now they just pay via BACS direct to the Offshore dollar account [emoji41]

Easily, my butler has butler's.

I believe the term is under-butler understand that under him one has valets and footmen. However the meanies at Social Security frown on too many servants as they claim not to have an unlimited fund. [emoji33]

Therefore I just admit to one Butler [emoji41]

Peasants.

yes our estate does have pheasants

but again Soc Sec get a bit anxious about paying for gamekeepers - we put these guys down as 'carers'. they do care for the pheasants- at least until the 12 bores come out . The Civil servants do appreciate a brace or two as a 'christmas tip'

[emoji41]

Edited by LA_Design

but again Soc Sec get a bit anxious about paying for gamekeepers - we put these guys down as 'carers'. they do care for the pheasants- at least until the 12 bores come out . The Civil servants do appreciate a brace or two as a 'christmas tip'

[emoji41]

Have you tried claiming the beaters as dependents? After all, they're depending on you having a shoot, for sure!

Have you tried claiming the beaters as dependents? After all, they're depending on you having a shoot, for sure!

nice one . [emoji41]

perhaps the extra benefits could get me an upgrade to AAAAqua or even a suite - would Cel provide a discounted rate if one brought along one's own butler ?[emoji485]

[emoji41]

There is no 'h' in 'peasants'. A simple misunderstanding. I was referring to the "meanies at social security".