Diamond Princess Japan 9/9/16

steelhead1

We are considering booking the 7nt cruise from Tokyo on September 9th 2016.As we would only have 2 days pre-cruise, any recommendations for tours? Also it appears the cruise terminal is quite a distance from Tokyo so any hotel recommendations, or would a hotel through princess be best?

My daughter spent a summer studying in Tokyo. While she never visited the cruise terminal, she did visit other areas on the coast. She says public transportation is great and easy (train). Hotels are plentiful; it is really a matter of what you want. Do you want to see the city? Do you want to visit shrines and gardens? Do you want to see mountains and the countryside?

Your hotel choice will likely be influenced by your activity choices.

We cruised from Yokohama in August this year. We stayed in Yokohama at New Grand Hotel for 3 nights. It is about 50 mins driving from Tokyo. There was plenty to do and see in Yokohama and one day we took train to Tokyo, very easy to use. We came back about 9.30 pm and felt very safe. Taxis were quite chap, but there was three of us so in most cases taxi was cheaper than public transport. We found the Japanese people very helpful and friendly and had little problem with language. Sign and smile works when in doubt. Tokyo was very crowded but very ordered. Check the tourist websites before making a decision. Private transfers are expensive but if you are comfortable with lugging your luggage through stations, train is easy and efficient. Enjoy your time in Japan.

Essentially everyone in Tokyo will have excellent written English skills, but they do very little with spoken English in their schools. It is all focused on written tests. They are very helpful, but will sometimes get a "deer in the headlights" look when you speak to them in English.

My daughter describes her level of Japanese as equivalent to a 6 year old and says she had no problem at all with approaching someone in her schoolbook Japanese; often they would realize that their English was better than her Japanese and do the whole discussion in English.

Try Katsu-dan (a pork dish) and REAL Ramen. Neither are made the same way here, even in "authentic" Japanese restaurants.

The public trains do close down--they don't run all night. If you get caught out late, your only option will be a cab.

We're booked on this same cruise and are flying into Narita airport the day before. We plan to use the limousine bus at the airport to get to Yokohama, where we have a room booked at the Yokohama Intercontinental Hotel. From what I've read about the limo bus, it is very reasonable and easy to use with luggage. Pop over to the roll call and you can see what others are planning. Welcome aboard!

We're booked on this same cruise and are flying into Narita airport the day before. We plan to use the limousine bus at the airport to get to Yokohama, where we have a room booked at the Yokohama Intercontinental Hotel. From what I've read about the limo bus, it is very reasonable and easy to use with luggage. Pop over to the roll call and you can see what others are planning. Welcome aboard!

Yokohama Intercontinental is very nice and very close to the port.

You should have more days for Tokyo.

We did an excellent tour through Viator with JTB Sunrise for the Meiji Shrine, Imperial Palace Grounds, and more that was excellent. Also, Nikko was wonderful. Kamakura was good as well.

We stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi, adjacent to Toyko station. Great location, good price, excellent service at hotel. You can take the train from the airport direct to Tokyo Station and walk to your hotel (no taxi).

Here is my review of the trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Conrad Tokyo is fantastic , we stayed there for 3 days when we cruised out of Yokohama last year.

so glad you said the Conrad Tokyo is Fantastic. I am booked there for 3 nights at the end of a cruise in March. so looking forward to the hotel!

chez

• 4 weeks later...
You should have more days for Tokyo.

We did an excellent tour through Viator with JTB Sunrise for the Meiji Shrine, Imperial Palace Grounds, and more that was excellent. Also, Nikko was wonderful. Kamakura was good as well.

We stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi, adjacent to Toyko station. Great location, good price, excellent service at hotel. You can take the train from the airport direct to Tokyo Station and walk to your hotel (no taxi).

Here is my review of the trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Thank you for your excellent review. It was very helpful. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel, because I have just booked it. The Hotel Metropolitan seems to be in an great location.l