Shanghai port day

Tara Jane

Exactly the same except I boarded in Adelaide. Loved the two or three days cruising through GBR and the crew put on lots of crazy fun activities on those sea days. That is the real Cunard experience. Great just sitting on the promenade people watching. Attend the free gym classes. Watch some movies. Heaps of guest lecturers on a variety of topics.

Great, so i am starting to get a bit more confident about a shuttle in Shanghai if it is the same trip you did. Do you recall how chaotic it was when you arrived in HK in regard to being able to get a taxi? How were the theatre shows each night?

If you could I'd try book a taxi for Hong Kong. Or arrange transport from your hotel to meet you at say 10.30am? Enjoyed many of the shows. I didnt see him but apparently there was a Chinese born pianist who boarded in Shanghai and people raved about him. Entertainers tend to board one port then disembark the next so lots of variety.

We have been to Shanghai twice and both times the pollution was terrible. Could part of that fog be the pollution?

In our case it was classic fog that started a day before - the fog horn was being used every few minutes for 24 hours before we entered the river. It was very heavy rain on Shanghai proper - and a sea of rainbow umbrellas. Hong Kong was rainy too.

e82be68be1fdd00613f9f001d934d71b.jpg

But at other times smog is the issue.

I think the issue with Shanghai is that it does tend to get cancelled due to weather. When QM2 sails into the River entry it is a 3 hour journey to get to Port and they have to clear the river of other craft. Its a massive exercise. I am an OC planner too but sometimes you just have to sit back and try enjoy the journey. Once you are onboard the OC just slides away.

I don't recall the river being cleared of other craft on the way into Shanghai. The fun starts on the way out, when the ship has to turn. Some of the small boats take no notice of the authorities and risk life and limb rather than wait.

I don't recall the river being cleared of other craft on the way into Shanghai. The fun starts on the way out, when the ship has to turn. Some of the small boats take no notice of the authorities and risk life and limb rather than wait.

Just going by what the Captain said. There are vessels in the river but moored. We departed at 11pm and just a couple of us on deck to watch sailaway.

Edited by Pushka

Pushka do you recall if there was a shuttle into Cairns from Yorkey's knob?

I have researched to find there is a public bus if no shuttle but it might be a bit of a walk from the port to the bus.

I did a barrier reef cruise direct from the ship so didn't get onto land. I do recall there was some kind of bus service to get into the main area. Remember these ports love getting the tourist $ so they will do everything possible to get you to the main areas - sometimes for free.

Pushka do you recall if there was a shuttle into Cairns from Yorkey's knob?

I have researched to find there is a public bus if no shuttle but it might be a bit of a walk from the port to the bus.

Hi Tara, I spoke to a lady from Cunard today and she said there was no shuttle bus to Cairns from Yorkers Knob

Thanks Subaru,

looks like it will be a public bus or taxi for us if we decide to go in to cairns.

We have been there a few times over the last couple of years on cruise ships so might just hang around yorkeys knob.

Have you considered going to Skyrail?

Yes been there done that several times, also the train to kuranda.

Just checked the bus its just over an hour into cairns from yorkeys with a change of bus at smithfield shopping centre. daily seniors ticket is $4 so looks like that will be how we spend the day. Its lovely along the waterfront, the lagoon area, guess we will need to buy the grandaughters the traditional gift of a t shirt, pop into woollies for the things we forgot to pack!!!!! we will manage to fill in the day ok I am sure. if not it will be early back to enjoy the ship while others are still out and about.

ooops just thinking that somehow i have gone from a question about shanghai to cairns.

Edited by Tara Jane

You started the thread - you can take it where you want!

At Yorkeys we were tendered a way out. And a huge storm hit as all the tenders were returning. They had to stop for a while and swing the ship the other way to get the port side tenders on the deck. Was fascinating to watch the brave crew work at this. Took them several goes to get the last two back.

If there is a bus it will be put on by the locals and Cunard wont necessarily know about it.

