Travelling with a EHIC card

I have my normal travel insurance when I cruise but also take my EHIC card with me. Apparently I should not bother!

This is from the EHIC site (my emphasis)

"The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.

this leads me to the question - is insurance compulsory on cruises? or what about if you are rich and wish to cover your own risk ;)

I have my normal travel insurance when I cruise but also take my EHIC card with me. Apparently I should not bother!

This is from the EHIC site (my emphasis)

"The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.

this leads me to the question - is insurance compulsory on cruises? or what about if you are rich and wish to cover your own risk ;)

Oh, food for thought and scope for clarification dave. I wonder if the 'not valid' on cruises bit refers to medical attention on board which we know is payable but probably claimable through your personal travel insurance. I can appreciate repatriation would be through your own insurance.

Do you think it would however be valid for treatment/hospitalisation on shore provided it wasn't a private hospital you went to? (I have read of people being caught out that way.) If not, what does it actually entitle you to?

Incidentally I have also read that you must have it in your possession at the point of seeking treatment - apparently it isn't sufficient to say it's on the ship and I can provide it in a couple of hours. You have to show it upfront so we now take care to take our cards off the ship with us.

Fraught with hidden potential to catch you out. I'll be interested to read what others have to say or what their experiences are on this one. Important we know!

Edited by kruzseeka

Was only talking about this with my GP (Spanish) this morning.

He looked it up on the Spanish Health Service computer and it said that you had to be on land for 24 hours to be covered with an EHIC card so not valid for cruise passengers only ashore for a few hours. Should you need emergency treatment you will of course receive it BUT would get a bill later on to cover the cost.

However, I have seen posts from people saying they were accepted with an EHIC card when needing treatment ashore so, like most EU things, it seems to be up to the interpretation of each individual clinic! You may have a travel some considerable distance to find a State clinic or hospital though - as already stated in the previous posts, you cannot use a private facility with an EHIC card.

Edited by campolady

As I understand it, the EHIC card is only designed to cover EC citizens for emergency treatment for life threatening conditions or "normal" accidents which require hospitilisation.

Obviously it is not intended to cover incidents on hazardous activities - these are not included on private travel insurance either, unless flagged up and agreed (with additional premium) in advance.

From what holiday reps told us over the years it was accidents on scooters etc. that caused most avoidable dramas - insurance was null and void if helmets were not worn and/or alcohol was involved.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I tried some online research and thomsons say you can't use it for medical care aboard the ship. Elsewhere it says some insurance companies insist on it in addition to your own insurance. Also elsewhere someone wrote that you need the EHIC card with you when you go ashore because you will not get treatment if you have left it on the ship.

I guess as it is free you might as well have it with you at all times.