Carnival requiring 3 people in certain rooms?

kaylynn723

Has anybody heard of Carnival requiring three people in certain rooms? I'm trying to book a room April 13th 2016 cruise on the Elation shows sold out for 2 people. If i put in three people in it shows plenty of oceanview rooms available? Will they open up these rooms for sale eventually for two people?

Yes, there are occupancy restrictions on triple and quad cabins. As it gets closer to the sailing if the triple or quad cabins remain unsold they may allow them to be sold with only 2 occupants. They are especially strict about this over the holidays, Spring Break and when school is out of session in the summer.

If you have a triple or quad booked and someone cancels they can and will move you to another cabin.

It can also be true that sometimes they have quad and triple cabins available, but will only permit double occupancy because the number of passengers in relation to the lifeboats has been maxed out.

I noticed this, too, when I was doing mock bookings and trying to get adjacent ocean view cabins for my family of five. I was having a difficult time trying to manage this until I noticed on the Carnival website's deck plans if you hover over a particular room, it will tell you the maximum occupancy, and that was what it was allowing me to book (so "maximum occupancy" became required occupancy). Although we ended up booking a different arrangement, I was able to figure out where the cabins for two changed to cabins for three and would have been able to book them side by side...but yes, it took me awhile to figure out why I saw different cabins available when I was looking at the second room (which only had two people as opposed to the first room which had three)...this wasn't for Spring Break cruises, but it was a long way out.

Edited by lolavix

It's definitely not because of the Spring Break thing. Most of the country has Spring Break in March, not April. That's why prices for cruises & beach hotels are crazy expensive in March, then much cheaper in April. Some parts of the country have it in April. They are very lucky; those families save tons of money. But also, this is a 10-day cruise, which doesn't really work for any Spring Breakers.

Check the booking engine again. I went in and found about 8 OV rooms for 2 people on Riviera deck available, 4 forward & 4 aft. Those rooms are able to sleep 3 or 4, but they look to be open for booking it with 2 people. When I went up to 3 people, a few more rooms did open up.

I'm thinking that because this is one of those nice Journeys cruises, and at a very nice time of year, lots of people (who are not Spring Breakers) want to take this one. The popularity of it caused them to restrict it to the number the room holds, to some degree. The rest could open up as it gets closer, but if you want to go, I would jump on one of those Riviera deck rooms right away.

College spring breaks may be in March but in metro Atlanta, school system spring breaks are the first two weeks in April. Ours is the first week and some other systems are the following week.

Edited by amyh13

Ran in to the same thing booking our family reunion AK cruise this summer. We wanted to book all trips or quads as we have a few "maybes" who can't commit just yet (and the locations were better too). Toyed with putting a deposit down for them to get the rooms and cancelling before final payment if necessary. But at least one of those maybes will not know his situation until a lot closer than that.

Our agent acted as if this is now fairly common and suggested we get what we could and check back in a couple of months.

Another reason why they do this is, what if all the triple and quads are booked by doubles, and a couple of families of 3 or 4 wanted to book, they would lose out. I have been told by my PVP in the past they might let you book a triple for 2, but you might get bumped to a different cabin, and not necessarily a better one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there are rooms for parties of 3. There are rooms for parties of 4. Not every room is a double.

Whether they will relax the occupancy restrictions or not, who knows. We were able to book a quad on the Sunshine for just the two of us about 6 months before the cruise. They weren't showing as available for 2 at first but then I kept checking and noticed them open when doing a mock booking and was able to. Keep checking.