Hi Tara Jane, I just posted a blog review of Shanghai that you might find helpful. We spent one of our port days there exploring on our own – walking and taking taxis. We were on the Crystal Symphony, docked near the bund.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/?p=514

Happy Travels!

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Thanks maryogreen lovely reading. How fortunate that you were there long enough to be able to go exploring other cities. A bit of me is somewhat sad we won't have the chance to see the great wall. Guess we will have a taste and if we like what we see, we can arrange a land tour later to see it.

A couple on our cruise did a land tour of China last year and enjoyed it very much.

Edited by Tara Jane

• 1 month later...
Hi we are on Queen Mary 2 and will have one day in Shanghai on March 26th.

Is anyone able to tell me where the ship shuttle drops passengers in the city itself. We were going to do one of the ships tours but nothing really "grabs" us so now thinking of doing the city sightseeing hop on hop off bus, but not planning to get off at many stops, and then a ferry ride on the river.

We dock early morning, and dont leave until almost midnight, so time is not an issue. I would be guessing we would plan to leave the ship about 10 am ish and return in time for dinner.

Thank you

Shanghai is an easy city to get around on foot or using public transit (metro). If you dock in the city centre (on the Bund) you can take the metro across the river to financial district and enjoy a great view from the skyscrapers. Boat tours along the river are also fun. Enjoy your trip!

http://ShanghaiChina.ca

Hi we are on Queen Mary 2 and will have one day in Shanghai on March 26th.

Is anyone able to tell me where the ship shuttle drops passengers in the city itself. We were going to do one of the ships tours but nothing really "grabs" us so now thinking of doing the city sightseeing hop on hop off bus, but not planning to get off at many stops, and then a ferry ride on the river.

We dock early morning, and dont leave until almost midnight, so time is not an issue. I would be guessing we would plan to leave the ship about 10 am ish and return in time for dinner.

Thank you

I assume you know about the Shanghai Museum of Chinese Art. It's probably the best museum of its kind in China with good lighting and interesting architecture. Curators all over the world talk about the extra-ordinary bronze collection, but my favorite is room with the clothing of the Chinese minority people. I may be particularly enthusiastic because we had a guide who was a member of one of the minorities and she was telling fascinating stories about the symbolism of the clothes and her father's story as a victim of the Cultural Revolution. If you can get a guide who is a member of an ethnic minority, a visit to this museum will be a special experience.

There's another place in Shanghai that is most surprising and very fascinating. In the years early years of N**i rule, when simply kicking Jews out of the country (Germany and Austria, especially) was acceptable, Shanghai was one of the few destinations accepting Jews. This open door policy existed despite the fact that many Jews had been stripped of their citizenship and were traveling with no passport and no visa. Today, you can visit an interesting museum and the historic synagogue that tells the story of this period in history.

Even if the OP's trip already may have taken place, perhaps someone else will read about these atypical experiences in Shanghai and become interested.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I assume you know about the Shanghai Museum of Chinese Art. It's probably the best museum of its kind in China with good lighting and interesting architecture. Curators all over the world talk about the extra-ordinary bronze collection, but my favorite is room with the clothing of the Chinese minority people. I may be particularly enthusiastic because we had a guide who was a member of one of the minorities and she was telling fascinating stories about the symbolism of the clothes and her father's story as a victim of the Cultural Revolution. If you can get a guide who is a member of an ethnic minority, a visit to this museum will be a special experience.

There's another place in Shanghai that is most surprising and very fascinating. In the years early years of N**i rule, when simply kicking Jews out of the country (Germany and Austria, especially) was acceptable, Shanghai was one of the few destinations accepting Jews. This open door policy existed despite the fact that many Jews had been stripped of their citizenship and were traveling with no passport and no visa. Today, you can visit an interesting museum and the historic synagogue that tells the story of this period in history.

Even if the OP's trip already may have taken place, perhaps someone else will read about these atypical experiences in Shanghai and become interested.

Thanks for all this information it has really helped us. We have been to Singapore before but it will be our first and only port in China on a BTB cruise from Japan. I would like to visit a water town but not sure how long immigration will take. Think we may take a shuttle if there is one and go and see these buildings.