NYC Hotel for Feb Vacay Breakaway cruise

ALS1214

Hello,

My hubby and I are planning to drive from Boston to NYC February 13 for the breakaway cruise on Feb 14th. Does anyone have a recommdation for a good hotel that is not to exensive, and close by?

I also read that parking at the peir is first come first serve, but there is a covered garage that valets you to the pier ( wonder if we can just leave our car there and taxi it to the pier as I am not confortable with leaving my car in someone elses hands.

While we are at it, I may as well ask if anyone from Boston Area has taken the bus up and how was it to get to the pier etc...

Lots of questions I know, but any help would be appreciated!

Last time I used Parkjockey.com, and got a decent rate. There might be coupon codes available. They will take you over to the pier, help your luggage out and then drive the car back to the garage (about 5-ish blocks). At the end of the trip, I left my husband with the bags and walked down to pick the car up.

We stayed the night before that trip at the Red Roof in Secaucus. Cheaper than the hotels right there near the pier.

We have stayed on the New Jersey side twice(much cheaper) and then driven in and parked at the pier. We've always gone early at around 9:00 am and have had no problems getting a spot. It's so great on disembarkation day to just walk to your car and drive away. :)

Here's a suggestion that is a little out of the way for you coming from the North, but worthy of a try.

Stay at the Jersey City Hyatt Regency, right on the Hudson River directly across the from the WTC site. Fantastic views of the "City" skyline. Cheaper than N.Y. with a one stop "under the river" train to N.Y.C. for a night out on the town prior to the cruise. Train access back runs all night long.

Then drive the next morning to the pier using the nearby tunnel and park at the pier. Why park anywhere else, unless money is a serious obstacle?

My guess is that the Hyatt is giving some Jan. deals at the moment.

ITA with advice to stay outside of NYC and drive the rest of the way in the morning. The only time we stayed in NYC was when we were spending time touring NYC. Hotels an hour from NYC are very reasonable, and even if you need to drive in on a weekday, leaving the hotel at 8:39 am will get you to the pier in lots of time. Just beware of traffic reports so you don't knowingly take a route that is backed up or has a collision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We drive down from south of Boston and stay at the Best Western in North Haven Conn right of Rt 91 Exit 12. Two hours down, then two hours the next morning to the pier. We will be doing this again the end of February.

thats an idea. The hotels in NYC are very very $$

I hate staying in Jersey and always prefer Manhattan. BUT, I'm doing my activies and enjoying the area. :)

Parking is costly, so an alternative I would suggest - to drive to a Metro North station- which has low parking fees and several daily trains. This then frees up funds for a superior hotel location and easy cab ride to the pier.

Do you have any touring you would like to include?

We did this cruise last April and drove from Salem, MA to Long Island City, NY. The hotel we stayed at was the Nesva. It's a very nice hotel and very affordable. The drive to the cruise port is a direct route over the Queensboro Bridge to Manhattan. It did not take more than 15 to 20 minutes. We had no problems with parking at the cruise port.

Stay in Tarrytown, Ny or Dobbs Ferry, Ny .

I am going to book a room there just in case there's a snow storm that weekend . Coming from hartford

Expensive valentines weekend in the city.

Take a cab from port Authority bus terminal if you take the bus from Boston.

We like to go early , not too much traffic in the city early Sunday mornings:)

We did this cruise last April and drove from Salem, MA to Long Island City, NY. The hotel we stayed at was the Nesva. It's a very nice hotel and very affordable. The drive to the cruise port is a direct route over the Queensboro Bridge to Manhattan. It did not take more than 15 to 20 minutes. We had no problems with parking at the cruise port.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to ever stay in Long Island city if they are driving in from MA

Even if you drive in a day early to spend in NYC, staying in Westchester....as in new Rochelle radisson....and walking to metro north to spend the evening in NYC is the better bet

White plains works well for this too

But driving to Long Island city to stay there is crazy

Btw new Rochelle and white plains are an incredibly easy ride to the port. 30 to 45 minutes max

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to ever stay in Long Island city if they are driving in from MA

Even if you drive in a day early to spend in NYC, staying in Westchester....as in new Rochelle radisson....and walking to metro north to spend the evening in NYC is the better bet

White plains works well for this too

But driving to Long Island city to stay there is crazy

Btw new Rochelle and white plains are an incredibly easy ride to the port. 30 to 45 minutes max

I agree- stay in Stamford, CT or Westchester NY and then take the Metro-North into the city. This saves money, saves parking and deals with the potential for driving in snow.

I advise you to post your question on East Coast Departures board ... or even read one of the many posts asking the same question. For what it's worth, I've stayed at the Skyline too and I love it. You can't park there for the week anymore, though. We parked at the pier.