Live from Splendour of the Seas - Dubai

Am I correct in thinking that you can hire a cover up at the mosques? I can't stand the thought of walking around with long trousers all day and don't posses a head scarf :). Thanks for the tip for diamond Internet. Did you have to do anything special to get that or did you just do it via the computer in the lounge? Are they happy enough for you to take your last drink out of the lounge. Often depends on the concierge. Thanks

Am I correct in thinking that you can hire a cover up at the mosques? I can't stand the thought of walking around with long trousers all day and don't posses a head scarf :). Thanks for the tip for diamond Internet. Did you have to do anything special to get that or did you just do it via the computer in the lounge? Are they happy enough for you to take your last drink out of the lounge. Often depends on the concierge. Thanks

When you try to access a website it should automatically come up with the page to create an account. It will automatically show the package price and show what it is with your diamond discount (which is $40pp). Our tip is to use one persons allowance against the 24 hrs continuous access package, so this will then be free, and then use the other persons discount off the unlimited package. This cost goes down pro rata every day by $20. There is free wifi in Dubai and Abu Dhabi cruise terminal too, and of course in many restaurants and hotels.

Yes they have abayas to lend you at mosques.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Hi,

Weather still good, we did the Mystical Muscat tour and enjoyed it, I think that generally Muscat is expensive and hence the prices.

The shuttle takes you to the port gate and from there you can walk into the harbour area, around 15 minutes or take a taxi, expensive we were told.

The drinks card is available today, sea day, and priced as above

On all our most recent cruises with Celebrity we have had the basic drinks package, this covers wine, fresh juice, bottled water, cans of Coke, beer etc and is much better than the RCI one, despite having a basic wine and beer package we also ended up buying the 12 bottles of water for $ 47.70

Hope this helps

Thank you for the info.

We are sat in the terminal at Dubai, trying to check in for our flight tomorrow, the technology does not want to co operate.

Re Mosques, our tour guide in Oman checked all the ladies for suitability as they are very strict, it seems that some people are given a cover up and allowed in and others refused full stop. It seems to be down to the individual guard on the day, sorry that the response does not help but if you are keen to enter then I would advise following the dress code, especially in Oman people were dressed modestly every where.

Thanks for this thread - fantastic read.

In Kashab and Muscat is has anyone / is anyone planning their own trips or does everyone tend to go for the RCI shore excursions?

If we didn't do a planned trip in Kashab is anything worth getting off ship for - within walking distance of the port?

Same for Muscat too?

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies to my questions. Lots of helpful advice.

Can I just clarify the Diamond wifi. Sorry for being a bit dim :). So if one of us logs on and takes the free day on Friday then the other can log on and take the free package on Saturday, but gets two days as it is now just $40 anyway? That sounds good. We don't usually bother with wifi on board but our sons will be away skiing so would like to keep in touch.

In Kashab and Muscat is has anyone / is anyone planning their own trips or does everyone tend to go for the RCI shore excursions?

If we didn't do a planned trip in Kashab is anything worth getting off ship for - within walking distance of the port?

Same for Muscat too?

Thanks

We've booked the Dhow trip with Omandaytours for Khasab, and a "Day in Paradise" at the Shangri La resort for Muscat.

Same for Muscat too?

Thanks

No, nothing is within walking distance of the port in Khasab - you either take the little free shuttle to the town or to the fort. The fort is well worth a visit IMHO.

Muscat is wonderful and about a 10 minute stroll down the waterfront to the shops, restaurants and souks.

2741fbc6127585c594f83a9ccd051645.jpg

Edited by little britain

Can I just clarify the Diamond wifi. Sorry for being a bit dim :). So if one of us logs on and takes the free day on Friday then the other can log on and take the free package on Saturday, but gets two days as it is now just $40 anyway? That sounds good. We don't usually bother with wifi on board but our sons will be away skiing so would like to keep in touch.

Each of you gets $40 off a package.

