Four Days Pre-Cruise

Jeffffffs

We are looking at the NCL Sun departing Seward on 8/29 (with two kids, 9 and 11). This is our first time in Alaska, and we've just started to research...so we do not know very much yet.

Our plan is to fly to Anchorage on Thursday the 25th, giving us four days to explore. I'd love to visit Denali, but it seems like a lot of travel time, particularly for the kids. So my initial plan is as follows:

1. Arrive ANC Thursday night.

2. Explore Anchorage Friday/Friday Night.

3.Train to Seward Saturday a.m.

That would leave Saturday afternoon, Sunday and Monday for Seward. Is that too long for Seward? Should we spend another day in Anchorage? Any other places we should look into?

Many many options !! Depends on your priorities and budget. Better get going on that research! :>)

If you want to visit Denali you can break up the drive by stopping in Talkeetna only 3 hrs north of Anc. And even that drive can be broken up with stops at Eklutna spirit houses, Thunderbird Falls, Eagle River Nature Center.

But if you don't want to spend so much time travelling, spend a day in Anchorage then go to Girdwood ( 40 minutes south). Lots of sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm ... gold panning, Wildlife Conservation Center, alyeska resort tram, Potters Marsh, Portage Lake/Glacier, hike to Byron Glacier.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

In Seward ... Kenai cruise, Sealife Center, ranger hike at Exit Glacier, heli dog sledding, dog carting, busy and interesting harbor, kayak, fish.

http://www.seward.com

So many options. Have fun with your research and planning!

p.s. there's a wealth of information in past trip reports (in STICKYs above). Such as this 2014 report from mollanjake with a 9yo.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070945

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

You've got a lot of different options...

You could do Denali if that was a priority. Up to Denali on Friday. Saturday use the shuttle bus to explore the park. Sunday back to Anchorage. Monday to Seward.

If it was my trip.... I'd use Friday to go north to the Matanuska Glacier and do a glacier hike. You could include Hatchers Pass and the reindeer farm in the Butte.

Saturday I'd head south from Anchorage to the Portage/Whittier/Girdwood area to explore. Then Sunday you could do the train to Seward.

We are looking at the NCL Sun departing Seward on 8/29 (with two kids, 9 and 11). This is our first time in Alaska, and we've just started to research...so we do not know very much yet.

Our plan is to fly to Anchorage on Thursday the 25th, giving us four days to explore. I'd love to visit Denali, but it seems like a lot of travel time, particularly for the kids. So my initial plan is as follows:

1. Arrive ANC Thursday night.

2. Explore Anchorage Friday/Friday Night.

3.Train to Seward Saturday a.m.

That would leave Saturday afternoon, Sunday and Monday for Seward. Is that too long for Seward? Should we spend another day in Anchorage? Any other places we should look into?

On Friday rent a car drive to Portage Glacier, and the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Take your time on the way back. Great wildlife at the conservation center. At Portage glacier be sure and take the one hour boat cruise that gets close to the glacier.

Saturday take the train to Seward. Visit the Sea Life Center. The kids will love both.

Sunday do an all day Kenai Fjords tour.

Monday do a half day morning fishing trip. Catch lots of salmon toe send home. You'll be back by 1:00 p.m. Either eat lunch in Seward or just head on over to the ship. You will be ahead of 90% of the passengers if you board by 3:00.

Still more research to do...but I feel like I am narrowing it down:

1. Arrive ANC (12+ hour flight/connections, 5 hour time difference, two kids...rough day)...car service to Alyeska (Girdwood)...pass out. I thought about a night in ANC, but Alyeska looks like it is nicer, and I like the idea of not having to check in and out too much.

2. Two or three nights in Girdwood. Portage Glacier, gold mines, tram, etc.

3. Coastal Classic (Goldstar) Girdwood to Seward. [i like that it's 1 hour later, but is it a waste to miss the first hour of the ride? Price is the same from ANC or Girdwood. Downgrade to Adventure class?]

4. One or two nights in Seward (leaning towards two)[Windsong Lodge?]. Dog sled tour, Exit Glacier, wildlife center, Kenai cruise.

What do you think...anything in those areas I should consider? Can we get by without a car in Girdwood or Seward, or should I consider renting one in either or both?

Still more research to do...but I feel like I am narrowing it down:

1. Arrive ANC (12+ hour flight/connections, 5 hour time difference, two kids...rough day)...car service to Alyeska (Girdwood)...pass out. I thought about a night in ANC, but Alyeska looks like it is nicer, and I like the idea of not having to check in and out too much.

2. Two or three nights in Girdwood. Portage Glacier, gold mines, tram, etc.

3. Coastal Classic (Goldstar) Girdwood to Seward. [i like that it's 1 hour later, but is it a waste to miss the first hour of the ride? Price is the same from ANC or Girdwood. Downgrade to Adventure class?]

4. One or two nights in Seward (leaning towards two)[Windsong Lodge?]. Dog sled tour, Exit Glacier, wildlife center, Kenai cruise.

What do you think...anything in those areas I should consider? Can we get by without a car in Girdwood or Seward, or should I consider renting one in either or both?

I suggest you back up. I find it a far better plan, to determine WHAT you are going to see and do, what activities are of the most interest, THEN that will determine the number of days and WHERE to be. Not the other way around.

With 4 people- I wouldn't bother with any "car service", consider a one way Anchorage/Seward rental car. YES costly, but divided by 4 people, and the freedom and opportunity it is going to give you IS the value, of your time.

Determine- Anchorage, Anchorage area- Matsu (Matansuka, Independence Mine, Hatcher Pass, Musk Ox Farm, Eklutna Spirit Houses, Knik Glacier etc etc), Whittier, Portage, Girdwood, Cooper Landing, Seward.

Take your time and LOOK at all these areas, keep narrowing down your list, involve everyone in the choices. THEN set up your lodging.

Concentrating on the area south of Anchorage, plus Seward sound like a fun family trip!

You definitely need a car to explore along the Turnagain Arm and enjoy the activities you listed. If the train is a priority you have couple of options for the car rental:

1. pick up a car at the airport, drive 45 minutes to Alyeska, return the car after a few days, overnight in Anchorage, and catch the train from downtown.

2. spend 1st nite at an airport hotel with shuttle, then pick up the rental car next morning for your time in Girdwood.

Seward is very small, about 1 1/2 miles from harbor to downtown, IF you stay downtown or near the harbor you don't need a car; a cab will be about $6 to get you from one end of town to the other. Kids might enjoy the Holiday Inn at the harbor since it has a pool. Might be a good idea to pick up a daily rental for the day you go to Seaveys kennel and visit Exit Glacier.