AMA Linz Options

bigpaluka

have 3 choices in Linz with Ama, has anyone been on these and thoughts? All look good to us. we have researched and would love to do them all, but I guess we have to pick one. we are on the first sailing of the year, leaving 3-28-16. we have 2 pre days in Budapest and 4 post days in Munich.

first option is a visit to the Austrian Lake District, the scenic Salzkammergut region, The second option is an excursion to the Czech town of Cesky Krumlov, . The third choice is an excursion to Salzburg

We did the Austrian Lakes District and enjoyed it. It is a bus trip with beautiful scenery and we stopped at at 2 or 3 towns with walking tours. We went in Nov and it got dark near the end of the trip.

We visited Cesky Krumlov on our own pre cruise otherwise we would have chosen this tour instead of the Lakes District. Cesky Krumlov is a fairy tale town and we loved visiting it.

We did the Austrian Lakes District and enjoyed it. It is a bus trip with beautiful scenery and we stopped at at 2 or 3 towns with walking tours. We went in Nov and it got dark near the end of the trip.

We visited Cesky Krumlov on our own pre cruise otherwise we would have chosen this tour instead of the Lakes District. Cesky Krumlov is a fairy tale town and we loved visiting it.

I'm taking the same itinerary in July and have the same question.

Did you hear from anyone who took the excursion to Salzburg? I'm considering it because I'm a Sound of Music movie fanatic. I have to research Cesky Krumlov a bit further. I'm not familiar with it at all. Is there any other place you can think of that is similar? Why do you describe it as a fairy tale? Thanks for your input.

have 3 choices in Linz with Ama, has anyone been on these and thoughts? All look good to us. we have researched and would love to do them all, but I guess we have to pick one. we are on the first sailing of the year, leaving 3-28-16. we have 2 pre days in Budapest and 4 post days in Munich.

first option is a visit to the Austrian Lake District, the scenic Salzkammergut region, The second option is an excursion to the Czech town of Cesky Krumlov, . The third choice is an excursion to Salzburg

No doubt, Cesky Krumlov

Living in the middle (Passau) of the triangle that make up the 3 choices, let me add my comments. All three are UNESCO World Heritage sites and are all worth visiting in their own right.

My personal choice would be Český Krumlov (or Krumau in German), it is a fairy tale place to visit, small and compact to see everything during your visit.

With reference to the Sound of Music Museum in Salzburg, I do not know of any German or Austrian who has actually visited it.

Edited by G.M.T.

Living in the middle (Passau) of the triangle that make up the 3 choices, let me add my comments. All three are UNESCO World Heritage sites and are all worth visiting in their own right.

My personal choice would be Český Krumlov (or Krumau in German), it is a fairy tale place to visit, small and compact to see everything during your visit.

With reference to the Sound of Music Museum in Salzburg, I do not know of any German or Austrian who has actually visited it.

Thanks. I even know that the entire Sound of Music story is one big fabrication and I still can't help myself. Lol.

I'm taking the same itinerary in July and have the same question.

Did you hear from anyone who took the excursion to Salzburg? I'm considering it because I'm a Sound of Music movie fanatic. I have to research Cesky Krumlov a bit further. I'm not familiar with it at all. Is there any other place you can think of that is similar? Why do you describe it as a fairy tale? Thanks for your input.

Yes, those who went to Salzburg said they enjoyed the trip and, like you, many went because of their love of The Sound Of Music. I don't recall comments afterwards about that part of the tour. It seemed that the movie was somehow worked into other tours because they know that Americans love the movie. However, Austrians are not particularly fond of that movie. The Austrian Lakes District tour stopped in Mondasee for a walking tour including the church used in the wedding scene in the movie but I believe it was only the outside of the church that was used.

You might want to search this forum for comments about the Salzburg tour and The Sound of Music. I seem to recall reading some reviews (a year or two ago perhaps) but since we weren't interested in this tour, I just don't remember the details.

As for Cesky Krumlov, it is a medieval town with a castle towering over all. The streets twist and turn and there is a river running thru' it. We went on our own from Prague and did a walking tour with a local that included the town and the castle. Google it and you will have a better picture of what I am talking about. We loved it!

You say you are a Sound of Music fanatic so I guess you will need to think it all over carefully so you don't regret your final decision but I would try and find out if the Salzsburg tour will live up to your expectations. Hopefully someone will post their actual experience with that tour. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
spelling corrected at poster's request

Fascinating what auto-correct does sometimes! I don't think Cesky Krumlov has ever been notably more evil than its neighbors, even in medieval times!

