All land or land/sea to Soufriere?

lolavix

The difference between Herod's and Spencer's tour is that Herod's is land down and sea back, while Spencerville by sea both ways. The land portion of Spencer's tour is in Soufriere itself, the trip from the ship is by sea both ways, hence more expensive...so, if you want to see the West Coast by land, Herod's is the tour you'd want as it's by van down the West coast, visit to the sights, then sea portion back up to the ship...Spencer's tour is via speedboat both ways...

The difference between Herod's and Spencer's tour is that Herod's is land down and sea back, while Spencerville by sea both ways. The land portion of Spencer's tour is in Soufriere itself, the trip from the ship is by sea both ways, hence more expensive...so, if you want to see the West Coast by land, Herod's is the tour you'd want as it's by van down the West coast, visit to the sights, then sea portion back up to the ship...Spencer's tour is via speedboat both ways...

Well, thank you for that information! :) Would I miss very much if I did not do the land portion with Herods?

Well, thank you for that information! :) Would I miss very much if I did not do the land portion with Herods?

I'll direct you back to Post #16 from Kelsey D. That post sums it up pretty well. I'd also direct you back to all the posts from the beginning that suggest land down and sea back, and their various reasons....

The land portion does showcase a fair amount of St Lucia within the city and down the coast with the bananas, fishing villages, scenic overlooks, etc. Given the lower cost also, which adds up for a family, it would be something to consider.. Enjoy your visit.

I have not toured with Herod, but I have toured with Spencer. Although our experience goes back a few years now, my family have toured to Soufriere both by land as well as by speedboat.

In considering whether you would like to go down by land or travel by speedboat, here are a few points to consider:

1. If you are coming down to Soufriere by van from Castries you will be driving on curvy and winding roads for a good 60-90 minutes. If you are prone to motion sickness, this drive could get to you. However, the drive is broken up by stops which really helps with the long drive on the winding roads.

2. If you are coming down to Soufriere by speedboat you avoid the ride on the curvy and winding west coast road. You will still see the fishing villages of Anse La Raye and Canaries, but from the sea instead of by land.

3. Travelling by speedboat is faster than travelling by land. This means you can beat the crowds and get to the sites in Soufriere ahead of those arriving by van. Also since you save time travelling by speedboat, you can get more time to enjoy the sites and beach.

4. I do not know if Herod stops at the Morne Fortune Overlook--this is where you can see your ship below--but on the land tour with Spencer we stopped here. This stop is not included in Spencer's Land & Sea tour. I also do not know what stops by boat are all included in Herod's tour. Does he also stop at the Bat Cave or drive through Marigot Bay?

You do not need to worry about the 8:30 departure time. If the ship is late, the tour operator will wait as they know you can not get there any sooner.

I am sure you will have a great experience with either operator.

After having been to St. Lucia many times over the years we now like to do it ALL BY SEA! :)

Yes, I also preferred the thrill of a speedboat ride over driving on those winding roads!

Edited by dz63

After having been to St. Lucia many times over the years we now like to do it ALL BY SEA! :)

Yes, I also preferred the thrill of a speedboat ride over driving on those winding roads!

Thank you for the additional information and the "vote of confidence." All of a sudden I was upset that I hadn't researched better before booking. We are on a Journeys cruise and have a LOT of ports of call and this is the ONE I was most confident about and looking forward to the most and all of a sudden I thought I might have made the wrong decision! I am going to stay with Ambrose and just cough up the $40 difference to "it will probably be worth it." :p

I have not toured with Herod, but I have toured with Spencer. Although our experience goes back a few years now, my family have toured to Soufriere both by land as well as by speedboat.

In considering whether you would like to go down by land or travel by speedboat, here are a few points to consider:

1. If you are coming down to Soufriere by van from Castries you will be driving on curvy and winding roads for a good 60-90 minutes. If you are prone to motion sickness, this drive could get to you. However, the drive is broken up by stops which really helps with the long drive on the winding roads.

2. If you are coming down to Soufriere by speedboat you avoid the ride on the curvy and winding west coast road. You will still see the fishing villages of Anse La Raye and Canaries, but from the sea instead of by land.

3. Travelling by speedboat is faster than travelling by land. This means you can beat the crowds and get to the sites in Soufriere ahead of those arriving by van. Also since you save time travelling by speedboat, you can get more time to enjoy the sites and beach.

4. I do not know if Herod stops at the Morne Fortune Overlook--this is where you can see your ship below--but on the land tour with Spencer we stopped here. This stop is not included in Spencer's Land & Sea tour. I also do not know what stops by boat are all included in Herod's tour. Does he also stop at the Bat Cave or drive through Marigot Bay?

You do not need to worry about the 8:30 departure time. If the ship is late, the tour operator will wait as they know you can not get there any sooner.

I am sure you will have a great experience with either operator.

Yes, Herod stops at Morne Fortune Overlook, the bat cave, and Marigot Bay.

I agree that either operator will be great.

ImageUploadedByForums1455713931.285703.jpg.4a8041f468fbfe66e8a54c1391295edc.jpg

Here are just a few of the pictures from the land portion of the trip that I don't think you would see on Spencer's tour. Scenic overlooks and lunch at Herod's mother's house.

Not sure why they're so blurry???

ImageUploadedByForums1455713896.156587.jpg.29e6a4ee374a8b95d902cd351b0c8331.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1455713914.488119.jpg.ffad2bd6dcb9f0ddee3942e2e1103516.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1455713923.419705.jpg.85e03ad0bedc39e4dd9b83978b6d573e.jpg

Edited by Kelsey D

I have done both types.

As a retired police officer, I recommend the sea option.

I took a ship sponsored land excursion. But there was a different type of excitement, at one of the excursion stops:

I felt that I was being "followed" by a local person. So we changed our direction of travel. That individual susequently pulled a knife, on a fellow excursion traveler, and attempted to rob him. St Lucia police arrested the person.

I reported this incident to tour operator. He nonchalantly commented that this offender, has attempted robberies in the past. He is transported to the "other side of the island", for a few days. Then he returns....

Crime can happen anywhere, of course. But I definitely recommend a catamaran excursion....

One more question about Ambrose....maybe Holly will be able to answer, kind of silly, but does the boat go fast? We have a speed boat at our summer camp in the Adirondack Mts. and whoever is driving goes FAST and I hate it lol. :o Also, how many people does he put in the boats and van?