Entertainment and Music on Silhouette

tonyd285

We were on the Silhouette for the sailing November 22 through 29 and thought I would comment on the music and entertainment. We were very disappointed. The bands were awful, almost amateurish, and the theater entertainment was not up to Celebrity's usual pretty good standards. The passengers were a mixture of young families and a lot of older folks (like us). We especially enjoy 60's and earlier dance music and there was virtually none of that. It seemed that Celebrity decided to cater to a 30 and younger demographic for this cruise. We are scheduled for another Celebrity cruise in April and are hoping that the entertainment schedulers come to their senses.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Silhouette for the sailing November 22 through 29 and thought I would comment on the music and entertainment. We were very disappointed. The bands were awful, almost amateurish, and the theater entertainment was not up to Celebrity's usual pretty good standards. The passengers were a mixture of young families and a lot of older folks (like us). We especially enjoy 60's and earlier dance music and there was virtually none of that. It seemed that Celebrity decided to cater to a 30 and younger demographic for this cruise. We are scheduled for another Celebrity cruise in April and are hoping that the entertainment schedulers come to their senses.

Honestly, Celebrities strenght isn't in the entertainment category, IMO. We will be on her in a couple of weeks and hope that the piped in horrible music has been discontinued. We also do not enjoy many of the corny type entertainment that they have in the theatre. Royal Caribbean wins in the entertainment category-

We just sailed Silhouette Nov 29th and found 'Broadway Nights' to be among the best shows at sea. The singers , dancers and live band were top notch. In the Grand Foyer the Latin band was great fun and we danced a lot. The other house band was also good, with a good variety of music.

My only let down was the lack of day time music by the pool. The band took longer to set up , then they played (each less than an hour, and not every day)

We did a B2B by driving to Port Canaveral and boarding Carnival Sensation, which had almost NO live music, only a solo acoustic guitar. And their Show '88 Keys' was an embarrassment. The Punchliner Comedy Club was VERY Funny.

Well you get what you pay for!

• 5 weeks later...

Reading mixed reviews about the entertainment form above and other threads. I would like to hear from more who have been on Celebrity in past compared to recently. We've been on Celebrity for last 5 years; and the thing we liked the best : fabulous evening shows but heard last year from head of entertaining that Celebrity was taking over the entertainment (not contracting it out and when we were on last Feb; they were starting to take down all the aerial guards/wires etc. as huge aerial acts were disappearing. For those that have been on Celebrity recently; are you noticing a huge disappointment in evening entertainment in theatre? Plus was told they are catering to younger crowd and we did see that; music extremely loud; no orchestra etc. Going in 2 weeks; hope we aren't disappointed.

Also; were they strict in embarking to limit the wine to 2 per cabin? Thanks

Just off the Silhouette and ALL the production shows are now history. Had a backstage tour which was ridiculous as all the costumes and all the sets were gone. We got to see the last Broadway Nights show which we have seen several times before and it was one of our favorites. Who knows what's to be!!!! Didn't care for several of the entertainers and can't comment too much of the music around the ship other than to say that the music in the Oceanview is still way toooooo loud.

Just off the Silhouette and ALL the production shows are now history. Had a backstage tour which was ridiculous as all the costumes and all the sets were gone. We got to see the last Broadway Nights show which we have seen several times before and it was one of our favorites. Who knows what's to be!!!! Didn't care for several of the entertainers and can't comment too much of the music around the ship other than to say that the music in the Oceanview is still way toooooo loud.

if awesome aerial acts and production shows are gone. Broadways shows still on? Been there for years.

Was talking to theatre staff last year and heard Celebrity was cutting the franchise to their entertainment and going to to do it themselves. Certainly seems like they have. So sad! Guess it's time to move cruise lines. Just came off RC: Serenade of Seas and it was sad as well; was so looking forward to good ones on Celebrity but doesn't sound like there is. Thanks

We disembarked 1/10/16 and loved that there always seemed to be live music somewhere on the ship. Ensemble Lounge, pool deck, atrium, sunset bar and Michael's Club all had live music periodically. Only went to 2 evening theater performances which were good-not great.

