Entertainment and Music on Silhouette

tonyd285

Just off the Silhouette and ALL the production shows are now history. Had a backstage tour which was ridiculous as all the costumes and all the sets were gone. We got to see the last Broadway Nights show which we have seen several times before and it was one of our favorites. Who knows what's to be!!!! Didn't care for several of the entertainers and can't comment too much of the music around the ship other than to say that the music in the Oceanview is still way toooooo loud.

Really? We were on Silhouette for Jan 17th 7 day cruise. There were no production shows. I assumed that was because they were transitioning to doing their own shows. Maybe we were a test audience? They had guest entertainers, which they shared with Reflection. At each port, the entertainers switched ships. We had a Beatles re-enactment group, which was spot on and appealed to the baby boomers and older crowd. We skipped the juggler because that's not our thing. There was a fabulous vocalist comedienne from the UK, 2 slightly naughty stand up comics whose acts seemed geared to American humor, the Tenors of Rock (who were so-so, 70s, 80s stuff). It seemed that the entertainment was intended to appeal to a wide age range. I'd be happy if they continued with the guest acts. But if you enjoy the production shows, I can certainly understand your disappointment. The DJ in Quasar played hits from oldies to recent and for once there were passengers dancing in there after the shows.

I enjoyed the two house bands, a mix of Latin, oldies, some Adele. They played an hour or less at a time and not often enough. I missed the live steel pan music music around the pool.

Edited by Marelaine
added comment

Oh dear. Not liking what I am reading. We enjoy the shows and may have to reconsider our sailing next April.

I have yet to see shows that compare to what is on the Oasis and Allure.

I would expect very good entertainment from Celebrity. :)

Edited by janetz

Oh dear. Not liking what I am reading. We enjoy the shows and may have to reconsider our sailing next April.

I have yet to see shows that compare to what is on the Oasis and Allure.

I would expect very good entertainment from Celebrity. :)

But if one cruises frequently, how often can one watch Hairspray and Chicago? I like Celebrity's mix better When they get the better talents. Jane Curry will be a guest entertainer on the April 23rd Silhouette cruise. She is our favourite guest entertainer!!

The last information I have is that Silhouette has

Ray Brown Jazz Quartet

Front Row House band

Liv & Joe Duo

Michael Redden Guitar

We were on Eclipse for six weeks and we went to the 3 production shows once. (Topper, Rock and Chandelier all in house productions including the rope acts)

If they play the music we like we will go again. When the music is loud and we say what is that... we don't go for encores and they did not get standing ovations.. oh wait we might have left early... ;)

• 2 months later...

Not a great review of the entertainment for our Baltic cruise. The in house singers and dancers were more talented than those on previous cruises, however the show themes were lacking. No comedians, a mediocre magician with a contortionist wife. She was great! A pianist and singer rounded out most of the remainder of our entertainment. Our CD Paul said they didn't have a comedian because of the high number of European guests who did not get US humor. Celebrity did bring on a local group during our St Petersburg stop who were absolutely wonderful. They received the best ovations and reviews.

Other entertainment was just OK as well. My DH and I like to dance before dining, but the choices of music did not lend itself well to dancing. Very few people danced. You would think a band would take note of which songs people dance to and play more of those. I agree with most posts that entertainment is not Celebrity's strong suit, but they should pay better attention to it. Cruising is becoming much more competitive and they may find that this lack of entertainment brings them down a notch.

Fully agree; for past fear years, many of us that cruise Celebrity on a regular basis has found a huge decline in entertainment. Maybe time to look elsewhere; we are thinking. Plus their prices are really going up now that they are throwing in so many freebies; like the drink pkg. and gratuities.

We had such disappointing entertainment on Equinox in May apart from 1 show and 1 duo. The house and were dire, the singer couldn't be heard even when speaking and the drummer couldn't keep time and lost it every key change. A duo of a female singer and guy on guitar has a good varied list of songs but she said the same things every set but tenors of rock on the 2nd night were outstanding. We walked out of 2 shows and it would have been a third but we sat in the wrong place to not disturb others.

Ray Brown, Jr jazz quartet is excellent. We just returned from BI cruise on Silhouette. They perform several sets a night in various venues.

Thanks for sharing information on the jazz band. Was the Ensemble Lounge their regular location? We have found on the Solstice class ships we have sailed that we like the groups generally in this lounge.

Not a great review of the entertainment for our Baltic cruise. The in house singers and dancers were more talented than those on previous cruises, however the show themes were lacking. No comedians, a mediocre magician with a contortionist wife. She was great! A pianist and singer rounded out most of the remainder of our entertainment. Our CD Paul said they didn't have a comedian because of the high number of European guests who did not get US humor. Celebrity did bring on a local group during our St Petersburg stop who were absolutely wonderful. They received the best ovations and reviews.

Other entertainment was just OK as well. My DH and I like to dance before dining, but the choices of music did not lend itself well to dancing. Very few people danced. You would think a band would take note of which songs people dance to and play more of those. I agree with most posts that entertainment is not Celebrity's strong suit, but they should pay better attention to it. Cruising is becoming much more competitive and they may find that this lack of entertainment brings them down a notch.

Were you on the Silhouette for your Baltic trip? We are sailing August 20th on the 14 day Scandinavia & Russia cruise. I hope the local act will be on in St. Petersburg for us to enjoy.