Wifi and Online classes?

camprunner

I was just reading a post about wifi. If it's truly that good, it could open our window for scheduling.

Has anyone taken or taught an online class (used Blackboard or Moodle) while on a cruise recently? Did it work?

NOTE: I'm going to try to be very limited with it, but 10-30 min a day of good Internet access could make a difference for my family.

I was just reading a post about wifi. If it's truly that good, it could open our window for scheduling.

Has anyone taken or taught an online class (used Blackboard or Moodle) while on a cruise recently? Did it work?

NOTE: I'm going to try to be very limited with it, but 10-30 min a day of good Internet access could make a difference for my family.

I teach using Moodle all the time on cruises. There is usually plenty of band width for my needs but I don't do anything in real time. I would be hesitant to have to take a timed test on board because of latency issues, nor would I want to do anything that required synchronous connections, but other than that it is not an issue.

I had an 8 day cruise last December (Breeze) and the wifi was great - not outtages when I was using it and was always a constant speed. Keep in mind outages do happen so if you have a lot of days at sea you could lose connection.

There's tons of secure places to connect to wifi on the islands too so you could always make it up the next day if possible.

I would be very hesitant to do so if it's a case of something being timed or time sensitive.

If there happened to be an outage what would you do? I mean I guess you could find wifi in the ports if you had to, I would just make sure you had a back up plan.

My DW is a Texas Rangers nut. Last September on the Freedom we had to listen to all of their games via wifi. With the highest package the audio would still drop out and freeze. If it's something that must be 100% real time I would not take the chance.

Thank you so much. I also teach. Nothing synchronous is a must the week we are looking at. Grading papers won't be mandatory. But I do need to check email and course messages a couple of times a day. Being able to grade will be a blessing or maybe a curse since I badly need to get away from the constant computer use.

Thank you so much. I also teach. Nothing synchronous is a must the week we are looking at. Grading papers won't be mandatory. But I do need to check email and course messages a couple of times a day. Being able to grade will be a blessing or maybe a curse since I badly need to get away from the constant computer use.

No problem at all. I do that all the time with my courses.

I was in the exact same situation on our cruise a few weeks ago (teaching an online class, but also badly needing to disconnect). Luckily nothing was due until after I got back, but I did need to check e-mail/Canvas messages while away. I actually elected NOT to purchase an internet plan (except for the Social Media plan on a few days to touch base with my husband) to force myself to relax. However, I did check my e-mail and reply to students while in port (and never had any trouble finding free wifi). It can definitely be done (using whatever combination of resources will work best for you). Remember that a relaxed and refreshed teacher is a much better one! Enjoy!

Also consider that Wifi connectivity depends on where you're located on the ship. In some areas the signal is crappy and you can barely get one bar, in others it's great. My Victory balcony cabin on deck 6 mid-ship was one of those dead spots where I was lucky to get connected for a few minutes a day. If I stepped outside my cabin my signal would improve.

I've done an Internet class on board before. I had a paper and a discussion board due that week. I used the Internet cafe to post both. I did all my research for my paper before I left and used word to draft the paper aboard. I had no problems logging on and posting multiple times.

I had an 8 day cruise last December (Breeze) and the wifi was great - not outtages when I was using it and was always a constant speed. Keep in mind outages do happen so if you have a lot of days at sea you could lose connection.

There's tons of secure places to connect to wifi on the islands too so you could always make it up the next day if possible.

We will be on the Breeze in march and glad to hear that wifi was great. :)

I've done an Internet class on board before. I had a paper and a discussion board due that week. I used the Internet cafe to post both. I did all my research for my paper before I left and used word to draft the paper aboard. I had no problems logging on and posting multiple times.

I will also be in class during our next cruise (will have just finished 1 five week class prior to going and will still have a 15 week class that I will be on during the cruise) and use Blackboard. I will make sure I do all my research prior to the cruise and then submit while on the cruise and do the discussion board post as well. Glad to hear that you didn't have any issues.

Thanks to OP from bringing this up, even if it's from the instructors point of view, it helps us students as well. :)