Bringing Alcohol on NCL ship

las52

My Golly. My Gosh!!…. I have received information from this database and/or from personal experience from others….. I am extremely sorry that I have not been able to fully negotiate this site and do PROPER paragraphs……others have not been able to spell, EX: diffucult VS difficult ……that is not the point….I have tried to ”edit” my original posts , sorry to say that I can not…..MY ignorance …. If you want to read what I have posted then take an extra few minutes and CAREFULLY read it……if not, then move on…..with up most sincerity …….Dan

Dan understasnd why your paragraphs are running together..It also happened to me when they changed this board yesterday..Suggest you do the following if you are using Internet Explorer:

Go to the top of this board: In the blue box across the board on the left you will see User CP..

Click on User CP

Scroll down to: Display Options

Be sure that the box Show Images is checked..

Now scroll down to Misc. Options

Be sure that Enhansed Interface Full WSIWYC is in the box..

Save changes..

You should now see all the smilies, spell check, fonts etc at the top of the reply box..You also will be able to divide your posts up into paragraphs..etc..

Welcome to the boards & good luck..Hopefully this will work for you too..Please let us know..

Have a Great Time on your Cruise..:)

Betty

There are many other lines we can choose from in the future and if they want to be petty over a bottle of Scotch then something is seriously wrong....we will choose one of them and sail on a different ship next time, simple as that. The cruise industry has been doing well and growing as is, but it is highly competitive. This is an obvious way to make even more money and if no one complains then they will all jump on the wagon to do so, and that looks like the direction they are headed. I do not care for NCL because they are pushing the envelope in many directions, While I like the concept of FREE-style dining "eating when you want and with whom you want and even in different dining rooms", there is very little else that is FREE about it. You pay extra for meals in different places other then the main dining rooms. The more people that eat at these and pay extra then the more they will do it. Bottom line another way to make more money. We will NOT be eating in any place we have to pay extra for. More then likely this will be our FIRST and LAST cruise on NCL....
I totally get what you're saying...even the long paragraphs! I followed it and I agree with a lot of what you said. I would, however, suggest you give NCL the benefit of the doubt before deciding that this will be your last cruise with them. You might be surprised.

So so true...there are many cruise lines to choose from and when you're unhappy with one, there is another that's more than happy to get your money. That's why it's great to have so many options. You should go with the line that you like best that handles things in a way that you like. I will add that I'm overjoyed that the cruise lines have started to offer ala carte items in every area of the operation. Nothing makes me happier than getting a fantastic cruise price without having to pay for all the extras that used to come included that I never used. That's great for me! I don't have to spend extra if I don't want to and I get to take the cruise. ;) I think ala carte pricing has opened cruising up to millions of people that could never afford to cruise and that's helped fuel competition. In the end, I think the consumer wins.

Have a great cruise!

Cecilia...I liked your response....I have been trying to Repost my LONGER "one" paragraph which does explain some of my feelings......It looks good on WORD but not sure what it will look like on here............... I would be more than happy to get your input on that...... sincerely Dan

No cruise line has the policy of bringing your own liquor on board and if you are caught they all will confiscate it.

Simply not the case.

Please see: http://cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=46

4 lines on that list (including NCL) indicate confiscation. Most allow. Even those that don't allow, tend to not enforce thier own policy.

NCL does have the policy of confiscation and they enforce it. But, they are by no means in the majority regarding bring-aboard spirits. It's just what they choose to do.

No cruise line has the policy of bringing your own liquor on board and if you are caught they all will confiscate it.

Simply not the case.

4 lines on that list of 15 (including NCL) indicate confiscation. Most allow. Even those that say it's not allowed, tend to not enforce thier own policy.

NCL does have the policy of confiscation and they enforce it. But, they are by no means in the majority regarding bring-aboard spirits. It's just what they choose to do.

Friends of ours cruised the Dawn out of NYC and here is what happened.

( I neither endorse or condemm what they did. I am just reporting the facts.)

They took tons of booze, a BLENDER and bottles of pina colada mix, etc. etc.

They split this portable cocktail lounge between 6 different checked suitcases.

They were a family of 4 in two seperate cabins.

Five suitcases went through without incident.

One suitcase was nabbed,

A note was put on their cabin door to report to xxx room on Deck 2....

My friend reported to the room and was asked to ID his suitcase. He was told that security had detected "contraband". He was asked if he had alcohol in the bag and if so, it would be held to the end of the cruise.

