UBP price rise to $69 per day

clivep

Simple well liquor and mixer is now (after December, the latest of many bar price raises last year) $8.50+18%.

Yikes! $10 for the cheapest swill of a shot on the ship? On a 10 day cruise folks will be spending over a thousand dollars in liquor alone. How could this be? You can get a liter of booze for under 100 dollars when bought by the bottle, 22 shots per bottle brings the price of a drink down to $4.55.

UBP is well worth it then if you plan on having drinks on the ship, or just spend a few hundred and pick up a couple bottles for yourself. Looks like this trip I'll be sticking to my free Pepsi (as thats the only promo we got) and coffee.

You can get a liter of booze for under 100 dollars when bought by the bottle, 22 shots per bottle brings the price of a drink down to $4.55.
I would be pleasantly surprised if the bottle prices have not also gone up. I'm sure it's still the most economical way to buy liquor to drink onboard, but it's no substitute for the UBP. Edited by hawkeyetlse

So that's more like a 50% increase. Which is bad, but not "nearly doubled".

When we were on the Epic at Christmas, they were still using prices from six months earlier (the menu I have says "Fleet Whiskey 6/15"). That is call $7.50 ($89 bottle) / premium $8.75 ($99 bottle) / super premium $9.95 ($129 bottle). Does anyone have all of the new prices?

Check your math $10 less $5.75 equals $4.25. To determine increase % divide the increase from the original price so its $4,25 divided by $5.75 which is a 74% increase

Edited by bjlaac

I would be pleasantly surprised if the bottle prices have not also gone up. I'm sure it's still the most economical way to buy liquor to drink onboard, but it's no substitute for the UBP.

I called yesterday, cheapest bottle they quoted me prior to boarding was Captain Morgan at $92.

Sobriety seems like the best course of action.

Check your math $10 less $5.75 equals $4.25. To determine increase % divide the increase from the original price so its $4,25 divided by $5.75 which is a 74% increase
You cannot compare $10 (the new price with tip) to $5.75 (the old price without tip). Here is the math so everyone can follow along:

• old price (prior to March 2015) = $5.75 + 15% tip = $6.61
  • new price (reported by Demonyte) = $8.50 + 18% tip = $10.03
  • difference = $10.03 – $6.61 = $3.42
  • $3.42/$6.61 = 52% of the old price

I called yesterday, cheapest bottle they quoted me prior to boarding was Captain Morgan at $92.
So that sounds like the same price as before ($89 + $3 per bottle service charge). But I wonder what the bar menus on board say now. Edited by hawkeyetlse

Yikes! $10 for the cheapest swill of a shot on the ship? On a 10 day cruise folks will be spending over a thousand dollars in liquor alone.

We spent over $1000 on liquor 6 years ago on the Spirit for just a 7 day cruise, and that was after drinking the bottles we had smuggled on board. #dontjudge We haven't sailed without the UBP since, buying it twice and getting it once as a promo so far.

When we were on the Epic at Christmas, they were still using prices from six months earlier (the menu I have says "Fleet Whiskey 6/15"). That is call $7.50 ($89 bottle) / premium $8.75 ($99 bottle) / super premium $9.95 ($129 bottle). Does anyone have all of the new prices?

These are from menus dated 12/15:

Call: $8.50 | Bottle $99

Premium: $9.50 | Bottle $109

Super Premium: $10.95 | Bottle $139

Thank you for that information, Demonyte.

I checked some older menus and the price for call brands was already $6.50 back in December 2014. $5.75 was the price sometime earlier in 2014.

• early 2014: $5.75 ($80) / $6.25 ($100) / $6.75 ($120)
  • late 2014: $6.50 ($80) / $7.50 ($100) / $8.50 ($120)
  • March 2015: $6.95 ($86) / $7.95 ($99 :)) / $9.50 ($129)
  • mid 2015: $7.50 ($89) / $8.75 ($99) / $9.95 ($129)
  • December 2015: $8.50 ($99) / $9.50 ($109) / $10.95 ($139)

So over the past year (comparing the 2nd line and the last line), the prices per shot have increased by 30-35%. The bottle prices have gone up between 12% and 27%.

For us Germans it seems to be different now...

All NCL Cruise becomme "all inclusive"

No service charge....

and....

On our All Inclusive Cruises is a diverse selection of drinks included - of spirits on draft and bottled beers, wines and cocktails to non-alcoholic beers, soft drinks and juices at all bars, for in all the lounges and restaurants throughout the cruise, at any time Adult. For children unlimited consumption of soft drinks, water and juices.