The 24hr unlimited package is $40 therefore yes, one of you could do Friday and another could do Saturday......I wouldn't bother doing Saturday because of the free wifi in Abu Dhabi cruise terminal and at multiple restaurants and hotels in the city. I'd do Tuesday and Friday..!

The internet if you are both D I believe that you both get 24 hours free internet use if you log on, on Thursday morning and select one device you will have the option to combine both the $40 free usage for the remaining 4 days which will expire the day you leave I.E. on Monday.

The reason I did it was because you may find the first 3 nights / days to be busy if you at flying in and have Royal transfers and arrive before 9am you are taken to a hotel to check in and have breakfast and free wifi so you are able to check emails prior to boarding.

I logged my wife device on and combine the 2 x 24 hours and she had internet until we left on the Monday morning, as long as her device was not connected to the internet I was still able to use the other internet machines on-board I.E. the ones in the D lounge or the ones on 8 deck. This enabled use to check in for the flights and print the boarding passes.

Hope this does not seem that I am teaching you to suck eggs it's the best way that I can explain how I used the internet to suit my wife and myself we logged in after 9am on the Thursday as we know we would be disembarked before that on the Monday.

No, nothing is within walking distance of the port in Khasab - you either take the little free shuttle to the town or to the fort. The fort is well worth a visit IMHO.

Not true, leaving the terminal main gate and turning right, there is a beach less than 5 walking minutes away. It is just around the corner behind the last harbor building. All safe.

Not true, leaving the terminal main gate and turning right, there is a beach less than 5 walking minutes away. It is just around the corner behind the last harbor building. All safe.

Thanks for posting! I have not seen any one mention a beach this close to the ship before, when discussing this port. I'll know for next time!

Very much enjoying this thread.

Glad to hear that! A wonderful part of the world. To whet your appetite a bit more.....

image-M.jpg

Inside the souk in Oman

image-M.jpg

Omani mountains

IMG_6650-M.jpg

Amazing inlay on the floor of the mosque in AD.

Edited by little britain

We are now back home from the 01/02 trip and catching up with washing etc.

Little Britain has given a fantastic overview of the trip and excellent general advise that I will not repeat, but just to add a few final comments.

We have visited Khasab before and the first time we took the shuttle into town, not much to see but a very pretty local mosque that we were looking at and were invited in to see inside and then visited the fort on the way back, a gentle pleasant morning. in the afternoon we went up into the mountains in a 4X4 again,great fun.

This time we did the Dhow cruise and saw lots of Dolphins, 5 of 6 pods at different times and maybe 30 in total.

The Ships excursions seem expensive but the alternatives like Ho Ho buses and taxis are not cheap either

Food is very subjective but we gave up on the main dinning room and apart fro one meal in chops we ate in the Windjammer

Just arrived home after a lovely week on the Splendour. As we had been to Khasab before and had seen all the sights, we just opted for a stroll to the lulu supermarket next to the fort. This was an easy 20 minute stroll and passed a lovely sunny morning. I would like to add that the food was very nice and the size of this ship suits us perfectly. We did this route with Costa last year and preferred the splendour. Other advice would be to watch out for taxi touts at Muscat Cruise port as they charge 2 or 3 times the going rate. Just walk down towards town and agree a price you think is fair. A twenty minute journey should only cost around £10 or so. We knew the ship was older but was still lovely and clean and comfortable. Balcony cabin on deck 6 port side quite small but adequate for our needs. No problems at all or complaints of any kind. All in all a lovely week.

I have really enjoyed this thread as we are on this cruise at the end of the month. I have a question that one of you may be able to answer. Did any of you take your 2 bottle of wine per cabin allocation onboard with you & if so,did you encounter any problem?

I have really enjoyed this thread as we are on this cruise at the end of the month. I have a question that one of you may be able to answer. Did any of you take your 2 bottle of wine per cabin allocation onboard with you & if so,did you encounter any problem?

We did not so can't help, sorry

I've not read of any issues with taking the wine onboard on Splendour.