Explorer OTS on TV

Rosee

A preview from The Age this morning.

For those who do not know his work, the writer produces some of the funniest reviews of reality shows, etc. always read with funny bone engaged. He may or may not have seen the show.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/whats-on-tv-thursday-australias-mega-cruise-ship-20160124-gmcukf.html

LOl,

'the Explorer of the Seas is 311 metres long. To put that into context, imagine something that is 300 metres long. The Explorer of the Seas is 11 metres longer than that'.

Classic.:D

Graham Seymour is the cruise director. We had him on the rhapsody. One CD I didn't find to be a w@nker.
Graham is fantastic! We had him (and Captain Rick Sullivan) on Rhapsody and, most recently, Explorer. They work well together.

Agree with the supportive Graham Seymour comments! He was the CD on my last two cruises (1x Voyager and 1x Rhapsody) and real great both times.

He's not one to disappear out the back door as he has sometimes stayed back to say hi at the after a show at the theatre and even personally hosted one of the Cruise Critic meet & mingles (the first I ever attended!) rather than leaving it up to one of his staff.

If I had to compare these two occasions, I'd say it seems like Graham feels a little more 'at home' on the larger ships, so it is great see him on the Explorer now. :)

Edited by marquisite

Having been on that cruise, it was unsurprising but disappointing all the things they left out. It gave a very misleading impression... evidently the families chosen had VIP privileges that were not the everyday experience. And also got one of the first tenders to Isle of Pines since the swimming area was so deserted. While those onboard waited up to 5 hours for the tender ticket assigned. It didn't show any of the queues, any of the crowds, any of the failures or debacles - including Graham's wrong instructions for the tenders.

It was very misleading; as though newbies get personal attention and guidance on Waverider, when you just join the queue, wait your turn and that's it, even if you ask for guidance. And do it in pairs, not with a lot of space as they were given. Wherever they went in this show, there were no queues and were often the only ones there - very unrealistic. It was ironic when one family pointed out how much of an experience it was to be put into the ice skate show - when that selection was only so they could be recorded that way.

If they had done it factually that would be one thing - but to misrepresent things like that is just poor. Sell the dream...

Graham Seymour is the cruise director. We had him on the rhapsody. One CD I didn't find to be a w@nker.

My attitude on him soured after he told people to only get their tender tickets "15 minutes before you are ready to depart otherwise you will lose your place and go to the back of the queue."

And then when you do as he instructs you find that there is actually a 3 hour wait, so wasted all that time which didn't need to be.

Comedy is one thing, but his main job is to give the right information to guests about their activities (or any other issue) and be able to be trusted. In that he failed badly.

My attitude on him soured after he told people to only get their tender tickets "15 minutes before you are ready to depart otherwise you will lose your place and go to the back of the queue."

And then when you do as he instructs you find that there is actually a 3 hour wait, so wasted all that time which didn't need to be.

Comedy is one thing, but his main job is to give the right information to guests about their activities (or any other issue) and be able to be trusted. In that he failed badly.

I was on Radiance last Dec and that was the same instruction given by the CD ( who was wonderful btw). We had no problem with tendering, got off the ship in under half and hour. I think its just standard instructions given by all CD on all cruises? Maybe its because its a bigger ship? Or maybe lots of ppl jump queue?

Anyway, will find out in 3.5 weeks time. Can't wait.

The show made the CD on EOTS looks really serious Nd not much fun. Glad to hear hes not like that in real life.

It was very misleading; as though newbies get personal attention and guidance on Waverider, when you just join the queue, wait your turn and that's it, even if you ask for guidance. And do it in pairs, not with a lot of space as they were given. Wherever they went in this show, there were no queues and were often the only ones there - very unrealistic. It was ironic when one family pointed out how much of an experience it was to be put into the ice skate show - when that selection was only so they could be recorded that way.

You can pay to have one on one lessons on the Flowrider. But even if you don't pay for private lessons and just join the queue, the instructors were very hands on in showing you what to do (at least they were last week when I was onboard and had a go).

I was on Radiance last Dec and that was the same instruction given by the CD ( who was wonderful btw). We had no problem with tendering, got off the ship in under half and hour. I think its just standard instructions given by all CD on all cruises? Maybe its because its a bigger ship? Or maybe lots of ppl jump queue?

He was saying that after tender operations had been underway for an hour or so. Given it was their first tender operations in that port, it should have been something he was checking into and monitoring - but given the shambles (which even the captain modestly acknowledged later) and what was observed, he didn't seem to be doing that. Which is really what he's there to do - not just read a script obliviously.

The show made the CD on EOTS looks really serious Nd not much fun. Glad to hear hes not like that in real life.

He was funny i.e. good with wisecracks, but I didn't find him as warm or engaging as others. His after show speeches were very short, and he gave incorrect information a couple of times in those as well!

You can pay to have one on one lessons on the Flowrider. But even if you don't pay for private lessons and just join the queue, the instructors were very hands on in showing you what to do (at least they were last week when I was onboard and had a go).

Yes, you can pay, but that wasn't the case in what they were showing as it was still public times.

I went on this on the cruise shown, asked and there was no hands on. It was hands off saying just hold this, jump, off you go - 5 seconds. It was nothing like what they showed on tv. - let alone where they even had another instructor tandem with Natalie!

And watching everyone else have their turns they all had the same experience... the instructors just watched and were mostly passive, just telling people off if they e.g. walked up the side. There weren't any tips, help, assistance or suggestions given, let alone the way it was portrayed on the show.

I'm with you The_Big_M, we were on that cruise as well and they were obviously very selective about when and what they filmed. The Promenade shots must have been filmed on port days or early mornings when the crowds weren't around. It was very misleading but I guess it was a paid advertisement for RCI and not a factual documentary.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by Layn33

I dont know how they got the footage at Sacred Rock because it looked like they had the place to themselves.

I wouldnt mind betting they either went across very early themselves or later in the afternoon when all regular guests had left for the last tenders.

Having been on that cruise, it was unsurprising but disappointing all the things they left out. It gave a very misleading impression... evidently the families chosen had VIP privileges that were not the everyday experience. And also got one of the first tenders to Isle of Pines since the swimming area was so deserted. While those onboard waited up to 5 hours for the tender ticket assigned. It didn't show any of the queues, any of the crowds, any of the failures or debacles - including Graham's wrong instructions for the tenders.

If they had done it factually that would be one thing - but to misrepresent things like that is just poor. Sell the dream...

I don't think any of that would ever make it to see the light of day even if they filmed it. The show was always going to be an infomercial for the ship.

I'm with you The_Big_M, we were on that cruise as well and they were obviously very selective about when and what they filmed. The Promenade shots must have been filmed on port days or early mornings when the crowds weren't around. It was very misleading but I guess it was a paid advertisement for RCI and not a factual documentary.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

This show actually reminded me of all the reasons I used to think cruising wasn't something I'd enjoy. It was all so obviously fake and contrived that I felt like throwing up.