Breakaway - Disembarking Questions

ojennastiffeny

Those that have sailed on the Breakaway Bermuda cruise out of NY, what has been your personal experience with disembarking? I am set to sail in May and I'm looking into booking flights. Ideally, I will do self walk off ASAP and call a taxi to the airport (is JFK or LaGuardia closer?). I know the ship is scheduled to arrive back at 8 a.m. but sometimes gets in a bit earlier.

If you were to self disembark and take a taxi to the airport, what time would you book a flight if you were interested in getting out ASAP and not waiting around?

I've never been on that ship, but live in NY. Actually, Newark is closest by mileage. Between LGA and JFK, they're about the same distance, LGA probably a bit closer, but might be the worst airport in the country.

No, LGA is about 11 miles from the cruise terminal while EWR is about 15 . JFK is the furthest at about 17 miles and also often takes far more time to get to because of traffic.

It's a lot cheaper to get a cab from the port to laguardia than Newark, and usually faster. JFK is the farthest. I'd get a flight after 1, in case there is a problem with customs at the pier.

I agree in general, but a noon departure from LGA is a pretty safe bet.

I would agree with planning a noon departure. We walked off with our bags and were off the ship by 8:15 - 8:30am (doesn't mean you will be). We paid a service to hold our bags and we spent several hours in the city before catching a cab the LGA. As painless as you can get in NYC. Have Fun.

I agree in general, but a noon departure from LGA is a pretty safe bet.

If things go smoothly, OP would probably get to the airport easily before 10. There is always the risk of delays, which get mentioned on CC every other month or so. I was on one of those sailings a couple of years ago, and no way would have made a noon flight. We pulled into our driveway at noon, instead of 9 of so.

LGA is the easiest airport to fly in/out from the cruise port. It is a flat rate fare, if you let the driver decide his best route for that day it will only differ by bridge or tunnel charges. My experience with disembarkation in Sept was interesting. We had priority so got off right behind the walk offs, who started about 7:45am. When we got to the baggage claim we found people of all bag tag colors already searching the color sections, people claiming walk off status were picking up bags everywhere. We grabbed a porter because we knew he would bypass the customs line which already had hundreds of people in them. He took us to the front of his line and we were through customs in 3 minutes, then took us up the cargo elevator to the embarkation deck where the porters had cabs waiting. Down on 12th avenue it was a mass of hundreds trying to get cabs in very long ques. We were at the airport by 9am. a couple of people were sneaking on the cargo elevator to catch a cab up there and the porters didn't seem to mind, but I would get a porter just for the customs line, it was the best $20 I spent the whole trip.

LGA is the easiest airport to fly in/out from the cruise port. It is a flat rate fare, if you let the driver decide his best route for that day it will only differ by bridge or tunnel charges. My experience with disembarkation in Sept was interesting. We had priority so got off right behind the walk offs, who started about 7:45am. When we got to the baggage claim we found people of all bag tag colors already searching the color sections, people claiming walk off status were picking up bags everywhere. We grabbed a porter because we knew he would bypass the customs line which already had hundreds of people in them. He took us to the front of his line and we were through customs in 3 minutes, then took us up the cargo elevator to the embarkation deck where the porters had cabs waiting. Down on 12th avenue it was a mass of hundreds trying to get cabs in very long ques. We were at the airport by 9am. a couple of people were sneaking on the cargo elevator to catch a cab up there and the porters didn't seem to mind, but I would get a porter just for the customs line, it was the best $20 I spent the whole trip.

It is not a flat rate taxi fare from the port to LGA. The fare is metered. Only taxi rides from Manhattan to JFK are flat rate...$52 currently.

If a taxi driver charged you a flat fare to LGA he probably ripped you off by charging more than a metered fare would ordinarily be.

Here are the official taxi fare rules: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Edited by njhorseman

Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly as to it being a flat rate there then. Was it not a set rate from LGA to Manhattan? I remember researching the cost and what I was charged was appropriate, about $40 plus tip. Return might have been slightly more.