being left behind

babygoo

Really? When my friend and I were on a ship's excursion out of Portland, Maine, and the tour guide had the bus driver drive around in circles for several hours, telling us that the ship would wait for us no matter how late we were, the Explorer of the Seas did not call us on our cell phones. At the time, I didn't know what to do, so when we eventually returned to the ship, I asked if there was a phone number for us to call in the event that this happened again. I was told that there was no phone number for us to call.

Afterwards, I was told at cruisecritic that I could have called the port agent. But the ship's personnel never told me that. And, as I said, they never called me.

No need for anyone to ring anyone when its a ships excurseion.

For those they wait.

Really? When my friend and I were on a ship's excursion out of Portland, Maine, and the tour guide had the bus driver drive around in circles for several hours, telling us that the ship would wait for us no matter how late we were, the Explorer of the Seas did not call us on our cell phones. At the time, I didn't know what to do, so when we eventually returned to the ship, I asked if there was a phone number for us to call in the event that this happened again. I was told that there was no phone number for us to call.

Afterwards, I was told at cruisecritic that I could have called the port agent. But the ship's personnel never told me that. And, as I said, they never called me.

No need for anyone to ring anyone when its a ships excurseion.

For those they wait.

Also no need to contact the port agent when on a ships excursion. Most likely the tour operator has already been in contact with the port agent and the ship to find out the ETA on the return of the tour.

I was told that when passengers are late returning, the ship makes every effort to contact them via cell phone. This must have happened as we were late leaving a port. The gangway was down 30 minutes past the on board time. Shortly after that, two women showed up.

How would the people on the ship know every individual's phone numbers? I don't usually list it and even if I did, I don't carry my phone on excursions. Once I board the ship it is turned off and in my safe until we depart.

How would the people on the ship know every individual's phone numbers? I don't usually list it and even if I did, I don't carry my phone on excursions. Once I board the ship it is turned off and in my safe until we depart.

I, too, put my phone away when I'm unpacking and don't get it back out until I'm packing, the last evening aboard ship, usually right after dinner.

I have a $29. Timex watch that I bought on Amazon just for cruising. Every time they announce a time change I change my watch, and the watch is always on my wrist while cruising.

It doesn't matter what time my phone says it is, or what time I see somewhere in port, or what time someone else tells me. The only time that matters is the ship's time.

They get that information when you book your cruise. I was just saying what someone told me. I can't swear to it.

Also no need to contact the port agent when on a ships excursion. Most likely the tour operator has already been in contact with the port agent and the ship to find out the ETA on the return of the tour.

In my case, I don't believe our tour guide ever told either his tour company or the port agent that we would be several hours late. However, he did tell us not to tell anyone that he had deliberately caused us to be several hours late. When we finally got back to the ship, a number of officers were standing outside waiting for us, and they looked absolutely frantic. That gave me the impression that they had no idea when we would arrive. I told them that the tour guide had deliberately made us late, claiming that the ship would wait for us no matter what, and that he had told us not to tell on him.

I hope that Royal was able to get the tour company to pay any fine that was levied due to the ship remaining in port for several extra hours.