Medical travel insurance

Thanks to Huddersfield tourist, Okavango and blossom52 and Vitalsign for your replies - apologies for delay in my reply due to hospital visits after having 2 stents fitted. Now very much 'up and running' and on road to recovery which begs next question re travel insurance - any best advice and tips on getting appropriate cover at realistic premium?

I will of course tell my existing insurer ( annual multi trip) of my ' pre- existing' condition, but would appreciate information of anyone who has had experienced medical issue after previous A1 health.

Thank you

Hi Jenneyb1963

I can only offer our experience and to say that we are now covered on the free insurance with our bank and that's Nationwide up to the age of 75 when you have to pay an extra premium, I have some small problems which require medication but have been accepted by the insurers and my better half had some major problems but because she no longer has treatment and has an annual check she has also been accepted.

The charges are £10 per month, you also get lots of other freebs, just check it out after all we get annual world wide cover for both of us for £120;), I was able to confirm that we would be accepted before committing.

:)

I also have what's classed as free travel insurance with Nationwide.Medical wise have relatvely small problems but they wanted me to pay near £100 to cover these.I declined so took another policy out with another company at almost half that price

A problem with some insurance companies are they link one ailment with another eg someone who takes a cholesterol tablet automatically has high blood pressure which is not the case

We are aged 63 and my husband has multiple health problems and I also had surgery for cancer last summer but we still managed to get a reasonable price for annual travel insurance from World First insurance.

Reference the upper age limit cover - Barclays have a current account with a monthly fee of £13.50 which covers up to age 80.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/TravelPlusPack/TravelPlusPack/P1242609324028

Includes six airport lounge passes per calendar year I think, however don't quote me on that aspect.

We don't have it, and this is not a recommendation, just a heads up to anybody who might be interested.

One thing I did have to clarify with our insurers - when it says cover until age 65 (for example) that means until and including the day before you reach your 66th birthday, doesn't end when you make 65.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
punctuation

Thanks WCM good info, the only thing I wonder is how it bridges between when you book the holiday and when you take it:confused: its something I will, hopefully, have to check out in a couple of years:rolleyes:

You are obliged to inform your insurance company of any changes in medical conditions that have arisen after the date on which you took out the policy.

Non disclosure will render your policy null and void - including cover for pre-existing conditions previously disclosed.

Insurance companies are generally very good with advice and guidance etc. - only a 'phone call away.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

We have a friend who has recently overcome cancer, he was quoted astronomical prices more than the cost of the cruise, the advisor from the insurance company suggested that it was highly unlikely that he would require any emergency medical help relevant to his illness so he got it taken off the policy and the price dropped dramatically.

We have a friend who has recently overcome cancer, he was quoted astronomical prices more than the cost of the cruise, the advisor from the insurance company suggested that it was highly unlikely that he would require any emergency medical help relevant to his illness so he got it taken off the policy and the price dropped dramatically.

Somebody can correct me if wrong - but if your friend takes ill (God forbid) on holiday then the non disclosure of his cancer, regardless of the treatment being a success, is liable to render the policy null and void ?

The new illness may be totally unrelated.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Somebody can correct me if wrong - but if your friend takes ill (God forbid) on holiday then the non disclosure of his cancer, regardless of the treatment being a success, is liable to render the policy null and void ?

The new illness may be totally unrelated.

It was disclosed but not covered on the trip

I have had to declare pre-existing conditions (hip replacements and spinal surgery all associated with osteoarthritis) and have managed to get annual policy with Staysure at a reasonable premium (I am over 70 so this factor has been taken into account). One thing some people overlook is the declaration needed regarding family members (whether travelling with you or not) who have a condition which could force you to cancel your holiday if you have not declared knowledge of this!

Some companies are now imposing additional premiums for cruise holidays so be sure to mention this type of holiday.

It is just a matter of really shopping around but good luck with your searches.

Suzanne