Hope you had a wonderful cruise... Would like your input please!

We are a group of 8 sailing 1/24. We booked select dining but want to make reservation for a set time for the week. We love the shows and would like to know what time they are so we can attend. Are they always 7pm and 9pm? I think sometimes they have an 8 and 10:30 show.

We sailed Silhoutte in 2012 but can't remember the times.

Thank you!

Also off the Silhouette on January 10. I did an in depth review in the member review section of cruise critic. To summarize it was a wonderful cruise. Shows were about 7 and 9 pm Food, especially the lawn grill very good to excellent. Lumanie a real treat! We enjoy dining at 6:00 Pm and saw the late shows.

We

Enjoy your cruise

Also off the Silhouette on January 10. I did an in depth review in the member review section of cruise critic. To summarize it was a wonderful cruise. Shows were about 7 and 9 pm Food, especially the lawn grill very good to excellent. Lumanie a real treat! We enjoy dining at 6:00 Pm and saw the late shows.

We

Enjoy your cruise

Thank you for your posting in reviews.

Don't want to be negative and do hope food and shows are as good as they have been in the past and reviews are recent ones by experienced cruisers. Had friends that just came back ; been on Celebrity Eclipse, Equinox, Silhouette etc. for past 7 years; and they found huge decrease in both on last cruise. Won't be cruising Celebrity again. Everyone is different; going on it with an open mind before I decide if I will jump ship for next ship.

if awesome aerial acts and production shows are gone. Broadways shows still on? Been there for years.

Was talking to theatre staff last year and heard Celebrity was cutting the franchise to their entertainment and going to to do it themselves. Certainly seems like they have. So sad! Guess it's time to move cruise lines. Just came off RC: Serenade of Seas and it was sad as well; was so looking forward to good ones on Celebrity but doesn't sound like there is. Thanks

I don't know.....if Celebrity is going fleet-wide what they did on Eclipse, I'll be a happy man. Eclipse's CD is a RCI transplant (Richard Spacey) and the entertainment was amazing. The 2 main shows rivaled RCI's Oasis Class and both had standing ovations.

On eclipse. We have not been on celebrity for a few years but we always remembered that the bands and music on board were fabulous.

No more. Amateurish and sub par. We both noticed and were disappointed

Hope Celebrity is reading this. I agree... use to be cream of crop for entertainment and food ; hope we don't find out differently in two weeks when we are sailing them for 21 days but heard from many personal last year that big changes in entertainment was coming. If so; won't be back next year.

• 2 months later...

We like you enjoy good dance music on our cruises, even more than the shows. For the shows we leave that up to RCCL who does an amazing job in our opinion. Also many options for a great variety of music.

Just off our 2nd HAL sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam & the BB King Blues Club Band was fabulous & had all ages up dancing and having a great time. We really enjoyed every aspect of the cruise- even with so so weather!

We have sailed Celebrity Reflection & Silhouette 5 times in Aqua class and while we enjoy it very much, the bands of late have us seriously considering moving on. Given we have another Silhouette sailing for Dec 2016 & a 9 night for Dec 2017, I would love some feedback from those on the most recent sailings as to what is happening with their music & entertainment. Have read here & in other threads that Celebrity is making changes. Just not clear on what those changes are. Sounds like several of you in this thread have recently sailed or will be shortly and may have some good info. Many thanks in advance!

As I mentioned before; was told last year; major changes were taking place; now Celebrity is handling it; not contracting it out and you can see the big difference. many one time; terrible acts; like juggler, terrible comedians; singers etc. Still good production shows but these have even been scaled back; from 3-4 aerial acts to one. Was on it for 3 weeks this past Feb. They got so many complaints after first comedian; said he would be back later in week; was dismissed. They are definitely hiring the cheapest ones; all about saving money and not making money by doing the shows. Use to be theatre was super crowded and had to go early; not now. Celebrity should wake up.

Trying to cater more to younger ; all inclusive crowd (free beverages on many deals) but prices have really gone up due to this ; louder music as well. Diamond on many lines and this WAS my favourite but not now! Taking next year off from Celebrity; due to this!

Edited by burrma