cozumel: Amazing secret river and cavern. Need advice

Du vent dans les voiles

I'm concerned about the wet suit. I weigh about 215 and I know they have one in my size so that part is fine, although I feel shy about wearing one and being over weight. But what should I do about what to wear under it? All of my bathing suits are the shorts and skirts kind and the tops are lose.

Do I need to buy a tight fitting bathing suit to wear under? And if so, do you have to shower and put it on in front of other people?

:(

I'm concerned about the wet suit. I weigh about 215 and I know they have one in my size so that part is fine, although I feel shy about wearing one and being over weight. But what should I do about what to wear under it? All of my bathing suits are the shorts and skirts kind and the tops are lose.

Do I need to buy a tight fitting bathing suit to wear under? And if so, do you have to shower and put it on in front of other people?

:(

I don't remember seeing anything saying a wet suit was required.

I don't remember my head going under water. At one point our guide shuffled all the women to the front. And made me stay close. Because I was having issues adjusting from the sunlight to the cave. I tripped, and I was the first one moved ip.

When we got to the swim section our group had 2 non swimmers. He went to the most scared and helped them and the other one held on to the first. A little floating train pulled by the guide. It was a great tour.

If you are provided with life vests then you wouldn't really have to be a swimmer, right? I'm not afraid of water but I'm not a swimmer in the competitive way, but can swim the doggie paddle and back stroke, etc. Would this be ok for someone like me? How is this tour for 9 and 13 year olds?

Are wet suits involved? I think I read that somewhere....I'm a chubby person will I have trouble with the wetsuit (getting it on?) LOL! No, really....:rolleyes:

I don't remember spiders. I don't remember a life vest? I hate them. The wet suit wasnt bad, I short and heavy. They were very picky about water shoes. They wanted you to use theirs.

I think kids would like it. And doggie paddle or back stroke is fine. There was help and it was not far.

• 6 months later...
Is the water cold so the wet suits are needed? I Scuba Dive in Cozumel with no wet suit with no problem. I am only a warm water diver now partly because I hate putting on a wet suit.

Hello JuliaMS

Our DD told me that they felt that the water was cold even if they were wearing a wet suit and everyone in their group was having one. She doesn't know though, if if it was mandatory.

Hope this help, :)

Sorry for my english, I'm french speaking ;)

Josée

We went in May and the water is cold. We saw a couple people in our group not wearing wetsuits and they were freezing.

Hello JuliaMS

Our DD told me that they felt that the water was cold even if they were wearing a wet suit and everyone in their group was having one. She doesn't know though, if if it was mandatory.

Hope this help, :)

Sorry for my english, I'm french speaking ;)

Josée

Thank You

Cenote water is cold and the same temperature year-round. It is an underground lake basically. Wetsuits can make you feel slightly warmer but the best way to be warm is to keep moving, let your body generate the heat to stay warm. It is only bad the first 5-10 minutes... as long as you are moving, you get used to it fast.

And the nice thing.... once you get out of the water, the hot hot hot weather doesn't feel so bad since your body core temp has dropped slightly. It really does make it more tolerable as the Yucatan is always hot.

• 2 months later...

There's another really great review of this excursion on these boards, and the poster said she only booked the Amazing Secret River excursion WITHOUT the shopping portion (there's one that includes it apparently). However, on the way back to the ferry, they were forced to stop for two hours to shop. The guide would not let them go back to the ferry until the two hours of shopping were over. There were no shady places to sit and wait....except for the stores where they were hassled. Anyone else experience this on this excursion? I certainly do not want to shop or get stuck being forced to do so for two hours.

There's another really great review of this excursion on these boards, and the poster said she only booked the Amazing Secret River excursion WITHOUT the shopping portion (there's one that includes it apparently). However, on the way back to the ferry, they were forced to stop for two hours to shop. The guide would not let them go back to the ferry until the two hours of shopping were over. There were no shady places to sit and wait....except for the stores where they were hassled. Anyone else experience this on this excursion? I certainly do not want to shop or get stuck being forced to do so for two hours.

Sorry but that just isn't true. The area next to the pier for the ferry has tons of nice shops and restaurants to sit in the shade. It is a beautiful area with a free beach, too. Because the cruise line has booked a ferry for taking everyone back over to their ship, it is necessary to have tours wait until all the tour groups are back.

2015_PDC600.JPG

2015_PDC604.JPG

ABQrobin: I am the one who posted the Amazing Secret River review with pictures on this board. I will reiterate that when we were there in July 2016 we were hassled by shop owners, there was NOT shady areas to rest unless you wanted to pay money to sit and order something somewhere and the beach on one side was rocky and full of seaweed and the other side the hotel staff was shooing people away. Again, it was my experience when we went that I reported on to help others in any way I could..

If someone chooses to book through Carnival, there were 3 different "cave/cenote" tours offered through the cruise line at the time we went, so I am sure there will be different reports on different cave systems in reviews that are posted...