Royal Tots

ApoJacks

Well, our cruise itineraries just got changed big time. We were going on Liberty of the Seas in November, and Freedom of the Seas in February 2017....now it looks like we'll be postponing those cruises...because we are possibly expecting, and if we aren't expecting, my wife wants us to be expecting. So we know she can't be more than six months pregnant to be on a cruise, which will eliminate our November cruise, and the baby has to be six months old to go on a cruise, which means that will eliminate our February 2017. Looks like we are looking at going in April or May of 2017, and then my wife has the idea that we take the February cruise and push that back as a birthday cruise for the baby. Otherwise we are going to lose several hundred dollars in cancellation fees with our stupid travel agent...

So my question is how is the Royal Tots Nursery if we decide we want to utilize that option? Is there a fee? What do people think of it?

My opinion on the nursery is it depends on the child. For us it has never worked out. Once the baby starts crying they call you right away to come get the baby. ( it seriously starts a chain reaction of them ALL crying) it's $6 per hour during the day and $8 at night. They charged us even if he didn't stay for the full hour.

For our next cruise I was thrilled to learn here on CC that they have in room baby sitting. I am hoping that this is a better fit for us. ( child has to be at least one year old)

My opinion on the nursery is it depends on the child.

^^ yes, this. Also depends on who is working the nursery and how many other kids are there.

Since you have so much time to plan, maybe you can get a grandparent, friend or nanny to come along as in extra hand in case the daycare doesn't work out.

For our next cruise I was thrilled to learn here on CC that they have in room baby sitting. I am hoping that this is a better fit for us. ( child has to be at least one year old)

I used the in-room babysitting service during my Explorer and Oasis sailings. It currently costs $19/hour (as it also did when I used it -- no change in the last couple of years) to a maximum of 2 hours at a time. They don't charge a gratuity on top of this $19/hour fee. I had it booked every single night from 20:00-22:00 so that my wife and I could have our second-seating dinner in the MDR while our daughter was prepped for bed time in our stateroom (she was 2-3 years old at the time).

You need to book the babysitting in advance at Guest Services (which we did for all nights in one visit on the first day of each cruise). You can request to meet the babysitters in advance if you wish (they'll come to your stateroom at an appointed time). There will always be two sitters.

In our experience, we had the same sitters every night for a given sailing (except for a substitution of one of the sitters when they became ill in one case). Their service was excellent and we gave each sitter a cash gratuity on the last night of each cruise.

Definitely a fee. I think it's still $6 per hour during the day and $8 per hour at night.

Yup, per the web site here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_kids_teens_and_families

Click on the "Just For Babies & Tots (6-36 mos)" tab.

I didn't get an opportunity to use this service because on Explorer in 2013 while DD was still under 36 months, they didn't have Royal Tots (they had Adventure Ocean Aquanauts, but that starts at 3 years of age). I think most (all?) ships have since been retrofitted with an area for Royal Tots. Definitely inquire to confirm if you intend to use this service on board any particular ship.

I am just curious, so for all these kids programs it is $6-8 per hour and you have to pay full cruise fare for them as well? Or as another thread suggested, purchase bay food for them (unless you bring your own)?

Seems like with all that double dipping cruise lines would be doing a lot more marketing to new parents, lol.

I am just curious, so for all these kids programs it is $6-8 per hour and you have to pay full cruise fare for them as well? Or as another thread suggested, purchase bay food for them (unless you bring your own)?

Seems like with all that double dipping cruise lines would be doing a lot more marketing to new parents, lol.

Kids always pay the same price as adults on Royal. As the 3rd or 4th guest in the stateroom, they would normally have a lower fare than the 1st and second guests, but that 3/4 price is the same whether child or adult.

Edited by clarea

you only pay the fee if you use it..and many parents do not, or their kids are old enough to not make it necessary.

EVERYONE regardless of age will pay the price based on their berth.

as for baby food.. every ship WILL puree table food on site negating the need to be forced to purchase jarred baby food.

kids are expensive.

[quote=ApoJacks;48940Otherwise we are going to lose several hundred dollars in cancellation fees with our stupid travel agent...

Why did no one ask what makes his travel agent stupid?

I would be smarter than to use a travel agent that charges several hundred dollars for cancelling a cruise.