Explorer OTS on TV

Rosee

You ppl need to realise that this is TV, and a lot of what you see on TV is rubbish. Obviously they are not going to show you people waiting in line, and obviously that girl getting picked for the show was all staged. If people can't work that out then there really is something wrong! Same when you watch shows like "worst cruise holidays" or "vacations from hell". It's called editing! They will only show you what they want you to see!

New Caeldonia looks nothing like the few beauty shots they showed. Of course they are not going to show u the rude people, or the homeless. Or the container terminal when u dock. No one wants to see that!

A lot of that footage would be from old shows, such as when they showed the promenade from VoTS. Just filler! But it makes for easy watching, so people usually don't care!

I don't think any of that would ever make it to see the light of day even if they filmed it. The show was always going to be an infomercial for the ship.

I felt this show was more of an 'infomercial' that the other shows on this programme. I have seen some (Oasis of the Seas comes to mind) that were genuinely informative.

I felt this show was more of an 'infomercial' that the other shows on this programme. I have seen some (Oasis of the Seas comes to mind) that were genuinely informative.

Yes, I agree. The biggest difference is the stories about the ship, the other shows dramatize something like a late departure, lack of a swordfish on the menu, an engine clean out or some such situation but it does give facts about the ship and highlight various areas without the infomercial feel like this one did.

As were the shots from the deck party at the end of the show and the overhead shots (from the helicopter or drone). They had digitally removed the name of the ship (not sure if anyone else noticed that).

No, I didn't notice that but I could tell that they had made the ship look 5 foot longer.:p

It made us both laugh out loud it was such a constructed croc.

We loved our Xmas New Year cruise but let's be honest it was nothing like they showed. The person they showed making the coffee never smiled once and it appears like you just get that coffee as an inclusion.

The person they showed/interviewed in the pool bar was always grumpy and barking orders at the very sad unhappy bar staff around the pool.

I think some people interviewed got a very cheap cruise or some really good perks or anything apart from fantastic comments was edited out.

The worst part was that they actually played so many advertisements within the Royal Caribbean advertisement.

Great for a laugh but so many shots internally and externally such as fly buys where not even if explorer.

Explorer was our first cruise and we loved it and will be cruising again and have already booked another cruise albeit on another cruise-line. But REALLY this was nothing but one sided advertising for Royal. We wont even start on the main dinning room and Xmas dinner disaster.

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]🛳🛳🛳🛳[emoji572]️[emoji572]️[emoji572]️

SoSoSoSooooo channel nine nonsense, thank god for Netflix

We loved our Xmas New Year cruise but let's be honest it was nothing like they showed. The person they showed making the coffee never smiled once and it appears like you just get that coffee as an inclusion.

The person they showed/interviewed in the pool bar was always grumpy and barking orders at the very sad unhappy bar staff around the pool.

I think some people interviewed got a very cheap cruise or some really good perks or anything apart from fantastic comments was edited out.

The worst part was that they actually played so many advertisements within the Royal Caribbean advertisement.

Great for a laugh but so many shots internally and externally such as fly buys where not even if explorer.

Explorer was our first cruise and we loved it and will be cruising again and have already booked another cruise albeit on another cruise-line. But REALLY this was nothing but one sided advertising for Royal. We wont even start on the main dinning room and Xmas dinner disaster.

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji572]️[emoji572]️[emoji572]️

SoSoSoSooooo channel nine nonsense, thank god for Netflix

Interesting comments. After all, you have been there. :)

I wonder if the passengers who were featured extensively had some connection to the interviewer or producer etc. etc. Even if they didn't get a cheap cruise this time, they could have a sizeable discount on a future cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Originally I thought they were meant to be related. However, they subtly changed the name (from "Mighty cruise ships" to "Megaship") as well as being on a different network, so it was more a case of copycatting then actually being related in purpose or production crews.

Many look to this to learn something or get some more information so the deception they employed is the issue. And it's also pretty sad that they didn't feel that their product stood for itself - that they needed to misrepresent to get more sales.

We were doing the same, making fun of the reality they didn't show, and all the special treatment being given in each scene.

