Snorkeling for the "oldies"

azlew

We are taking the 10 day society-islands-tuamotus cruise but not til later this year. We are seniors but we are not extremely "active" .

The last time we snorkeled we jumped off a small boat near Isla Contoy and were dragged by a cross current into fire coral and my fiancée was burned up and cut pretty good by it. Earlier in the trip we had snorkeled walking off the shore into the water around Isla Mujeres in fairly calm waters and really enjoyed it. This was about 10 years ago. So now of course we are older and even less agile but willing to try snorkeling again. But some of the ship sponsored snorkeling tours sound like they might not work for us based on difficulty of the currents.

So the question we have is what PG (we have been given a generous amount of OC) offered snorkeling included trip would offer calm waters or more safety without the rip tides or whatever they are called? (thanks for your help)

We took the Tahiti & The Society Islands trip last September. We like to snorkel, but are careful of doing trips where strong currents are an issue.

We chose to do the PG snorkel excursion on Moorea. It included a first stop in shallow water (standing up- not snorkeling) to see stingrays. There were also black-tipped sharks there. We were a little nervous about that, but as they told us, they were gentle and not interested in us.

The second stop was for snorkeling. The water was extremely clear and we snorkeled around large brain coral outcrops, where we saw lots of fish. There was no issue with strong currents at all. There was beautiful white sand on the bottom and it was even possible to stand up on the sandy areas where it was shallow enough.

We really enjoyed it.

You can do some modest snorkeling on Motu Mahana, the "beach day". There's not a lot of coral left, but you can stay in shallow waters away from currents and you will see fish, and some coral outcroppings.

There's also a stingray/shark visit in the Bora Bora lagoon where you stand in waist-high water, and can use your mask. They then take you to snorkel over coral heads where there is no current either, although you do have to be careful snorkeling over the coral heads, if it gets too shallow.

There are snorkel trips in Moorea as well, inside the lagoon where there is no current. I haven't snorkeled enough in the Tuamotus to tell you much--I believe the Blue Lagoon on Fakarava has no current, and there's also the "Aquarium", on Rangiroa where there is deep water, tons of fish and no coral, no current. It's fairly close to the pass and dock but not sure how you get there (we stopped there on the way back from a motu picnic.) You can also walk into the water off Fakarava in places and do modest snorkeling straight from the shore.

Thanks Wendy. We want to be on the water as much as possible and see as much as we can of the wonderful fish there.

Since this is our first time on the PG we have decided to pretty much just use PG's excursions. I noticed on the PG website there are several snorkeling trips listed. I wonder what ones would be at the calmer waters?

Edited by azlew

You will have no issues on Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahaine, and at the motu on Taha'a. I would skip Rangiora due to the currents. Fakarava should also be a good choice. You can take a PG arranged excursion or set one up privately. Pure snorkeling by reef discovery on Bora Bora is superb.

All of the snorkel trips require some way to get in and out of the water. We have found that the ladders on all of the boats were easy to navigate. While you can jump in to the water almost everyone uses the ladder to get in as well.

Snorkeling at Motu Mahana can be a real treat. When we were there, there was an octopus on a piece of coral in waist deep water. He was adamant he was not going to be intimidated into moving along.

14004843399_6e637a7b26_z.jpg

Huahine has a current so keep that in mind.

The Bora Bora circumnavigation with PG is a real treat.

First you snorkel with the Sharks in deeper water. Then with the Rays. I don't swim but the water is waist deep here.

Then, the boat takes you to the other side of the island around the Nui, the beach were the club med used to be to a deeper snorkelling site. The. Fish are plentiful. Then you continue the circumnavigation if the lagoon. It's a great trip as you see the mountain from all sides and also pass by all the resorts.

I don't swim but it was still great.

Well, looking at the list of excursions (interesting since we also are taking this itinerary later this year and tend to take ship's excursions unless someone like Emdee is along to plan others), I see ones that look fine:

Rangiroa:

Snorkeling Rangiroa's Aquarium (deep water, but no current)

Fakarava:

Half Day to Teahatea Beach (this looks okay, but 30 minute boatride)

Bora Bora:

Sting Ray Ballet & Snorkel Safari (this is the one I mentioned, but many others look good too, and don't forget the motu, which is free)

Eco Snorkeling Tour (looks interesting--haven't done this, but something similar)--I see they now offer a "shortie" (wetsuit jacket) for increased buoyancy, so it might feel quite safe

Moorea: Catamaran Sail and Snorkel (I've done this--deep water but no current)

Lagoon Discovery & Snorkeling

Dolphin Watch Expedition (sometimes allows time to snorkel, but you're out on the water the whole time)

Huahine: haven't snorkeled, can't comment--we did Sacred Sites and Legendary Places

Again, make sure to heed the warnings in the descriptions--where they warn of currents or recommend the excursion for experienced snorkelers or strong swimmers.

Wendy thanks for going thru the list and commenting. We do see there is quite a selection.

