Quirky new historic attraction in London

Transport for London has opened up wartime tunnels at Clapham South tube station for tourists. These weren't built for the tube network, they were hand-dug during the war as shelters for the Blitz, and have remained untouched, including beds, for 70- years.

Clapham South is just a little outside central London, but only a few tube stops from Waterloo, on the Northern Line.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35228529

JB :)

Transport for London has opened up wartime tunnels at Clapham South tube station for tourists. These weren't built for the tube network, they were hand-dug during the war as shelters for the Blitz, and have remained untouched, including beds, for 70- years.

Clapham South is just a little outside central London, but only a few tube stops from Waterloo, on the Northern Line.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35228529

JB :)

Sounds interesting. We may have to go have a look this trip. We went to the Churchill War Rooms last time round. We were with my father in law, who was on a B17 crew based in England during the war. Pity he won't be with us this time. He spent most of his "leave" time in London in shelters. Not the break he had hoped to have....

I don't think these are yet open as a regular attraction. They have been open on previous occasions for London Transport Museum 'Hidden London' tours (see link below) and local reporting was that TfL secured planning permission in December for a cafe/exhibition in the 'rotunda' entrance structure (which I used to live opposite). I believe tenders will go out this month for possible building in mid-2016, but keep an eye on the link for any other openings before then.

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/hidden-london

This link for for more reporting: http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/attractions/going-underground-wwii-bunker-in-south-london-to-open-for-tours-a3142046.html

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I saw the report on BBC News this evening and they mentioned that a bar/cafe was to be built.

I remember my Mum and Gran telling me they went down the tube for shelter at the beginning of the war but soon stopped as people started staying down there full time and making it their home. My family did get bombed out, but preferred to take their chance.

It must have been awful and rather smelly in the Tube. I just feel lucky I didn't live through those times.

Transport for London has opened up wartime tunnels at Clapham South tube station for tourists. These weren't built for the tube network, they were hand-dug during the war as shelters for the Blitz

Not exactly. They were actually intended to be stations on an express version of the Northern Line, a sort of London RER. The London Underground History website summarizes it well: "It was hoped that when their wartime use had come to an end, tunneling would re-start to allow the already constructed tunnel sections to be interconnected, providing the express Northern Line route. For this reason, most shelters were constructed with ease of access to the existing Northern Line in mind. All of these shelters were constructed close to and in parallel with the existing platform tunnels of nearby stations on the Northern Line, and have interconnection tunnels with the existing platforms. In some cases, these interconnections have since been blocked." Given this, I seriously doubt that they were hand-dug.

The circular surface entrances to many of them still survive, and some of the shelters are used for records storage. A fascinating look at what-might-have-been; thanks John Bull for bringing it our attention.