Rotaan?!!!!!

imallaboutcruising

We've been there many times, never a hint of trouble. Been to all the resorts mentioned and still like West Bay over it all.

That murder/crime record refers to the mainland Honduras, not Roatan. And I agree, you could find that in the states too....i.e. the Boston Marathon. How many passengers disembark there every year??? Thousands. A small fraction may experience robbery. If you do get approached...in any city...you give them what they want. It is always A poor decision to resist.

$30 gets you round trip transportation, a drink and a lounger at Bananarama.com

5bdvsp.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

Just read an article that said:

1,250,000 cruise ship passengers visit Roatan each year

Had no idea it was that high

From Roatan official site, I wouldn't quote anything from the site previously mentioned and cockroach who writes it.

This is from the US State Dept site:

Roatan and the Bay Islands experience lower crime rates than the Honduras mainland. The national government of Honduras, Roatan authorities, and businesses took measures in 2014 to improve tourism security. As on the mainland, thefts, break-ins, assaults, rapes, and murders do occur, and rates are still high by international standards. You should exercise caution, especially at night. If staying at a hotel resort, book tours and sightseeing through the resort or reputable tour companies. Coxen Hole on the island of Roatan should be avoided after dark.

If you are traveling on a cruise ship, you should take safety precautions, avoid unfamiliar areas, and take care to book only with reputable tour companies during your stopover in Honduras. Cruise lines and port agencies work with approved tour companies to offer packages. The port agencies at Mahogany Bay and Towne Center have worked to improve taxi service to and from the ports. The vast majority of cruise line passengers in Honduras experience no problems, but incidents of armed robbery and carjacking have been reported.

Couldn't find an exact amount of reported robberies of tourists anywhere. Did find a woman on Tripadvisor who said she was more afraid of her home town of Houston than Roatan:cool:

This could happen in New York, New Orleans, Galveston and any port here in the US or anywhere in the world and I don't see people not vacationing in there. Be always cautious of what is going on around you and you will be fine. Criminals look for easy targets, it does not matter where you are.

I knew it was just a matter of time before some one pulled the nugget quoted off the shelf. Again...Honduras rated number one murder capital of the world for multiple years and by a lot......

Some of you guys are hilarious....my tour bus driver told me this and I read on the Honduras tourism website it was safe. Meanwhile, thefts left and right, warnings from the state department, armed guards in full gear with AK47 buzzing around in the open.

First hand experience I was with a tour at a scenic overlook and out of the weeds comes some character offering to be my tour guide, I was like, umm, no, my tour guide is right over there. He would not go away and suddenly up the hill comes two armed soldiers on dirt bikes and just as quick the guy takes off back into the weeds....

While I agree, the times I have been there, some areas are beautiful and interesting. However, I have a rule of thumb, I do not put myself in a position which has a high rate of failure. For instance, on the lighter side, I do not take my kids to Chucky Cheese on a Saturday....nothing good can become of that.... and more specifically leaving the port gates in Roatan puts you in a high rate failure position, google it........

Edited by rolloman

I knew it was just a matter of time before some one pulled the nugget quoted off the shelf. Again...Honduras rated number one murder capital of the world for multiple years and by a lot......

Some of you guys are hilarious....my tour bus driver told me this and I read on the Honduras tourism website it was safe. Meanwhile, thefts left and right, warnings from the state department, armed guards in full gear with AK47 buzzing around in the open.

First hand experience I was with a tour at a scenic overlook and out of the weeds comes some character offering to be my tour guide, I was like, umm, no, my tour guide is right over there. He would not go away and suddenly up the hill comes two armed soldiers on dirt bikes and just as quick the guy takes off back into the weeds....

While I agree, the times I have been there, some areas are beautiful and interesting. However, I have a rule of thumb, I do not put myself in a position which has a high rate of failure. For instance, on the lighter side, I do not take my kids to Chucky Cheese on a Saturday....nothing good can become of that.... and more specifically leaving the port gates in Roatan puts you in a high rate failure position, google it........

Suddenly is a good response time.

I have never seen an armed guard in Roatan, Costa Maya MX yes, Roatan...never in 7 times there.

Thefts left and right is a pretty big generalization.

The stats on just walking outside ones door are pretty broad.

Life is a risk, any life....If I lived my life as you suggest, I'd never go anywhere or see anything or learn something new....all risk is relative.

I have never seen an armed guard in Roatan, Costa Maya MX yes, Roatan...never in 7 times there.

Thefts left and right is a pretty big generalization.

The stats on just walking outside ones door are pretty broad.

Life is a risk, any life....If I lived my life as you suggest, I'd never go anywhere or see anything or learn something new....all risk is relative.

Again...whatever....I think my long cruising history sailing the globe as well as being a trusted cruise critic member who tells it like it is (going back to when this board was AOL) speaks for itself. Also reading comprehension failure on your part...I made no suggestion(s) for you. I spoke of how "I" proceed. Have fun in Roatan....I would say be safe but it seems you have it all figured out. God forbid one of our cruise critic members go there in the near future and get hurt or ripped off by throwing caution to the wind after reading

posts like yours and a few others promoting the island as a safe environment.

Edited by rolloman

Again...whatever....I think my long cruising history sailing the globe as well as being a trusted cruise critic member who tells it like it is (going back to when this board was AOL) speaks for itself. Also reading comprehension failure on your part...I made no suggestion(s) for you. I spoke of how "I" proceed. Have fun in Roatan....I would say be safe but it seems you have it all figured out. God forbid one of our cruise critic members go there in the near future and get hurt or ripped off by throwing caution to the wind after reading

posts like yours and a few others promoting the island as a safe environment.

Trusted cruise critic member? LOL... God forbid anyone that listens to you with your condescending, demeaning commentary. You financially support (67 RCL cruises) a cruise line that takes people to Roatan. Then complain that people go enjoy themselves.

Lighten up Francis & Fear the Reaper.

I guess a cruise out of New Orleans is out of the question for you, since New Orleans is the Murder capital of the US or at least it was. I felt more uncomfortable in parts of Dallas then I have ever felt in any place I have been out of the country. I just don't make myself an easy target by paying attention to what is around me. Good luck with your cruises to all the safe places in the world.