Butler Woes

JOLTnPEST

My Butler sucked on the Dawn. Completely ignored us. Asked him to bring nacho chips and salsa one night, said he couldn't. Asked him for spinach artichoke dip from Blue lagoon , said they were all out. We are a young couple so I guess he assumed we would stiff him on a tip, I guess his other pax must have been more important. Ended up tipping our room steward more than the Butler.

If you want to experience a real Butler service, try Silversea or Crystal. The fake service on the main stream lines are a joke. When you experience true professional Butlers trained by institutions like the British Butler Institute.

It is truly a magical and wonderfully enriching experience.

Unlike the glorified stewards you experienced on NCL. The experience was a highlight of our voyages aboard those lines. If you can do it. It is money well spent.

Oh please!!! My last butler has 18 years with NCL and my room steward 17. Crystal and Silversea could only wish they had them. [emoji6]

sorry we called the butler the night before to put our order in.

Does anyone know how tipping from Onboard account works? they said It would be added to their paycheck. Do you think its an immediate thing where they can see it as soon as you tipped them?

Last week Thursday on Spirit I went down to GS around 4 p.m. We had a briefing with concierge around 10 that same morning who went through all the final stuff including telling us we could go to GS and get gratuity vouchers (we have done this before). During that meeting I asked concierge for a print out of our charges which she delivered around 7 p.m. So between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. the tips posted. They have a two part form and you get one copy to put in the envelope. YMMV.

As far as butlers, I really think NCL needs to do a post cruise survey on these folks. While a tip is upon us based on service, these people need to be given feedback and guidance to see if they should still be butlers or in given advancement opportunities.

We will be doing the Haven for the first time next October and I am so excited but reading here about tips.

Do I understand the Butler is always extra? And if so how much do you tip? Is it based on the number of days of the cruise and the amount of service provided?

I have no idea and since we are talking about tipping butlers I hope it is ok to ask.

Also, do all the staff in the Haven get additional tips?

I want to make sure we know what to expect and give accordingly

thanks in advance!!!

We will be doing the Haven for the first time next October and I am so excited but reading here about tips.

Do I understand the Butler is always extra? And if so how much do you tip? Is it based on the number of days of the cruise and the amount of service provided?

I have no idea and since we are talking about tipping butlers I hope it is ok to ask.

thanks in advance!!!

Yes, the Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC, so one should tip them over and above the DSC.

How much you shoud tip, is really something that you should decide based on your comfort level and you will get a lot of different answers. I tip by the day and start with $10 per per person per day for the Butler and $5 per person per day for the Concierge - some tip more and some tip less.

The rest of the Haven staff is tipped under the DSC, that is why you pay $15.50 per person per day, instead of non-suite guests who pay $13.50 per person per day.

The rest of the Haven staff is tipped under the DSC, that is why you pay $15.50 per person per day, instead of non-suite guests who pay $13.50 per person per day.

I have not seen that anywhere. Do you have any corroborating proof of that? I ask because regular suite AND Haven suite categories are charged the same. I was told it was due to the room steward having a larger room to clean and nothing was ever mentioned regarding Haven staff.

Best-

Steve

I have not seen that anywhere. Do you have any corroborating proof of that? I ask because regular suite AND Haven suite categories are charged the same. I was told it was due to the room steward having a larger room to clean and nothing was ever mentioned regarding Haven staff.

Best-

Steve

If you feel the need to tip the Haven staff, feel free. I was told that the DSC covers all but the Butler and Concierge.

thanks in advance!!!

Your tip is based on service. In some cases the Butler does more for you such as brings meals/sets up meals, brings snacks additional snacks if you have a small guest party in your cabin, and handles your cabin requests. However the Concierge changes dinner reservations, handles any outside of the cabin requests such as excursion changes or adds, and ensures your ship experience is pretty much seamless. If either gives above and beyond I might add a personal note in the envelope. Another poster gave a starting point of $10.00 a day. We usually start at $100 each.

Your room steward is only responsible for the '"care" such as extra towels, pillows, and towel animals. He also sees that you have clean bar glass set-up and replenishes those you take with you around the ship and don't bring back to the cabin. Sometimes they do personally more for you than the Butler and the Concierge. We always had the coffee and tea we requested for our machine and extra towels after asking only once.

We also will tip our breakfast/lunch server if we get someone who is special even though they are covered in the DSC. Last cruise our hostess in Cagney's was so nice we tipped her as well.

It is up to you how little ot how much as no one knows the amount except you and the person you are tipping.

If you feel the need to tip the Haven staff, feel free. I was told that the DSC covers all but the Butler and Concierge.

You are correct.

Steve,

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

and short version:

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

For sailings prior to August 1, 2015 rates are as follows:

• $12.95 for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $14.95 for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

Effective August 1, 2015 rates for all sailings are as follows:

• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

Linda

Edited by Linda the Book Lover
add web info

Crystal was great, Silversea was horrible. Our butler on the Breakaway was much better. The best butler we had was on Regent.

It is funny how the luck of the draw can change ones perception. We thought the Butler on SS was a notch above Crystal. And both were outstanding.

One particular day we were at sea. My wife sprained her ankle by the pool. Sabian, was our butler on this SS Cruise. That evening, the ships Dr. Came up to check on my wife. He wanted her to stay off her leg for the next couple of days. Anyway, Sabian took such great, genuine care of us for the two days we stood in. He went so above and beyond. We found out last year he is now an officer onboard SS, we could see why the promoted him.

You, having the opposite experience, is just poor luck of the draw. Very surprising since it's an ultra luxury line. I hope you documented your experience and let them know.

My butler was excellent. I sailed on Escape 12/5-12/12. I called the night before to place my breakfast order. She came right on time. Food was hot. She wished us have a good trip. I tipped her on the last night at guest services by adding her tip to my onboard account. I even took a pic of her on disembarkment day on the last breakfast delivery. I told her that I will tell NCL what a great job she did. I also put her name on the "HERO" card.

Josh, your butler bailed on you. He took your order a night before. Promised for a hot breakfast but didn't delivery. U called multiple times and he did not answer. When u call, he can see your caller ID. I know he might be busy. But he can always have regular room service to deliver your breakfast. BAD service on last day. U should had call me, I ordered too much breakfast. :D I am a little disturbed that concierge did not anser your calls. Then again, it's their busiest day. I can give them a break.

Merry Christmas!

It is funny how the luck of the draw can change ones perception. We thought the Butler on SS was a notch above Crystal. And both were outstanding.

One particular day we were at sea. My wife sprained her ankle by the pool. Sabian, was our butler on this SS Cruise. That evening, the ships Dr. Came up to check on my wife. He wanted her to stay off her leg for the next couple of days. Anyway, Sabian took such great, genuine care of us for the two days we stood in. He went so above and beyond. We found out last year he is now an officer onboard SS, we could see why the promoted him.

You, having the opposite experience, is just poor luck of the draw. Very surprising since it's an ultra luxury line. I hope you documented your experience and let them know.

Maybe you were never on the Shadow..oh my, terrible. I have a $3500 voucher that expires in March and it will not be used. I ask for three things, some winemaker cognac, and a cotton blanket. We got the alcohol the next day, and the blanket on the 8th day. Miserable experience.

Edited by Merriem

No, we were not on the Shadow. That is a shame you spent your money and did not receive the level of service you deserved. I can't fault you for not wanting to use the voucher. I would not go back either.

Please accept my best wishes for a happy holiday and a healthy & happy 2016[emoji3]