NCL Star Tepanyaki booking

cellalot

I am sailing on the Star on March 20, 2016 and was able to view and book my restaurants with the exception of the Tepanyaki one. Is this something I have to do on the ship?

Thanks!

Yes, the Teppanyaki table is quite small, holding only 12 guests so you need to reserve it on the ship. And, b/c it's small I'd recommend you do soon after boarding, the reservation desk is right by Guest Service Desk.

Enjoy your cruise.

I am sailing on the Star on March 20, 2016 and was able to view and book my restaurants with the exception of the Tepanyaki one. Is this something I have to do on the ship?

Thanks!

Happened on the Dawn as well, limited seating. Check in the port area after you check in, there is usually a specialty dining reservations desk there and you can make your reservations there. If not go to the specialty dining reservations desk at Guest Services.

If you happen to be in a suite, you can let the pre-Concierge know the reservations you want and they will let your Butler know, so he/she can make them for you.

Happened on the Dawn as well, limited seating. Check in the port area after you check in, there is usually a specialty dining reservations desk there and you can make your reservations there. If not go to the specialty dining reservations desk at Guest Services.

If you happen to be in a suite, you can let the pre-Concierge know the reservations you want and they will let your Butler know, so he/she can make them for you.

We tried booking restaurants in the check in area and were sent away being told this was only for suite guests!

That is odd as suite guests have the concierge that will make sure guests are booked for what they want.

We tried booking restaurants in the check in area and were sent away being told this was only for suite guests!

That is odd as suite guests have the concierge that will make sure guests are booked for what they want.

That really doesn't seem very fair, especially since the suite guests do have the Concierge.

Correct....because of the very limited seating (12 diners X 4 seatings = 48 spots/night) they only offer pre-cruise reservations to suite guests. On the bright side, Teppanyaki has not been a popular venue so it will very likely be available if you book as soon as you board. Best time to find it available for most of the specialty is sail away day. Most folks eschew the specialty restaurants first night out. Sometimes they will even offer them at a discount. Good luck and have a great cruise.

There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not.

- Spoken by Ratty to Mole in Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (1859-1932).

We were in a suite on the Star and still could not make reservations prior to embarkation for Teppanyaki.

My plan was to go to the dining reservation desk when we boarded.

Once on the ship I saw a house phone, decided to pick it up and call dining reservations. It worked, I got my reservation for 5 people [emoji3]

I wasn't fussy with a day, just preferred an early seating.

We were in one of the GV Suites 1/17- 1/24 and requested Teppanyaki reservations with the pre-concierge. When we checked in, I checked with the concierge; the request had not been passed to him. He was able to book it for us then.

None of the pre-concierge requests made it to the ship. (alcohol selection, special pillow, etc). I don't know why they bother to send the selection letter. It creates unrealistic expectations. It's nice to know what perks are available, but there's no point in asking you to select things in advance if they don't follow through.

On our last cruise we booked this joint twice and after the first time we told the concierge to "un-book" us. The floor show was typical and the food disappointing. I realize some will question and chastise me for telling it like it was. You will get much better at your local noodle parlor. This destination was about as bad as the "stale snail" frog venue. Our best meals have been in the Italian restaurants, better than cagneys. First get the waiter over and slip him or her a couple of 20's and tell them to just bring some food. We have gotten our best meals (per the waiter and probably a restaurant manager if not owner, King Caeser). He's been our waiter but I'd really like to break bread with the man. He's a consummate hospitality person. Anyway, he was intuitive as to choices and had made our dinning experiences with NCL worth whatever overage service charge worth it.

Correct....because of the very limited seating (12 diners X 4 seatings = 48 spots/night)

Just correcting the numbers...

They have 12 seats per meal, and 1 meal every 30 minutes starting from 5:30pm until 10pm. So that's 12x10 = 120 guest per night. Even if it's every hour, that would be 60 guests per night. Even though it's so short, you don't feel rushed. They take your order, and the chefs come out a few minutes later with the cart. They start right off cooking with a show and you get your veggies, then rice and meat choice. It was a delicious meal and fun show. We have been to many Hibachi meals, and go to a sushi place in town that has 3 Hibachi tables that we can watch from our regular booth while just eating sushi. Even still, they always put on a good show.

We didn't have anyone after our 8:30 seating so we weren't rushed out, but they do try to keep it moving so they can prepare for the next meal. Definitely recommend it, along with Cagney's. We had the 4-night dining package and also did Le Bistro (French) and La Cucina (Italian).

Just correcting the numbers...

They have 12 seats per meal, and 1 meal every 30 minutes starting from 5:30pm until 10pm. So that's 12x10 = 120 guest per night. Even if it's every hour, that would be 60 guests per night. Even though it's so short, you don't feel rushed. They take your order, and the chefs come out a few minutes later with the cart. They start right off cooking with a show and you get your veggies, then rice and meat choice. It was a delicious meal and fun show. We have been to many Hibachi meals, and go to a sushi place in town that has 3 Hibachi tables that we can watch from our regular booth while just eating sushi. Even still, they always put on a good show.

We didn't have anyone after our 8:30 seating so we weren't rushed out, but they do try to keep it moving so they can prepare for the next meal. Definitely recommend it, along with Cagney's. We had the 4-night dining package and also did Le Bistro (French) and La Cucina (Italian).

I can't believe that there is a sitting every 30 minutes on the Star (there is no way I would have been able to finish my meal in 30 minutes), because when I was on the Dawn (as well as the Jewel and Pearl), they only had 3 seatings for the Teppanyaki restaurant - 5:30 - 7:15 and 9 something and if the table could seat 12, I'd be pretty surprised. There were 10 at our table (they had 2) on the Dawn and it was pretty cramped. Maybe the Star is totally different that the other ships I've been on where I have eaten at the Teppanyaki restaurant. Edited by NLH Arizona

• 2 months later...
We are platinum and were able to book the teppanyaki room in advance of our April 10th cruise.

When we got on board, we had a letter saying that there was a glitch in their computer system regarding reservations for the Teppanyaki Room. Our reservation was no longer there. We were able to get a reservation for the same day, but a different time.

We heard of others that had made reservations prior to the cruise only to be bumped as well.

We suspect it was due to suite guests with large parties wanting to have those times.

It is a small room with only 13 chairs for each seating of 90 minutes.

Edited by CTCruisers