Wi-Fi Navigator OTS

We were on Navigator in December. The wifi is very slow. Somedays it took twenty minutes to sign on. You cannot Skype, Facetime, stream movies, etc. It is only basic for checking email and maybe read news from a website.

Even at the wired Royal Caribbean Online lounge many days all six computers would not connect to the internet. I call Guest Services for help and no one ever arrived.

I noted this in the post-cruise survey and no one got back to me.

Really that slow ? I know it's not Voom like Anthem etc but I really thought it was faster than most other ships ..

I use an iPad is it better or worse for speed ?

Same slow speed no matter what device is used.

I was on the Navigator in November and noticed the Wi-Fi was much faster than previous cruises. I would suggest you ask some one that's using the internet when your on the ship before you purchase any minutes.

They say all ships should have VOOM by mid 2016 and I would probably not bother unless they had voom and you will know if it is available you can buy it onboard which allows you to use your OBC.

VOOM is great and is probably one of the best decisions they have made, one flat free fast, you can make voip calls for free, watch tv using your comcast, dish, direct TV account with no issues, so you can watch a football.baseball,hockey game if you want to with no issues.

You can also use VOOM to keep in touch on the ship.

They say all ships should have VOOM by mid 2016 and I would probably not bother unless they had voom and you will know if it is available you can buy it onboard which allows you to use your OBC.

VOOM is great and is probably one of the best decisions they have made, one flat free fast, you can make voip calls for free, watch tv using your comcast, dish, direct TV account with no issues, so you can watch a football.baseball,hockey game if you want to with no issues.

You can also use VOOM to keep in touch on the ship.

Does any one know when Navigator will have VOOM? We'll be sailing on 2/6/16 and it sure would be nice if they had it by then.. :-)

Does any one know when Navigator will have VOOM? We'll be sailing on 2/6/16 and it sure would be nice if they had it by then.. :-)

Royal has not released any detailed schedule for VOOM rollout beyiond saying something vague about 2016.

I believe they have to upgrade their equipment - not sure if they can do this easily or if they would have to wait for the next drydock due to wiring etc.

It wasn't one of the fastest internets I've seen at sea, however it was better than a few ships that I've been on. I did notice that it kept knocking me off line every 5-10 minutes. (I wasn't on for a long time usually, just to check email and send pictures. I would look again and it would be logged off).

I believe they have to upgrade their equipment - not sure if they can do this easily or if they would have to wait for the next drydock due to wiring etc.

It wasn't one of the fastest internets I've seen at sea, however it was better than a few ships that I've been on. I did notice that it kept knocking me off line every 5-10 minutes. (I wasn't on for a long time usually, just to check email and send pictures. I would look again and it would be logged off).

...thanks for the heads-up on that...sadly for my work I'll need to check it several times a day...what kind of speeds did you get and since you could send pictures that seems a little better than what some others have reported...??

Our last trip w/ RCI was on Allure in May of 2014 (pre-VOOM?) and I thought the internet speeds were decent.. I could use 'Internet Calling' (VOIP) feature on my cell phone for some calls and texts...hoping similar access on NOS :o

Edited by Brandon B

Googled "Voom". It is a TV network. What does that have to do with wi-fi on ships??

Voom is Royal's name for their implementation of O3b Networks high-speed satellite internet. Perhaps Royal is going to have a copyright issue?

Is their internet sufficient for texting, either through iMessage or regular text?

Thank you!

Yes the ship's WiFi works for iMessage, however for regular texting you would be using your cellular connection, not the ship's WiFi, so check with your cell carrier for costs.