Just booked our first "O" cruise!

hiccups

We found the opulent and heavy decor on Uniworld even more overpowering in person than in photos. The bigger issue was that the sofas and chairs in the main lounge were not comfortable and neither were the furnishings in the aft lounge. Normally I like to enjoy relaxing with a book or my laptop while having an early morning coffee but not on this trip. It is indeed a matter of personal taste and decor would not stop us from sailing with the line again.

We are on Scenic in three months and have seen their ships while in port. The modern luxury is appealing to us.

Riviera was a nice mix of modern and traditional. We thought the ship was lovely.

I wonder if as one the newer ships, Catherine isn't a bit "more" Uniworld than River Queen. No leopard lounge on "Queenie." LOL! I was prepared for the furniture to be uncomfortable, but it wasn't. In particular the wing chairs in the library were quite nice.

The pictures of the Riviera certainly are nice and we're looking forward to experiencing a new line. It might not top the service of Uniworld (and with ten times the number of passengers, I wouldn't expect it to), but I'm pretty sure the ship and service will be above Royal Caribbean. But for the deal we got, even if it's the same, we're okay with that!

The pictures of the Riviera certainly are nice and we're looking forward to experiencing a new line. It might not top the service of Uniworld (and with ten times the number of passengers, I wouldn't expect it to), but I'm pretty sure the ship and service will be above Royal Caribbean. But for the deal we got, even if it's the same, we're okay with that!

IMO and IME as Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean with over 40 cruises (my last cruise with them was in 2006 and I cannot imagine returning to them for any reason) O is not even on the same planet as RCI. :D

The service on Riviera was very good overall for a large ship. And with your realistic expectations I expect you will have a wonderful trip!

We found the opulent and heavy decor on Uniworld even more overpowering in person than in photos. The bigger issue was that the sofas and chairs in the main lounge were not comfortable and neither were the furnishings in the aft lounge. Normally I like to enjoy relaxing with a book or my laptop while having an early morning coffee but not on this trip. It is indeed a matter of personal taste and decor would not stop us from sailing with the line again.

We are on Scenic in three months and have seen their ships while in port. The modern luxury is appealing to us.

Riviera was a nice mix of modern and traditional. We thought the ship was lovely.

After seeing Uniworld decor photos, it would be wise to make sure you limit their fine wines. While in bed after a lovely evening of eating and drinking, the room would surely be spinning. Then you have to wake up to that same decor!

After seeing Uniworld decor photos, it would be wise to make sure you limit their fine wines. While in bed after a lovely evening of eating and drinking, the room would surely be spinning. Then you have to wake up to that same decor!

Thankfully the cabin we had was quite sedate in terms of decor or this would have indeed been an issue :). Limiting fine wines would be far too challenging on the Rhone.:D

Having been on Uniworld cruises, I have found both the food and drink to be excellent and of similar quality to that served on Oceania. The included wine served with dinner, on Uniworld, is often of higher quality than that included under O's various drinks packages.

The décor is bright but definitely not boring. Décor is really a personal thing. I found Viking's to be boring for instance. However, some people like the "industrial" look in their home with open piping and ductwork exposed, and concrete floors which I find outrageous. I'd never buy a home with an open concept, so your guests can sit around and look at all the dirty dishes, pots and pans piled up why they are eating, but many rave about it! We go into the dining room, away from the mess, to eat and then into the living room or patio afterwards. So arguing over person taste doesn't go far. Each to their own in that regard.

We took the included air and got our flights today, and I'm pleased. They could have gotten us on a flight that arrives earlier, but eh, not worth paying the deviation fee. The return flight is better than what I was finding on my own. For me to book the flights on our own would have cost over $600 each, so I'm happy!