Tipping for room service

LRnascarfan

It is not an opinion, it is a fact. You can have your own opinions, but you cannot have your own facts. Your *belief* that room-service tips SHOULD be included in the auto-gratuity does not make it so.

Cruiselines dispense the HSC to employees that do work that benefits all the passengers. Bar servers do not get it; that is why gratuity is added to your bar-tab. Etc.

Not everyone orders room service, that is why the HSC does not apply to it.

Edited by crystalspin

Actually, you have not shown me anything that says it is a fact. Nothing I have seen says that these servers are eliminated from the shipwide service charge. Please show your sources.

Here's what my latest says: "Your fares include ocean transportation, stateroom or suite accommodations, and all meals and entertainment on board the ship. Not included, however, are items of a personal nature, such as alcoholic beverages, laundry, transfers prior to or after cruise (dis)embarkation, or optional programs or activities. You’ll also be charged separately for shore excursions, and additional conveniences or conveyances not specified in the itinerary." Nothing there about extra tipping for room service.

"Complimentary room service is available 24 hours a day for sandwiches, selected canapes, coffee, and tea. " Nothing here either.

and lastly, "Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as wait staff, beverage servers and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel Service Charge of $12 per passenger is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account on a daily basis. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise."

Edited by Pudgesmom
additional information provided.

I do tip! It is charged to me automatically and I may adjust it if I please. As I said before, its not a hotel, and I'm already being charged.

It has nothing to do with ability to pay. Not sure why you would include that in your response. I knew I would get shot down for this. If you can provide any evidence from ANY cruise line then I will change my tune.

Edited by Pudgesmom

I will not argue with you. I'm stating facts for the OP, as outlined in my cruise brochure. How many times I have cruised or my income is irrelevant to the discussion. I'm glad this forum allows all to share with others.

I hope the OP has a wonderful first cruise.

Hahahahaha. Agree. We ALWAYS tip for room service. Someone is walking to my cabin because I am too lazy (or not yet presentable!) to go get my own cup of coffee.. you're darned right that they are going to get a CASH tip. Just got off Princess and while there was the opportunity to write in a tip that would be charged to my account, I much prefer that the person who brings me my coffee gets the cash directly (as I assume that the other goes into the big pool of funds for disbursement.)

Hahahahaha. Agree. We ALWAYS tip for room service. Someone is walking to my cabin because I am too lazy (or not yet presentable!) to go get my own cup of coffee.. you're darned right that they are going to get a CASH tip. Just got off Princess and while there was the opportunity to write in a tip that would be charged to my account, I much prefer that the person who brings me my coffee gets the cash directly (as I assume that the other goes into the big pool of funds for disbursement.)

Very true. Last cruise I added an additional tip to my bar drink then realized that went into the bar pool. After that, a wad of singles went everywhere with me.

We have prepaid all our tips in the cost of our cruise. I figure I will probably order some room service in the mornings since my kids take longer than me to get ready!! Do I need to tip when the items are delivered? If so, how much would be acceptable?

Thanks,

Kim

To tip or not to tip that is the question, and the answer is purely up to you.

Let's make it easy here ...

You should ALWAYS tip for room service.

This is not included as part of the standard gratuities.

$1-5 is usually sufficient, depending on how much you have ordered.

$5:eek:

My tips to my steward who makes my room up every day (twice a day) and to my waiter who serves my food upto three times a day (out of the auto tips) if less than $5 but that's what I should give the fellow who takes a few minutes to bring me a tray.

Yep the whole tipping world is crazy.

We don't come from a tipping country like the US but always had an extra $2-3 at hand when we ordered room service for breakfast. I'm sure you will get your service without extra tips but I know that the crew is working hard for long hours and is not paid a fortune. On a 7 day cruise that's less than $ 20 and a small percentage of my bill but for the waiter it might be a lot and most are supporting their family. We also tip our cabin steward and have sometimes tipped a waitress when we had special requests or if they were just exceptionelly. Just our opinion, no need to put out the flame throwers.

yes it is appropriate to tip for all RS deliveries that do not incur a surcharge( on most ships they only impose this fee late night until like 5 or 6 am)

a pot of coffee and some pastries for 2? maybe $ 2-3

a full cooked breakfast for 4? closer to $7-8

consider the more you order, the more you tip

We highly agree, we use RS as our wake up call! And always get Coffee, and maybe a danish? But Coffee FOR SURE!!! And we are ready for the knock at the door with $2 bucks at the ready, for our coffee. But it's only in the am we use RS, we have never used it any other time.

Yet on a side note. When sailing a 7 day on MSC DIVINA, they only showed up ONCE! There service is unbelievable:mad:!!!!!