ESCAPE not a review, just MHO's

Golfin55

1) embarkation - Smooth & Fast

2) ship, been in the away ships no WOW factor

3) cabin - clean because it's new.

4) had a B6 large balc. Had 2 chairs, small drink table, large round table and a lounge chair. Very spacious.

5) cabin steward - accommodating and efficient.

6) had the old version if the dining package. Only ate in specialty restaurants. Margaritaville was included with the old package. We thought Lè' Bistro was our favorite.

7) Did not catch any shows, just not our thing.

8) Bigger ropes course. [emoji3][emoji1][emoji4][emoji7]

9) slides 🤓[emoji1]

10) Buffet, well it is what it is. [emoji90]

11) overall service, smiles from staff seemed forced. But overall did there respective jobs professionally. Some rude staff members, but that was NOT indicative of most of our interactions with various staff members.

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask.

Were you just off today? If so, any sense on how crowded Margaritaville was for the week? Could you tell if the bar was accessible for walk-up service without dining there? How about District Brew House - any experience with sharing?

Welcome back to reality! Thanks for taking the time to share some of your experiences.

TheDougOut

MV - walk right in all week. No wait went 2x no wait at 12:30 for lunch. The bar, 5 o'clock somewhere. Fun place for Karaoke. Was busy at times. But lively.

Never went to DBH. Spent lots of time across the hall at FR. GREAT FOOD and drinks.

Welcome back from your cruise and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I'm most interested in hearing what you did in Tortola since I've never been there.

Tortola IMHO a waste of a port. It's your basic Carib shopping port. Lots of construction with the port expansion going on. Signs day coming in 2015. Looks like another year or so away from completion.

However, the couple in the room next to us went to the Baths and said it was a highlight of their cruise. So, I guess it depends on what you want to do on Tortola.

TheDougOut

MV - walk right in all week. No wait went 2x no wait at 12:30 for lunch. The bar, 5 o'clock somewhere. Fun place for Karaoke. Was busy at times. But lively.

Great to hear about FR - can't wait to try.

Regarding the bar, I was referring to the one back behind margaritaville - near the doors inside to the Spice H2O access (assuming similar setup to -away ships). Do you know if that still allows walk up service?

I'm most interested in hearing what you did in Tortola since I've never been there.

I've sailed (44 foot catarman) out of Tortola and St Thomas, and the Baths are beautiful, but my favourite is still White Bay on Jost Van Dyke. The Soggy Dollar Bar and One Love and Gertrude's for lunch, her roti is out of this world.

That is my plan for the Tortola stop in February :)

6) had the old version if the dining package. Only ate in specialty restaurants. Margaritaville was included with the old package. We thought Lè' Bistro was our favorite.

Did you try Food Republic with the UDP?

If so, what was the charge (if any)?

If so, how would you rate what you had?

Different people are having different experiences.

Did you try Food Republic with the UDP?

If so, what was the charge (if any)?

If so, how would you rate what you had?

Different people are having different experiences.

No, I asked about the UDP 25% discount was told they do not participate. To be honest, I did not really give a Sh$t or think it was a battle worth fighting as we enjoyed our meals there. And had so much fun with the excellent wait staff. I'm sure I could have spent hours of my vacation fighting it or writing NCL from home. But I don't have that kind of time.

BTW, I highly recommend the Rock Shrimp roll & pork belly dumplings🤓

We went last year and joined another group from our roll call on a private charter with Aristocat. It was AWESOME. We went snorkeling, hung out on a very tiny island, and went to the soggy dollar bar/beach. Was the highlight of our cruise.

The only thing I would recommend is asking if the charter can meet you at the dock with the boat. I think they could have done that if we'd paid the docking fee, but we didn't think to ask. Was a kind'a long ride to where they dock the boat.

http://www.aristocatcharters.com

No, I asked about the UDP 25% discount was told they do not participate. To be honest, I did not really give a Sh$t or think it was a battle worth fighting as we enjoyed our meals there. And had so much fun with the excellent wait staff. I'm sure I could have spent hours of my vacation fighting it or writing NCL from home. But I don't have that kind of time.

I just posted the UDP T&Cs post July 2015 on another thread

https://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

I think NCL should honor their black and white terms and conditions, even if the discount is peanuts.