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to trying the Aquarium on Rangiroa, since we stopped there by boat last time, but I didn't go in. The water was deep and there were too many snorkelers congregated together for my liking, and I was just recovering from surgery. But it looks like the excursion takes you to the little motu nearby so you can probably walk in. The fish are amazing--could see them very well from the boat.

Not sure why this excursion is so expensive. It looked quite close to the dock, and I'm wondering if one could find a local operator to take a small group. Anyone done that?

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to trying the Aquarium on Rangiroa, since we stopped there by boat last time, but I didn't go in. The water was deep and there were too many snorkelers congregated together for my liking, and I was just recovering from surgery. But it looks like the excursion takes you to the little motu nearby so you can probably walk in. The fish are amazing--could see them very well from the boat.

Not sure why this excursion is so expensive. It looked quite close to the dock, and I'm wondering if one could find a local operator to take a small group. Anyone done that?

Wendy if you find a group then you can use the operator I used last year. He has mixed reviews but is more likely to show with a group. I believe it was Tereva.

Fakarava blue lagoon is lovely. A must do. Since we won't have a group for our 2017 trip I have told Ato I will visit with him and his family and enjoy his beach and pension facilities. Since I was the one who first made contact with him and since then he has a number of groups from Oceania and the PG he is very thankful for my assistance.

Edited by Emdee

Pure Snorkeling on Bora Bora is a private excursion. You can look on tripadvisor for them. Most private excursions will be less expensive or in some ways better than those from the PG. Most PG snorkel trips are with a pretty large group,of 20-50 people. With this large a group they have limited stops to snorkel as it takes a long time to get that many in and out of the water.

Pure snorkeling is 6-8 passengers in a very fast ski type boat.

Emdee thanks for your input : If you don't swim did you float with a vest on to snorkle in Bora Bora or watch from the boat?

I watch from the boat. However I did get into the water with the stingrays.

I love the water in the lagoons so calm that I can see the fish and enjoy it without swimming.

Wendy if you find a group then you can use the operator I used last year. He has mixed reviews but is more likely to show with a group. I believe it was Tereva.

Fakarava blue lagoon is lovely. A must do. Since we won't have a group for our 2017 trip I have told Ato I will visit with him and his family and enjoy his beach and pension facilities. Since I was the one who first made contact with him and since then he has a number of groups from Oceania and the PG he is very thankful for my assistance.

Miriam, you mean Tereva does the Aquarium on Rangi? Not sure I want to try to organize private this time. Our roll-call is sparse so far, and not sure it's worth the hassle, especially since we're only there for a half day.

When it comes to Fakarava, then again, I see no Blue Lagoon on the excursions list, so I guess private is the only way to do this? I seem to remember a timing problem from last year. We appear to be in Fakarava all day. I see nothing but dives and a half day beach excursion there. Maybe this is the one place where private might be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I took the ship-sponsored snorkeling excursion to the "Aquarium" in Rangiroa. The snorkeling was absolutely amazing, and we had no issue at all with strong currents. However, the boats that were used were rustic and had no ladder into the water. You had to sort of propel yourself off the side of the boat. Not a huge deal, but some agility was required, no doubt about it. Now, this was back in 2012, so things could have changed.

..........boats that were used were rustic and had no ladder into the water. You had to sort of propel yourself off the side of the boat. Not a huge deal, but some agility was required, no doubt about it. Now, this was back in 2012, so things could have changed.

That's exactly what we are trying to avoid. No ladder coming in/out the water would not be safe for us. So looks like we will need more info about each excursion as far as safety. We can swim but we can't jump from the water into a boat :eek:

That's exactly what we are trying to avoid. No ladder coming in/out the water would not be safe for us. So looks like we will need more info about each excursion as far as safety. We can swim but we can't jump from the water into a boat :eek:

Oddly, I don't remember how we got back into the boat! For some reason getting back into the boat didn't make as negative an impression on me as getting into the water did. I'm going to ask my husband if he remembers. Stay tuned.

In regards to Rangiroa, my daughter and I took the Aquarium excursion and enjoyed it, although it did require climbing a ladder. My daughter then snorkeled right near the dock and advised me that she saw as many fish as out in the deeper water.

That is very good to know, Carol!

Apparently there WAS a ladder available to climb back into the boat (per my husband). Why it was not used to exit the boat I do not know. My advice is to tell the boat operator that you want to exit the boat via the ladder.

Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...
Huahine has a current so keep that in mind.

The Bora Bora circumnavigation with PG is a real treat.

First you snorkel with the Sharks in deeper water. Then with the Rays. I don't swim but the water is waist deep here.

Then, the boat takes you to the other side of the island around the Nui, the beach were the club med used to be to a deeper snorkelling site. The. Fish are plentiful. Then you continue the circumnavigation if the lagoon. It's a great trip as you see the mountain from all sides and also pass by all the resorts.

I don't swim but it was still great.

Emdee, I've been reading this thread because I have similar concerns as the OP has. Thanks for your responses.

Which excursion on Bora Bora is the circumnavigation one you refer to?

Betty