The suitcase contained 2 bottles of gin and 1 vodka.

He opened the suitcase just enough to grab one of the bottles of gin and gave it to security.

They DO NOT hand search your bag.

They gave him a receipt and he took his bag.

Simply not the case.

4 lines on that list of 15 (including NCL) indicate confiscation. Most allow. Even those that say it's not allowed, tend to not enforce thier own policy.

Rick

I guess I see different results in the same list all the major mass market lines indicate not allowed - NCL, Carnival, HAl , Celeberty, Princess, RCI - some how since those make up perhaps 90% of the US passengers not sure you can say most allow.:confused:

Simply not the case.

Sorry, I was speaking about mid-priced lines(should have clarified this) and they have the NO policy. Policies do change as in RCI. You used to be able to pay that $9.50 fee to take it to your room after you bought it in the store on board......last time I heard, no more.

Enforcing the policy is not the issue, they have the policy and they can. NCL chooses to be more vigilant.

Bottom line..........purchase the bar set-up:)

Cecilia...I liked your response....I have been trying to Repost my LONGER "one" paragraph which does explain some of my feelings......It looks good on WORD but not sure what it will look like on here............... I would be more than happy to get your input on that...... sincerely Dan
Hi Dan. I've never used Word to write my responses. I type them directly into the reply box and just hit the return key twice to start a new paragraph. That puts a double space between my thoughts. Same thing I'd do in Word if I used that. Another option might be typing things in bullet style or numbered. That way you can point out each thing you're trying to say. For example:

1. I like this about NCL.

2. I don't like that about NCL.

3. We're taking our first NCL cruise and don't like that they have this policy.

4. etc.

Hope that helps!

I guess I see different results in the same list all the major mass market lines indicate not allowed - NCL, Carnival, HAl , Celeberty, Princess, RCI - some how since those make up perhaps 90% of the US passengers not sure you can say most allow.

Like the discussion elsewhere regarding statistics used to rate NCL so low, I think you have purposly tried to muddy the water.

Before your post, there was no mention of size of cruise line, number of pax carried, percentage of pax that are effected, the market to which these lines cater nor the nationalities of those pax. {You may want to start your own thread if you'd like to discuss those elements of the cruise industry. This thread is about bringing alcohol aboard NCL.}

The posted statement to which I responded was simply:

No cruise line has the policy of bringing your own liquor on board and if you are caught they all will confiscate it. [ed. my enphasis][/Quote]

Seahorse has since restated her original post to include only mid-sized lines. Since the list provided by CruiseCritics doesn't indicate if a line is big, mid or small-sized, I can't speculate as to what criteria CruiseCritics would use to constitute each.

The simple bottom line, so that nobody is misled or confused, is:

1) 73% (11 of 15) of the cruise lines listed have no confiscation policy.

2) 27% (4 of 15) of the cruise lines listed have a confiscation policy.

One could create an argument (if so inclined) regarding the list of 11 with no confiscation policy. Of those cruise lines listed in this group:

1) 64% (7 of 11) the policy is "Allowed"

2) 36% (4 of 11) the policy is "Not Allowed"

So, what happens to your carry-on booze on those four listed cruise lines? They don't allow it, but there is no confiscation policy. In fact, they don't even search, or care. From experience (HAL), and reading other boards, I know, they "allow" you to bring it aboard since there is no recourse for them to do otherwise without such a policy.

And so:

If you travel one of the four more restrictive lines, I agree with seahorse: ...purchase the bar set-up:eek:.

If you travel on one of the 11 less restirictive lines: drink up.:rolleyes:

ps. I don't think ANY of this has ANYTHING to do with ANYBODY enjoying their vacation. It certainly doesn't deserve the board-space it takes up here and on numerous other identical threads. If it does, maybe we need to talk to a Friend of Bill.

Just call me Muddy Waters - all I did is point out that the lines that carry more then 90% of the passengers all have a no liquor policy.

Also the source is dated. I believe that article was posted at least a year ago.

RCI has changed for sure stored is a nice way to say what some call confiscation:

BYOB?

Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed.

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Up to two bottles of “fine” wine or Champagne may be brought onboard with prior permission. Only wines that are not served by Royal Caribbean will be allowed. A $12 corkage fee applies, and Royal Caribbean assumes no responsibility for fines nor confiscated bottles by local authorities.

