Mosquitoes in May?

Shaquara

I'm going on my first Alaska cruise on May. Should I be concerned about mosquitoes on my shore excursions?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Where will you be in Alaska? Certainly in Fairbanks and the interior (i.e., Denali National Park) mosquitos will be "out" in May.

The cruise leaves Vancouver and sails up the coast of Alaska. We do not intend to take any excursions to the interior.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

We've done this itinerary a few times both middle and end of May (our favorite month) no need to worry.

We never have had a problem including May and mosquitos love me. If one out of 100 people get stung it is me.

With that said, bring repellent with you just in case and only use it should you realize that there is a problem with them. But highly unlikely.

Keith

May is also my favorite month to cruise in Alaska. Mid-May is typically dryer (less rain) and the snow on the mountains is gorgeous!

Only once have I been bit by a mosquito and it was at Exit glacier hiking. I have cruised probably 10x during this time.

Mosquito repellant wipes are compact, easy to pack, and fit into a pocket. If you're concerned about mosquitoes then tuck a wipe into your backpack or jacket pocket. I've not encountered mosquitoes in May but this has been a warmer and wetter winter than normal.