How to get around with toddlers at ports of call? (car seat related)

Tier1Terrier

We just do things near port or take a bus because I'm not willing to get into a taxi without car seats. Sure people can say they didn't use one and their babies are fine/they didn't use them growing up & they're fine but that means nothing. What about the parents who didn't and their kid got in a horrible crash? It happens. I'm not comfortable living with that regret. We are going to Bermuda (docked for 2.5 days) and my baby will be almost 2. Buses only for us. My older two will be 5 & almost 7 and I'd still be uneasy about them riding without anything!

It's important to be aware that there are other risks besides car crashes without a seat belt. All parents allow children to take risks - you have to. You can't keep them locked in a padded cell till their 18th birthday. If you take them on a cruise, if you let them ride in a car strapped up to the nines, if you let them ride in a car with no seat belt at all, if you let them ride in a bus, you're increasing the risk. It's necessary to assess the risk and decide what risks ought to be taken (and what ought not). Is it worth a tiny risk of death to see the Mayan ruins for perhaps the only time in your life? It's a decision to make.

What's important is that parents don't forget how to think. A few years back there was a great outcry about school buses that didn't have seat belts. It wasn't compulsory then, though it is now. One woman was on national TV explaining that she wouldn't let her child ride on a school bus without a seat belt, but to ensure she didn't miss out on school trips, she would take the child in her car and follow the bus. This was stupid, because a child in a car driven by an amateur driver is less safe than a child in a bus driven by a professional, even allowing for the seat belts. She had an idee fixe, and used it to put her child into greater danger, because she wasn't prepared to (or able to) think.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending on which ports of call you are visiting, most of the time car seats are not required. Took my DS on a cruise last year when he was 28 Mths, visited tortola, antigua, st thomas, st kitss and at each port, it was trolleys, or golf cart types of vehicles, open air buses/wagons - there was no place to install a car seat.

You can also purchase a Safe Rider Vest to eliminate the car seat if your child is old enough http://saferide4kids.com/product/ridesafer-travel-vest/

• 1 month later...
Depending on which ports of call you are visiting, most of the time car seats are not required. Took my DS on a cruise last year when he was 28 Mths, visited tortola, antigua, st thomas, st kitss and at each port, it was trolleys, or golf cart types of vehicles, open air buses/wagons - there was no place to install a car seat.

You can also purchase a Safe Rider Vest to eliminate the car seat if your child is old enough http://saferide4kids.com/product/ridesafer-travel-vest/

Could you share what you did in St. Thomas and St. Kitts? Will be there next year with my 3 year old and 1 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app