Unfortunately, as can be seen on other sites, many who haven't sailed before (or much/on that ship) watched it to learn something so it's them that are being misled. It's something official from RCL so they think they can trust it.

And then you see the downside afterwards when people come back from cruises unhappy because they paid a lot of money, but found it took days to get things done, had mistakes made, a lack of personal attention or just didn't get what they expected. RCL's built some expectations here, and now it's the customers that will get disappointed... and then get called whingers because it doesn't deliver the expectations that RCL set.

We were doing the same, making fun of the reality they didn't show, and all the special treatment being given in each scene.

Unfortunately, as can be seen on other sites, many who haven't sailed before (or much/on that ship) watched it to learn something so it's them that are being misled. It's something official from RCL so they think they can trust it.

And then you see the downside afterwards when people come back from cruises unhappy because they paid a lot of money, but found it took days to get things done, had mistakes made, a lack of personal attention or just didn't get what they expected. RCL's built some expectations here, and now it's the customers that will get disappointed... and then get called whingers because it doesn't deliver the expectations that RCL set.

Hi that's so true we did have very high expectations as Royal builds that and charges a high price for that, but can't quite deliver. Is the premium worth it that you have to pay, we don't think so, we will let you know how we feel after a cruise on another line.

As we said it was not all bad actually it was really a great experience but realistically there are issues with unhappy staff on Royal and it really was obvious on Explorer at Christmas. Except I need to say Venessa our room attendant was fantastic and we let her know it.

It's great that Royal promote themselves but we are lucky we can come to sites like cruise Critic to help filter out some of the BS.

Originally I thought they were meant to be related. However, they subtly changed the name (from "Mighty cruise ships" to "Megaship") as well as being on a different network, so it was more a case of copycatting then actually being related in purpose or production crews.

Many look to this to learn something or get some more information so the deception they employed is the issue. And it's also pretty sad that they didn't feel that their product stood for itself - that they needed to misrepresent to get more sales.

OK. I missed the difference in the name of the show. I was a bit surprised that the show the other night was on 9 when I seemed to recall that the previous shows were on 7. You have explained why. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I feel that by putting on a show that will result in people having unrealistically high expectations, Royal is setting themselves up for problems. After seeing the Flow Rider segment, that is what I would expect. Although I am not doubting the earlier post saying what really happens.

I thought the ship looked great, but the unashamed advertising aspect of the show was just too much.

Mark and Allan,

Which cruise line are you planning to go on next? Have you a particular cruise in mind?

Hi we have booked with Princess, Golden Princess but have a lot less expectations after our first cruise. We have a real suite with perks at the same price as a junior suite on Explorer same amount of nights on New Years cruise to New Zealand. I'm sure that it will have its issues like every other line but it does not seem to be promoted to give unrealistic expectations, with all the gimmicks. The gimmicks in reality have long cues and only a half hour to ice skate for example. Give me a few good bars with happier staff, some good to average entertainment, good food and a decent kids club and we are a happy.

I am not so sure they got the cruise for free, I think they just got all the perks, activities, restaurants and such complimentary.

True. There was a lot of personal attention shown. Reckon the older woman got the handbag for free?

Edited by Pushka

I am not so sure they got the cruise for free, I think they just got all the perks, activities, restaurants and such complimentary.

I agree with Mic. Most likely, it would have been all the perks for free. After all, they couldn't photograph them in a speciality restaurant unless they were actually there. The wine would have been complimentary. And I think it is likely there is the promise of a reasonable discount on a future cruise. :)

True. There was a lot of personal attention shown. Reckon the older woman got the handbag for free?

No, it was just for the show.

Had a laugh this morning when a friend said to me, 'They called the couple very experienced cruisers with 15 cruises in twenty two years, you guys should have been there with all your cruises'.

I imagine quite a few of us here would blow that away.

I noticed both had complimentary RCL bags. :D

That said, I agree with you that I think they would have gotten the cruise free. They're actors on a show that is for significant profit - you don't just get a free drinks, excursions and VIP treatment for that expectation.

'They called the couple very experienced cruisers with 15 cruises in twenty two years, you guys should have been there with all your cruises'.

I imagine quite a few of us here would blow that away.

Yeah, I was expecting a little more experience when they threw that line in also!