Alaska Railroad question - logistics

shutterbug63

Trying to decide between taking Royal's train transfer from Anchorage to Seward and doing the Alaska railroad trip on our own for our southbound cruise from Seward in May. I've got the logistics of getting from our hotel to the train station (easy, hotel has a shuttle), but once we get to Seward, what are the logistics of getting from the train to the pier and how is luggage handled? I have some physical limitations that won't allow me to lift luggage so knowing how that's handled if we do the railroad independently is going to factor into my decision.

Thanks. Any information is appreciated.

Edited by shutterbug63

Are you going to Seward the day your cruise departs? If so, I would take the early regular scheduled run of the AKRR. That arrives by 11am or so and allows you to take the 6 hour Kenai Fjords boat trip or head to Exit Glacier before boarding your ship.

When you check in for the railroad, you tell them you are taking the ship. They will check your luggage right to the ship. It actually is transported from Anchorage by cruise line trucks.

Trying to decide between taking Royal's train transfer from Anchorage to Seward and doing the Alaska railroad trip on our own for our southbound cruise from Seward in May. I've got the logistics of getting from our hotel to the train station (easy, hotel has a shuttle), but once we get to Seward, what are the logistics of getting from the train to the pier and how is luggage handled? I have some physical limitations that won't allow me to lift luggage so knowing how that's handled if we do the railroad independently is going to factor into my decision.

We booked the train on our own.......

We handed our luggage to the porters in Anchorage (they put it in the luggage car) and after pulling into Seward we headed to the ship in a cab and never saw the luggage again until it arrived in our cabin. ;)

It was only a 5 minute ride to the pier.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If you book the transfer through the cruise line, your luggage will be checked in Anchorage and you won't see it again until you are on the ship.

If you book the train on your own you will need to arrange for the luggage to be transferred to the pier. The best way will be to get a cab to the pier to drop the luggage and then back to town to explore. (We aren't talking long distances wife and I walk from the small boat harbor, past the train depot to the pier in about 10 -12 minutes.)

If you book the transfer through the cruise line, your luggage will be checked in Anchorage and you won't see it again until you are on the ship.

If you book the train on your own you will need to arrange for the luggage to be transferred to the pier. The best way will be to get a cab to the pier to drop the luggage and then back to town to explore. (We aren't talking long distances wife and I walk from the small boat harbor, past the train depot to the pier in about 10 -12 minutes.)

This was not the case for our train trip we booked on our own. The luggage was taken to the ship the same as if we purchased a transfer.

Just make sure bag tags are on.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This was not the case for our train trip we booked on our own. The luggage was taken to the ship the same as if we purchased a transfer.

Just make sure bag tags are on.

Good to know, we have always stayed a couple of days in Seward before boarding the ship and ours was taken directly to the hotel.

This season, before you book, just call and verify the current transfers of luggage with RCI. In the past, they have transferred the bags to the ship.

Taking the regular run of the train, is a cost savings, but more important- an excellent time opportunity to do some touring of Seward. A gem, not to be missing. :) http://www.seward.com

Just posting this here as an FYI - this the email response I got from Alaska RR today re: luggage:

"Thank you for your email!

In regards to your inquiry, when you arrive to check-in at the Anchorage Depot for your travels to Seward you will need to let our baggage handlers know your destination. If you would like to claim your luggage at the Seward Depot your luggage will be transported on the train for you to claim upon arrival. If you would like your luggage transported directly to the cruise you will be joining, let the baggage handlers know your cruise name. The luggage will then be transported by luggage truck directly to the cruise ship for you.

I hope that this information is helpful, however, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know!

Thank you,

Alesia"

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't mind me asking what Hotel did you book? I am looking for a hotel with shuttle service from the Railroad?

If you don't mind me asking what Hotel did you book? I am looking for a hotel with shuttle service from the Railroad?

I was looking at the Quality Inn Historic Suites in Anchorage. They told me they have a shuttle to the railroad depot. However, we've since moved to the Captain Cook, so we'll just be taking a cab.

I was looking at the Quality Inn Historic Suites in Anchorage. They told me they have a shuttle to the railroad depot. However, we've since moved to the Captain Cook, so we'll just be taking a cab.

I have stayed at the Quality Suites, a very nice hotel, and great location for downtown, lots of eateries, attractions. A great choice for some.

• 3 weeks later...

We were booked on the Ak railroad in the Dome train. There were 5 of us. I noticed yesterday that the date was wrong. We booked for 6/24/16. The person who took our reservation but 6/23/16. Today I got a call that they could only take 4 of us in the Dome. My husband and I had to be moved to the Adventure class. I am not happy about this. We are traveling with our daughter, son in law and grandson. Now for my question. What type of food can we purchase? We will be leaving Anchorage at 6:45am. and going to Seward. Arriving there at 11:05 A.M. My husband has morning meds he must take with food.

Thanks for your help.

We were booked on the Ak railroad in the Dome train. There were 5 of us. I noticed yesterday that the date was wrong. We booked for 6/24/16. The person who took our reservation but 6/23/16. Today I got a call that they could only take 4 of us in the Dome. My husband and I had to be moved to the Adventure class. I am not happy about this. We are traveling with our daughter, son in law and grandson. Now for my question. What type of food can we purchase? We will be leaving Anchorage at 6:45am. and going to Seward. Arriving there at 11:05 A.M. My husband has morning meds he must take with food.

Thanks for your help.

there is a menu online

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/onboard-experience/dining

You should also be carrying some of your own food, with your "must" issue.

Edited by Budget Queen

I saw that sample menu, but we are on the adventure and all it says is lighter fare or grab and go.

I'm always in Adventure class, the meals are purchased where the Gold Star are included. The full dining car/menu has always been offered in my travels. I'd suggest you just call them and verify what the current dining is. Certainly there can be changes.

I switched my DD, SIL and GS to Adventure Class. We decided to take a few thing on the train with us. I called and the told me fruit, breakfast sandwiches, coffee. The girl I spoke to didn't know anything else. We will also take bottles of water.

Thanks for your help. Your always are so knowledgeable and helpful.