Carnival Glory Rescue AT sea

dockmaster

We picked up about 25 Cuban migrants from a home made raft, off the western tipvof cuba on Sun night. Pretty impressive ship handeling in 20 knot winds to get them to the port rescue door.. Trying to upload photos. It's on twitter, #Billd49er

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Unless they are actively requesting rescue, the ship will not bring them onboard. The ship will report them to the USCG, who, if the raft is within their jurisdiction, will request the ship to remain on station and observe whether the situation deteriorates to a rescue scenario. The USCG will send a boat and take them directly from their craft, after determining that it is not seaworthy as part of a "port state" control inspection (the same thing they do on the cruise ships). If they were signaling and asking for rescue, then they knew their lives were in danger if they stayed on the raft.

Whether or not the people knew when they got on the raft that the US policy was to return them or not, is a different question.

Edited by chengkp75

On our March cruise on the Serenade OTS we rescued 8 Cubans on this home made raft. We picked them up on our 2nd sea day enroute to Jamaica. They actually remained on board until we made port in Cozumel, where they were turned over to Mexican officials...

P1000090_zpskw20ilrn.jpg

Edited by Raxter54

On the conquest about 10 years ago we encountered Cubans as well. We were lucky enough to have a balcony on the side they were on. The ship stopped for some time. From my vantage it looked like they gave them supplies or helped with their motor. After a short time they were on their way. Waving and smiling until their boat disappeared. It was the neatest thing to see such kindness from our crew (whatever they did) and a good lesson in appreciation of what we have for my young niece and nephew.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk