the great dilemma -- FLL to POM transportation

fly gal

And here we go again with another transportation thread. :)

I've looked and found lots of viewpoints, but I'm still here in bewilderment on what to do. :confused:

Coming in morning of our cruise in March. (Yes, I know, I'm a gambler but with work schedules it's what we had to do.) We are going during Spring Break time frame so it's guaranteed to be busy. FYI, 3 of us, two adults one child.

I'll admit it. I've never been a fan of shared rides. I hate waiting/circling and stopping off where I'm not going. Esp since I am taking the risk coming in morning of, my time is limited and patience isn't my virtue.

Given that ride share shuttles are my last option, I'm left with private town car, taxi, or uber.

Private car: looked it up. Wowsa! QLS and GoAirport shuttle were pricier than taxi. The only company I found that was somewhat reasonable was Larry's Limo. Tried searching on here for reviews, but I could only find ancient posts. Anyone use them recently? Or do you have another private ride company that isn't more than $80 one way?

Taxi: they're easy. Right there. But can be expensive, esp if we hit traffic.

Uber or Lyft: heard mixed bag, but that was before it was worked out between them and Broward County. I think we could take UberX with just the 3 of us and our bags (2 large, 2 small) but I'd love to hear from cruisers who have used this service to and from FLL/POM. Never used Uber but I understand how it works. The other thing is surge pricing -- I'm thinking it could likely happen around the spring break time frame.

Ok, fellow cruisers. Help me decide! Thanks.

It is not a great dilemma...it is discussed here every day. A standard taxi is $80-85, each way, before tip.

I have never heard anyone ever say SAS or QLS or the other commonly mentioned shuttle companies is more than $20pp, each way, so not more expensive than a taxi. Not sure where you are seeing different. For example, this thread just a couple down the board, says Jiffy Jeff is $15pp. So much cheaper than taxi.

I have no specific knowledge of Uber, other than it should be cheaper than a standard taxi. However,there are several levels of Uber service, so not all might be cheaper than a standard taxi.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I used Larry's a couple of years ago and was very happy - I would book again if needed. I have also used the private car service between FLL and a Miami hotel from Go Airport and was pleased. Both are suggested here every day.

The advantage of these over a cab is a fixed fare - let the driver figure out traffic and the best route. With a cab you are paying the metered fare, which as mentioned above should be about $80+

Coming in the day of your cruise it should not take long to fill a shared shuttle - compare $45+tip for the three of you with the cab or limo fare and you are almost half-price.

There have been other posts of cruisers using Uber between POM and FLL -- usually for about $40 Surge pricing will eat up your savings and you may need to wait longer for a ride.

In your shoes I would use Larry's from FLL to POM (you do not have time to waste) and a shared shuttle back to FLL post cruise - unless you also booked a return flight before noon. :(

It is not a great dilemma...it is discussed here every day. A standard taxi is $80-85, each way, before tip.

I have never heard anyone ever say SAS or QLS or the other commonly mentioned shuttle companies is more than $20pp, each way, so not more expensive than a taxi. Not sure where you are seeing different. For example, this thread just a couple down the board, says Jiffy Jeff is $15pp. So much cheaper than taxi.

I have no specific knowledge of Uber, other than it should be cheaper than a standard taxi. However,there are several levels of Uber service, so not all might be cheaper than a standard taxi.

I'm sorry you took offense to my post, as it is a dilemma for me. Yes I know it's discussed here everyday and yet I am still at a loss on what to do. No need to be mean.

I was talking QLS and GoShuttle PRIVATE transportation. I clearly stated that shared rides was my final option.

I've looked into Uber, I can do UberX since we aren't a large group. My concern was a price surge that could easily eliminate any potential savings.

I used Larry's a couple of years ago and was very happy - I would book again if needed. I have also used the private car service between FLL and a Miami hotel from Go Airport and was pleased. Both are suggested here every day.

The advantage of these over a cab is a fixed fare - let the driver figure out traffic and the best route. With a cab you are paying the metered fare, which as mentioned above should be about $80+

Coming in the day of your cruise it should not take long to fill a shared shuttle - compare $45+tip for the three of you with the cab or limo fare and you are almost half-price.

There have been other posts of cruisers using Uber between POM and FLL -- usually for about $40 Surge pricing will eat up your savings and you may need to wait longer for a ride.

In your shoes I would use Larry's from FLL to POM (you do not have time to waste) and a shared shuttle back to FLL post cruise - unless you also booked a return flight before noon. :(

Thanks, JohninDC. I just wish I had more recent reviews of Larry's Limo. I tried looking them up through the BBB and since they don't have a current phone number they have no information on the company.

My flight home is 12:30pm. I know, another close one. :eek: May be worth the extra cost on way home for peace of mind.

I am still debating how to get from FLL to Miami hotel ( Best Western Premier). I am arriving day before cruise. Taxi is out. Just looking for best deal. I thought Uber prices were set? On return I booked QLS POM to FLL. $13 p/p plus gratuity

Last cruise we did SAS from our FLL area hotel to POM, and then took the Everglades excursion with FLL drop-off on the return. This time we're booking one-day car rentals each time (assuming all goes well on debarkation day). It worked out much cheaper for us to use a hotel that's near the Dolphin Mall for our overnight, even with the car rental added on. Going home, we have a 4pm flight out of FLL. I haven't booked the car rental yet, in case there is a delay in getting off the ship that would make going to straight to the airport a better plan. For our Jan 29 arrival to FLL we booked through Budget with drop off their POM location, which includes a free shuttle to the port.

Thanks, JohninDC. I just wish I had more recent reviews of Larry's Limo. I tried looking them up through the BBB and since they don't have a current phone number they have no information on the company.

My flight home is 12:30pm. I know, another close one. :eek: May be worth the extra cost on way home for peace of mind.

Larry's is suggested on this board every week and there have been a few positive feedback reports in the past few months; I would not hesitate to use them or similar service from Go Airport.

1230 is actually not bad - you need to be at FLL by 11:00 (earlier is better; TSA at FLL on a busy day is a mess :(). With the drive from POM to FLL taking about an hour as long as you are loaded into a shuttle and rolling before 10:00 you should be fine. The reality is that the ship will push you off before 9:00 and you will likely be at the airport with time to spare -- which is much better than running late! ;)

Larry's is suggested on this board every week and there have been a few positive feedback reports in the past few months; I would not hesitate to use them or similar service from Go Airport.

1230 is actually not bad - you need to be at FLL by 11:00 (earlier is better; TSA at FLL on a busy day is a mess :(). With the drive from POM to FLL taking about an hour as long as you are loaded into a shuttle and rolling before 10:00 you should be fine. The reality is that the ship will push you off before 9:00 and you will likely be at the airport with time to spare -- which is much better than running late! ;)

I tried searching Larry's Limo but the earliest posts I could find were from 2014. Definitely sounds like they are mentioned deeper in posts but I came up empty with my searching. :o Thanks for filling me in!

We plan to get off early, thinking around 8am. Should give us plenty of time. Could due a shuttle or uber to save money. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Edited by fly gal

Larry's Limos provide great service. My family and I used them for transportation from my condo in Hallandale Beach to Port Everglades on Sunday, January 3rd,2016 for my recent seven day sailing on Holland America's Eurodam. The driver Chris picked us up at 10:30AM for our short ride to Port Everglades. Due to the fact that there were eight ships in port and the security checkpoint was extremely crowded we weren't dropped off at the terminal until 11:15AM. The driver was extremely knowledgeable and I would recommend the company to everyone. On Sunday, January 10th,2016 the same driver picked us up for our ride back to Hallandale Beach. He was scheduled to arrival at 9:30AM and called my wife fifteen minutes prior to his scheduled arrival. We explained that due to a shortage of Customs officers we would be at least an hour behind schedule. There were only three officers at the pier responsible to process 2150 returning passengers. We finally cleared customs at 10:30AM and he arrived to pick us up at 11:00AM. Chris explained that the security checkpoint was again extremely crowded and the ride back was only fifteen minutes. He received an extra tip for both segments of our trip. He also informed me if we reserved with Larry's Limo to ask especially for him if possible. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.