Would you downgrade from Fantastica to Bella (interiors)

LMaxwell

I am currently booked Fantastica Interior 10257 on Divina.

I am considering calling up to switch to Bella (Only if I can get Deck 9; I do not want a cabin directly above or below a public venue).

Are the Bella Interiors Smaller?

Would I lose my preference of dining time? To me that's a big deal because we have a toddler so late dining simply won't work.

I thought room service was free with Fantastica but it's only the delivery; I can't find food prices anywhere. Not impressed with that setup TBH.

We could save approx $200 switching from Fantastica to Bella. If the Fantastica room is indeed bigger and I won't have to worry about dining, it may be worth staying As Is.

Opinions.

I am considering calling up to switch to Bella (Only if I can get Deck 9; I do not want a cabin directly above or below a public venue).

Would I lose my preference of dining time? To me that's a big deal because we have a toddler so late dining simply won't work.

I thought room service was free with Fantastica but it's only the delivery; I can't find food prices anywhere. Not impressed with that setup TBH.

We could save approx $200 switching from Fantastica to Bella. If the Fantastica room is indeed bigger and I won't have to worry about dining, it may be worth staying As Is.

Opinions.

Here is a link to a post by Beamafar which gives the room service menu, with prices in Euros, which are about $1.00 = €1.00

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2266076&highlight=tuna

You can only get continental breakfast - no other meals are available to the cabin unless someone is ill.

You can get pizza (can't remember the price) and snacks such as soup and sandwiches from room service for a charge. Last time I looked, it was €3 a plate or 2 for €5. If you're in a Bella cabin, there will also be a charge for service. Here's a list from an earlier cruise, it may have changed slightly since:

Soup of the day

Italian antipasto platter

Mozzarella caprese

Mediterranean salad

Chicken caesar salad

Sandwiches:

Smoked salmon

Tuna salad

Speck ham

Ham and Cheese

Egg salad

Grilled vegetable

Cheese plate

Fresh fruit plate

Sweet temptations

Fresh fruit basket (5 pieces) €4.90

Thanks Skier. Your posts have been very helpful.

Is it possible they don't charge in the US? US menus I have seen list no prices, and the posting you referenced, if the times coincided with a recent cruise, would have been in Europe, hence the Euro reference? It's a bit confusing. Maybe I'm not firing on all 8 cylinders today.

Do you have any info regarding room size of the interiors on Bella vs Fantastica? If the rooms are the same size and MSC let me go to deck 9, and I keep my dining time, I'd opt to save the money overall.

Edited by LMaxwell

There are some interior rooms that are much smaller than others. We had one on Divina, and when I ran around taking pictures before debarking, I was surprised to find much larger interiors. I suspect all of the smaller ones are Bella. But you can't tell from the deckplans. Here are pictures of two cabins, both I2 interiors. The first is 13147, our cabin

Divina4_zpsyyn3tlwt.jpg

Divina5_zpsiuh5mzj0.jpg

Divina9_zpsnkjwonae.jpg

Second is 12275

Divina6_zpsdnjloakt.jpg

Divina7_zpsfvr86ald.jpg

Divina8_zpsiv6amw8s.jpg

In the smaller cabin, you can barely get around the foot of the bed by the desk, and the desk is shorter. the fridge has been moved to the corner where the larger cabin has the chair and table. No chair/table in the smaller cabin. I think it may be 2-3 ft. shallower, but that makes a big difference. EM

On our cruise from Miami in 2013, they did charge for room service.

Edited by Essiesmom

Is it possible they don't charge in the US? US menus I have seen list no prices, and the posting you referenced, if the times coincided with a recent cruise, would have been in Europe, hence the Euro reference? It's a bit confusing. Maybe I'm not firing on all 8 cylinders today.

Do you have any info regarding room size of the interiors on Bella vs Fantastica? If the rooms are the same size and MSC let me go to deck 9, and I keep my dining time, I'd opt to save the money overall.

The only thing I do know is the insides on deck 9 (in the normal across the ship alignment), come in two sizes.( I haven't got exact dimensions ) The cabins in the middle hump are smaller than those in the forward section. 9071/9074/9083/9086 are a different size again but being next to the lift shafts are probably best avoided.

I don't know which of the two sizes the cabins in the rear hump are but I suspect they are the larger of the two sizes.

The smallest of the insides are ~ 140 sq ft while the normal size are 168 Sq ft .

The "H" cabins (for people with special needs ) are 250 sq ft

Pete

Thank you both for your input and photos. very helpful.

I hope 10257 is a larger room. $200 may seem small, but on a total booking of $1300 is not insignificant. If the only thing it pays for is dining time selection I will not be pleased with 3 in a smaller room.

I am sailing on Divina in Feb, but have sailed on Poesia years ago. There were not charges for the food (room service) back then. That may have changed in the US market for them, but I doubt it.

Edited by iron9er

I keep overlaying the deck plans at cruise deck plans dot com and deck 9 has an extra cabin in what appears to be the same space, but when I actually overlay the plans on the elevator banks, it looks like the hallway is somehow longer on deck 9; so can't tell if an extra cabin is there in the same space, or if it is a longer space.

I'd be pleased with the larger cabin. There's enough space for 3 (with crib) to move around. the smaller room looks marginal at best.

Opinions.

I would stay with Fantastica for sure.

I sailed with a Bella Balcony in the Med and my wish for early dinner was granted. I too, saved almost €300 by avoidng a fantastica. You will only be in you cabin early morning and in the evening to sleep! Lack of space had very little impact when your sleeping :-)

Edited by Bra_BE2014

I have seen a lot of your posts here and other boards; I know you know the Divina well. Any other insights or opinions on cabin choice

Your cabin is 169 sq ft and it's the larger interior that the Divina has and it has 2 beds coming from the wall which makes the cabin seem a little smaller. If your toddler sleeps with both of you then the cabins that are square looking are very comfortable but they don't have the extra bed. For example we like the cabins 11137-11157 they have there own little hallway and it's very quiet. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!