Purchasing liquor in port: Retained until the end of the cruise.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Yes, allowed, but guests who choose to consume it onboard must pay a $9.50 consumption fee at time of purchase; otherwise the purchase is held until the end of the cruise. No open bottles of liquor are allowed in dining rooms or public spaces.

From the RC Website today:

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=0000fnuZRmU7Wy-Wi-484j3bQVz:10ktmf05t#1

Check out the current Carnival site not only will booze be held but excess soft drinks will be taken and not returned.

"Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded."

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Hey,

I didn`t call you Muddy Waters:cool: That was Rick with his no but no confiscation business and all his numbers were off anyway.

I am SURE things have changed since that was published. Heck, they could be changing as we speak.

Why do I always want a drink after threads like these:eek:

Hey,

I didn`t call you Muddy Waters:cool: That was Rick with his no but no confiscation business and all his numbers were off anyway.

I am SURE things have changed since that was published. Heck, they could be changing as we speak.

Why do I always want a drink after threads like these:eek:

I know but I like the name - perhaps a new handle:D

SHOREGUY.... YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I guess I have the new handle "SQUEAKY" and I kind of like that too! To let you all know I sent a letter to the Executive Office of NCL and I will be more than happy to share the response when they do reply.... Counting my days to our cruise! I am very much looking forward to the cruise on NCL and I will share my FIRST experience with them. A cruise is SOMETHING that YOU make out of it, and you will usually find what you are looking for, I always look for a good time! sincerely Dan, Alias "squeaky Wheel"

Delta Queen and Asti Spumante - A Report From Rhett & Scarlett...

The Grand American Queen - Mardi Gras Week End 2005...

After strolling up the Gang Plank, Scarlett and I perused the drink'n vittales and did not see our favorite brand of "tick'ln" wine.

We inquired if our favorite I Talian "Pop" was sold on the Boat...

They said it was not.

We took a stroll to the nearest store and purchased several bottles.

We carried them, in plain "site" back on board...Nothing was said or questioned.

PS - We popped a bottle after the NE Patriots beat the PHL Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX - We were Eagle fans, for the day, but shared some good sportsmanship in the Engine Room bar with fellow guests from New England!

Hi, I read your post and I'm understand it s not possible to bring alchool. My english language is not really good so I don t understand all. But, in your opinion, it s possible or not to pass with alchool in a plastic bottle... just a little bit. I m from Canada and it s expensive for us, the plane, cruise, extras.... and I just would like to bring a little bit of alchool!!! Do you know how they do to find the alchool in my luggages.... sorry for my english!!!! thank...

Flavored water and soda are a-ok. You can try to bring the beer .. but its hit and miss.. I am bring a soft sided cooler with our pop and I bet if you intermingled the beer with the pop they wouldnt check a few cans, but who knows???

In some parts of the country they sell beer in plastic bottles. Those should pass thru better than cans.

However, at a price of about $18 for a 6-bottle bucket of beer on board, is it worth the hassel and the chance it will leak. Not to mention the added weight of bag you will have to carry for awhile.

I've been on the Dawn twice, May 2003 and Feb 2004. The first time we brought 6 bottles of wine to enjoy on the balcony while the kids slept, and they all made it fine. The second time we had 4 bottles, and all our luggage got confiscated. We had to go and remove the wine, and they held it until the last night (so we had one bottle that night anyway!) BUT.... I carried on a bottle of champagne, and they found it, and when I told them it was for my birthday, and my ride who dropped us off just gave it to me, they allowed it. They told us that they allowed wine to be carried on in 2003, but that policy had changed. We're on the Spirit in Feb, so I'm not sure if I'll try again or not.

As for Free-style, we LOVE it! We always take our kids with us, they are 5 (this will be her 5th cruise) and 1.5 (his second), and it works great for us. We're not tied to schedules. When we came back from Orlando each time we went on the Dawn, it was too late to make a traditional early dinner (we had that on Carnival), but we could change and go wherever we wanted. And like someone else already said, we met people during the day on the excursion, and met them for dinner at night. It works great for us. And my husband who hates to dress, well, he's more than happy to leave his tie home. Collared shirt is the most he wants to wear on vacation. (I personally miss shopping for the new evening dress for each cruise, and I've been on 10!)

HAL used to have a nice liquor policy where you could buy it in the duty free shop and for a reasonable surcharge take it to your cabin. But they changed a couple of years ago to the same policy as the other mass market lines.

Archived