SDP T&C

...food republic, carlo's bake shop items, the bake shop, ice cream bar, gelato, specialty items in the asian restaurant, chef's table, special occasion/holiday menus (new year's, christmas, etc.), jazz brunch, wine lovers and murder mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the specialty dining packages.

The UDP was discontinued after 7/1/2015...replaced by the SDP.

If you purchased (or was promo'd for) the UDP...

...For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

... An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces.

Edited by computerworks

Just got off the Escape yesterday. When I asked our server about the 25% discount she told me it didn't apply there. I told her (very politely) that it's not a big deal but I believed it was according to the terms and conditions which I left in our room. About a minute later she came back saying she spoke with the manager who said I was correct and she would adjust our bill. I think we ended up saving around $8 or $9 with the discount, will have to look at our receipts when we get home tonight.

I just posted the UDP T&Cs post July 2015 on another thread

https://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

I think NCL should honor their black and white terms and conditions, even if the discount is peanuts.

They will if you speak to the right person and how you speak with him/her. Some staff members don't know about the discount or are just as confused about the different dining plans and changes as some of us here.

Tortola IMHO a waste of a port. It's your basic Carib shopping port. Lots of construction with the port expansion going on. Signs day coming in 2015. Looks like another year or so away from completion.

However, the couple in the room next to us went to the Baths and said it was a highlight of their cruise. So, I guess it depends on what you want to do on Tortola.

The ports on this cruise were not that exciting to me either and neither were the port times. I think our Tortola day is 7-3. We have been to the Bath's (highly recommend) and to Cane Garden Bay (lovely beach) so we booked a ship excursion to Jost Van Dyke via catamaran to get the most out of our day. Nassau from 12-7 is again an odd port time to me and the beaches only so-so to me so we booked a 3.5 hr private catamaran excursion and will go snorkeling in the Bahamas for the first time. Since we have a full day in St. Thomas we will make our way to St. John by way of the ferry. One look at that itinerary and I thought that what we chose to do on our port days was going to be essential to our enjoyment of our cruise more so than on other Caribbean cruises that we have been on.

Was on this trip as well. Only did specialties Cagneys, Le Bistro, and Tep were all fantastic. La Cuchina was terrible (we hated it so much we canceled our second res there immediately. Bad food, bad service, just...bad), and the meat in Moderno was close to inedible. Only saving grace of Moderno was the sushi on the salad bar.

6&8

Thanks for the feedback. We are thinking of going to the baths. Sounds like an adventure.

1) embarkation - Smooth & Fast

2) ship, been in the away ships no WOW factor

3) cabin - clean because it's new.

4) had a B6 large balc. Had 2 chairs, small drink table, large round table and a lounge chair. Very spacious.

5) cabin steward - accommodating and efficient.

7) Did not catch any shows, just not our thing.

8) Bigger ropes course. [emoji3][emoji1][emoji4][emoji7]

9) slides 🤓[emoji1]

10) Buffet, well it is what it is. [emoji90]

11) overall service, smiles from staff seemed forced. But overall did there respective jobs professionally. Some rude staff members, but that was NOT indicative of most of our interactions with various staff members.

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask.

Would you book again?

Was on this trip as well. Only did specialties Cagneys, Le Bistro, and Tep were all fantastic. La Cuchina was terrible (we hated it so much we canceled our second res there immediately. Bad food, bad service, just...bad), and the meat in Moderno was close to inedible. Only saving grace of Moderno was the sushi on the salad bar.

6&8

Wow - good to know!

Wow - good to know!

On the other hand, we found Modernos delicious. Of course the stuff they initially brought out was over-cooked for our taste, but they came and asked what temperature we wanted, and then brought out exactly what we hoped for.

Stephen

Just off of the escape, and I have really mixed feelings about the ship. I'm working on my review, but wanted to share a few quick thoughts. I went with my parents and my sister. We all got the dinning package and ended up getting our money returned. We were not able to get reservations at any restaurant and were told that you couldn't use the package with out a reservation. Even without the package, reservations were impossible to get. I met one person who made reservations on line before departure, and when she got on board they had no record of them.

As for Margaritaville, the food was good, no wait. The only problem we had with it the band was so loud that the waitress couldn't hear what we ordered and messed up the order. We were given free desert as an apology. There have been numerous complaints, but the music director doesn't seem to care.

My full review will be up in a couple of days. I enjoyed learning about the ship before I left and hope to help others.

Edited by Coffee cruiser