Oops! Must remember to do a better job proof reading. Any way to correct this? Certainly don't want to give the wrong impression of this charming town!

Yes, those who went to Salzburg said they enjoyed the trip and, like you, many went because of their love of The Sound Of Music. I don't recall comments afterwards about that part of the tour. It seemed that the movie was somehow worked into other tours because they know that Americans love the movie. However, Austrians are not particularly fond of that movie. The Austrian Lakes District tour stopped in Mondasee for a walking tour including the church used in the wedding scene in the movie but I believe it was only the outside of the church that was used.

You might want to search this forum for comments about the Salzburg tour and The Sound of Music. I seem to recall reading some reviews (a year or two ago perhaps) but since we weren't interested in this tour, I just don't remember the details.

As for Cesky Krumlov, it is a medieval town with a castle towering over all. The streets twist and turn and there is a river running thru' it. We went on our own from Prague and did a walking tour with a local that included the town and the castle. Google it and you will have a better picture of what I am talking about. We loved it!

You say you are a Sound of Music fanatic so I guess you will need to think it all over carefully so you don't regret your final decision but I would try and find out if the Salzsburg tour will live up to your expectations. Hopefully someone will post their actual experience with that tour. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you Purduemom for your well thought out advice. I looked at the beautiful photos of Cesky Krumlov. (I have them on my Pinterest board if anyone needs them). It does look lovely.

I'm going to wait until I hear what the CD has to say about the Salzburg excursion. Aside from the Sound of Music connection it looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit also. Such problems to have. :-).

Thank you Purduemom for your well thought out advice. I looked at the beautiful photos of Cesky Krumlov. (I have them on my Pinterest board if anyone needs them). It does look lovely.

I'm going to wait until I hear what the CD has to say about the Salzburg excursion. Aside from the Sound of Music connection it looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit also. Such problems to have. :-).

You are very welcome! Yes, this is a happy "problem" to have.

Before Julie Andrews, Salzburg was known for its connection to this fellow named Mozart. You may have heard of him ;)

How did you get there and how long did it take? I'd love to work it into our pre (Budapest) or post (Prague) cruise days if possible.

How did you get there and how long did it take? I'd love to work it into our pre (Budapest) or post (Prague) cruise days if possible.

We took the Student Agency bus-a very comfortable bus with wifi and not just for students. http://studentagencybus.com/order_en

We bought tickets online in advance and had reserved seats. Our hotel provided us with a boxed breakfast and we were served coffee on the bus. The bus station for Student Agency bus to Cesky Krumlov is Na Knizeci which is next to Andel metro and is easily and quickly accessible by public transport. We took the metro from near our hotel.

When we arrived in Cesky Krumlov we walked to the main square and met up with Wiseman Free Walking Tour. The guide was excellent and you tip accordingly instead of a set tour price. You can google Wiseman Tour Cesky Krumlov for more info. Also, check them out on a Trip Advisor.

We left Prague around 8am and it was around 5pm when we returned.

I found a lot of info on the Trip Advisor forums for Prague and Cesky Krumlov and the tour company was in The Lonely Planet tour book. We did this trip in Nov. of 2014.

Edited by purduemom1

Thank you so much for the great information and link. I'll definitely research this over the weekend [emoji846].

You are welcome. I know I have always received a lot of help from posters on this forum as well as Trip Advisor forums when we plan our trips so glad to help others in return:)

Salzburg is beautiful. We visited there on a Danube cruise with Scenic. We visited one of the salt mines - then had lunch in town before having some free time. But, it is a fair bus ride away from the Danube.

We did get some Sound of Music info - but mostly because our tour guide that day was a personal friend of some of the Von Trapp family children. Apparently one or more of the grandchildren now perform - and someone from the family performed at a family wedding!!

Fran

Edited by franski

Salzburg is beautiful. We visited there on a Danube cruise with Scenic. We visited one of the salt mines - then had lunch in town before having some free time. But, it is a fair bus ride away from the Danube.

We did get some Sound of Music info - but mostly because our tour guide that day was a personal friend of some of the Von Trapp family children. Apparently one or more of the grandchildren now perform - and someone from the family performed at a family wedding!!

Fran

Thanks for the input Fran. I think another deciding factor will be the length of the bus ride.