In addition, various Lavazza coffee specialties served in all our restaurants, and a bottle of water per person per day in your stateroom.

Gratuities included

All gratuities on all of our All Inclusive.

It is google translated...

you do not have any chance to book without "all inclusive" over the german speaking market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlaac viewpost.gif

You cannot compare $10 (the new price with tip) to $5.75 (the old price without tip). Here is the math so everyone can follow along:

• old price (prior to March 2015) = $5.75 + 15% tip = $6.61
  • new price (reported by Demonyte) = $8.50 + 18% tip = $10.03
  • difference = $10.03 – $6.61 = $3.42
  • $3.42/$6.61 = 52% of the old price

Good catch I stand corrected, but since the 15% and 18% goes to the crew?, isn't it really only a 25%-26% increase? Either way, what's gone up 25% to 50% in the past two years especially in today's economy. All kidding aside there's way too many increases and its too complicated. Would'nt it really just be easy to just raise the fares?

Edited by bjlaac

Actually..... depending where you live... Annualized inflation is very low. Norwegian acts like it is experiencing hyperinflation. Norwegian may make money in the short term but many longtime guests will look elsewhere. 90% of the clients I talk to say there exists an atmosphere of nickel and diming and that the term Freestyle Cruising should be change to Freestyle Spending... we make it easier for you to spend your money! I am of the belief however that it is what it is. I will still have a good time and have a set budget I will spend. The increase will mean I will just spend less overall as I will limit my purchases to what I can afford.

• 2 weeks later...

For reference, these were posted on CC user TheDougOut's absolutely incredible review of his sailing on the Escape which he is likely disembarking from sometime in the next 2 hours. You can (and should!) read his review here ---> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2307885 It's well worth the time it takes. So thanks to Doug for this currently up-to-date basic drink menu. Not cheap.

cbd82a09905d95980d8f4a274ebe19e0.jpg

2f09243f564aa25720edd3354faa9203.jpg

tumblr_o24l26Ks581qfsoxqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o24l26Ks581qfsoxqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o24l26Ks581qfsoxqo3_1280.jpg

$69 per day is way too much to buy this product!!

*Makes people think their getting s great deal when this promo is given away.

*Gives NCL more revenue when people have to pay the 18%

I agree 100%. I was prepared to pay it because I know it would still end up being cheaper than buying my drinks by the glass, but that's only because I like to drink and so does the friend I'm going with.

I sent a complaint in to Norwegian actually, because I think it's completely ridiculous that they have the most expensive drink package in the industry and it's BY FAR the least inclusive. This is exactly the type of thing that makes people complain that Norwegian is nickel and diming their passengers, and I believe it to be true.

I sailed on RCCL last year and for $59/night we had specialty coffees, bottled water - including sparkling, fresh squeezed juices, and energy drinks all included. We bought ONE specialty coffee in 5 days, never got any juice, but during the day at the pool we would get a water bottle each - which we refilled, and then on our way back to our room we'd stop and get few more to keep us from getting dehydrated and ill after being out in the hot sun all day drinking cocktails. And I like my vodka red bulls at night. If RCCL can offer all that at $59/night and still turn a profit, surely NCL can do the same.

If you're going to charge $69/night at least make it properly inclusive.

$69 per day is way too much to buy this product!!

*Makes people think their getting s great deal when this promo is given away.

*Gives NCL more revenue when people have to pay the 18%

You are getting a great deal when you choose to receive this as your perk. You're only subjected to a 12.42 charge per day for unlimited drinks. The 12.42 is the equivalent of just over 1 drink per day. And if you don't wish to pay the 18%, then choose the 50.00 credit on overpriced shore excursions or the slow most of the time wifi service.

The 18% gratuity would still come into play, but the only tax involved is on any individual drinks purchased while still in domestic waters.

Not just in domestic waters but everywhere local sales tax is charged. For example Bahamas have sales tax too, so drinks purchased on GSC (or Nassau) are taxed also.

You can try, but I think they exclude energy drinks specifically so people cannot order vodka & red bull…

I do remember one cocktail at Spice H2O that included red bull as one ingredient, and that was included. Kind of the same way all the coffee cocktails listed in the menu were included, even though they contained espresso, which is normally excluded.

You can try, but I think they exclude energy drinks specifically so people cannot order vodka & red bull…

I do remember one cocktail at Spice H2O that included red bull as one ingredient, and that was included. Kind of the same way all the coffee cocktails listed in the menu were included, even though they contained espresso, which is normally excluded.

So coffee drinks are not excluded? I was hoping to be able to have Baileys in my coffee with dessert.