Best Excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Scagway

cruising_Bif

We have done a lot of great excursions -- so this is a hard choice.

Juneau -- whale watching -- we have done through the ship and through Orka Enterprises.

Skayway -- White Pass Train -- through the ship.

Ketchikan -- Totem Bight, Saxman Village -- through the ships. Walked to Creek Street on our own.

I've been perusing the Alaska boards but would love opinions from HAL cruisers. What were your favorite excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Scagway? Please include the name of the business if applicable.

When we were on Volendam, we had the ability to take an excursion into Tracy Arm (off the ship like tendering). It was my most FAVORITE excursion ever.

After the excursion we went back onto the ship in Juneau, from which point we got off the ship & were able to take a quick trip to Mendenhall glacier using "the blue bus."

Our next AK is on Amsterdam, & the whole ship will traverse Tracy Arm.

I've been perusing the Alaska boards but would love opinions from HAL cruisers. What were your favorite excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Scagway? Please include the name of the business if applicable.

Are you active at all? One of my favorite Alaskan excursions was in Skagway. It was the White Pass railroad up, and bike ride down. It crosses the border, so you get to clear US Customs on your bike.

In Ketchikan, I really enjoyed the Aleutian Ballad Bering Sea crab tour.

When we were on Volendam, we had the ability to take an excursion into Tracy Arm (off the ship like tendering). It was my most FAVORITE excursion ever.

After the excursion we went back onto the ship in Juneau, from which point we got off the ship & were able to take a quick trip to Mendenhall glacier using "the blue bus."

Our next AK is on Amsterdam, & the whole ship will traverse Tracy Arm.

Keep in mind it rains in AK...a lot! Ketchikan is in the middle of a rain forest. So...instead of doing the Misty Fjord flights that folks love, we chose (wisely so) to take the boat trip there...'misty' was misty that day! But, the boats went fine and we saw a lot of lovely, wet, scenery below the clouds. Another time we were there for the warmest day on record...or something like that. Mid-80's and sun.

Same for Skagway...one time took the pre-arranged White Pass RR and saw nothing but clouds and rain. Smarter the next time and waited until we got there...happened to be a brilliant day so we got tix there. Lovely.

Juneau...same thing...one time pouring rain...did the bus to the glacier and Mt. Roberts tram...got a great photo of the ship through rain drops from the gondola :-) Another time, not so wet...allowed us to do the Taku Glacier Salmon Bake...highly recommend. Still was overcast, though, but the plane managed to get through.

So...always have a Plan B in mind.

It seems the White Pass train is certainly a must. Is there any preference between the morning and afternoon trains?
I like the afternoon trains... hoping for the morning fog/clouds to clear with the sun.

While you can do a round-trip train ride.... consider a combo tour. The motorcoach allows you to see both sides of the canyon.

@cruising_Bif: which ship and sailing date do you have planned? Some HAL boats offer a pre-Juneau excursion to Tracy Arm. This is a highlight for many and may interrupt your Juneau plans. This excursion is always a sellout before the cruise ship departs.

Also is Vancouver a bonus port? Hope you have extra days to embrace this bonus port that is bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

Edited by xlxo

White pass railroad.

We did the duck boat in Ketchikan, it was fun. It also was pouring rain in Ketchikan, early July. Duck boat was fun and showed us the city from inside to the port.

Whale watching was fine, but if you have seen whales elsewhere, skip it. We have been to Hawaii frequently and you get a MUCH better look there. We chased 2 whales the entire tour. Hawaii, they are everywhere.

Finally, hope your cruise includes Tracy's Arm. It was the highlight of our cruise. We got to the end, which I had no idea was unusual due to perfect conditions, and 'parked' the ship for 30 or so minutes so we could view, simply spectacular.

Edited by coldinerie