Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Should be an interesting read! My 2 cents: The Royal class ships are a better comparison to the Solstice class of X ships. They both represent the brands making changes (good & bad)from the previous class. I loved both the Ruby & the Constellation, but given the choice of Silhouette or Regal, I would go with Regal hands down.

My parents board the Reflection this weekend [emoji3]

Hi Lor, I can't compare the Royal Class to the S Class as I haven't been on the Royal ships and I don't have a compelling reason to sail on one. I'm not a fan of those designs.

The Ruby and the Celebrity Solstice began service in November 2008. The Silhouette arrived in 2011 wearing the same gown as the Solstice but with variations on the lawn deck.

Ruby is a good representative of the Grand Class which is the class I have primarily sailed. I could have used the Emerald as she was the ship I sailed before Silhouette but that was a port intensive itinerary in Italy so I am using the Ruby as I've sailed her twice and the last time was January 2015. I sailed the Silhouette this January also in the Caribbean.

Cheers!

Norris

As some of you will be aware I usually respond to each poster individually but early on there are too many responses to do that without making it a Scroll Fest for those looking for the comparison itself.

So breaking Protocol I'm going to call out the names of those I'd like to thank for a warm welcome. Please raise your hand (and put down the muffins) when I read your name.

p0240

Anubi

Deliver42

SOLIVITA LADY

Luvmyrotti

hllwdcruiser

travelling8

riclop

Cruise Junky

Love.II.Cruise

scorchestra

cvpends

perfect match

Cruze Crazy

jasperdo

I love the start of your post, so can we please get the reviews?

Here's my 2 cents. I have been on three cruises, the first one the Constellation in 2014, last year on the Caribbean Princess, last week on the Royal Princess. So, not a lot to compare. We are hoping to be on the Silhouette in September for a Med cruise, but don't have unlimited funds and not sure it's in the budget. Gotta pay off an enormous vet bill for one of my kitties.

Anyway:

Celebrity- a little more expensive, better food, better cabins (especially bathrooms) and overall service than Princess. No movies (at least on our 5 night on the Connie) and entertainment/activities not as good

Princess- less expensive (at least in the Caribbean, can't believe the deal we got last year), food not as good, cabins and bathrooms smaller with cheaper and fewer amenities in the bathrooms, service not as friendly or speedy. However, LOADS of movies, and so much to do it's hard to choose at times, and the production shows are a bit better.

We have a motto- ABP

A Always

B Be

P Planning

So when one cruise ends we like to have another to look forward to.

We always have a Future Cruise Deposit ($100 each) which we buy on a Princess Ship, in hand, ready to be used on another cruise.

When we left the Ruby in January 2015 we had the Emerald Rome to Barcelona booked. What would we do after that for our winter Escape Chicago cruise in the Caribbean?

Carol wanted to (a) see some new ports and (b) as many sea days as possible.

One lazy Sunday in March we began our search on different computers. I immediately went to Princess while Carol surfed elsewhere. We wanted a new ship and I even suggested the Royal Princess as she was hitting Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I don't like the design but most of you know that already but thought Carol would have less of a problem with that.

Not enough sea days ! she cried and rolled my suggestion into a paper ball and threw it at my head.

So I went and looked at the following; Royal Caribbean (Radiance class my favorite), HAL, Cunard, Oceania and Azamara while she looked into Celebrity.

Surfing those sites showed me how good the Princess web site was in terms of speed and ease of use. You can search itinerary of course but you can also search quickly by room category once you find your cruise and then pick a room as it shows you which rooms are sold (or reserved). On the other sites this isn't the case and on HAL for instance you have to find a location you like and enter that cabin number only to get a message that that cabin is booked. Time wasting.

Here's one! cried Carol. 7 days Eastern Caribbean- 3 ports and 3 sea days!

What ports? said I. San Juan, Basseterre St Kitts and Philipsburg St Maarten said she. I had been to 2 of those but not St Kitts. Carol had been to St Maarten twice on the Ruby.

What ship? asked I.

Celebrity Silhouette.

I love that ship! said I, being a ship nerd and admirer of the S Class since I first saw the Equinox up close in Port Everglades in 2012. I had also enjoyed some great photo reviews on the X board as I surf all the boards including river cruising.

Sounds good to me!

I went on the Celebrity Board to book. Oh dear, we are back in the age of steam.

The website was slow and lacking in user-friendly pizazz. The excursions page was very scant on details.

I already had a cabin picked out from a deck plan and I checked it on the excellent S Class cabin spreadsheet put on the X board by a generous cruiser and filled in with comments on a great many cabins by folks who had stayed in them.

Sky Suite 7309 was said to be "quiet" and had no negatives other than a long walk to the elevators. It had no obstructions from window washing equipment.

It had views in two directions. Nice.

The website showed we qualified for their 1,2,3 Go! promotion which offered us Included Classic Beverage package, Included gratuities (saving $33 a day total for the two of us)and $300 OBC to spend.

The suite was undercutting the Royal Princess by several hundred dollars and the Royal had no perks other than those for suite passengers/Elite passengers and now we would save money on drinks and tips and have more OBC.

INTERNET EXPERIENCE?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

( The benchmark )

Well I am here too, but must have missed the handing out of the muffins. And I would really like one.

The muffins are cyber muffins and are available 24/7 and always fresh.

There's no handing them out-you just help yourself to as many as you want.

Norris

Feeding the World one muffin at a time

I love the start of your post, so can we please get the reviews?

Here's my 2 cents. I have been on three cruises, the first one the Constellation in 2014, last year on the Caribbean Princess, last week on the Royal Princess. So, not a lot to compare. We are hoping to be on the Silhouette in September for a Med cruise, but don't have unlimited funds and not sure it's in the budget. Gotta pay off an enormous vet bill for one of my kitties.

Anyway:

Celebrity- a little more expensive, better food, better cabins (especially bathrooms) and overall service than Princess. No movies (at least on our 5 night on the Connie) and entertainment/activities not as good

Princess- less expensive (at least in the Caribbean, can't believe the deal we got last year), food not as good, cabins and bathrooms smaller with cheaper and fewer amenities in the bathrooms, service not as friendly or speedy. However, LOADS of movies, and so much to do it's hard to choose at times, and the production shows are a bit better.

Kim, thanks for your comparisons!

In our case it was less expensive. They have movies on the Silhouette but on a much smaller indoor screen than MUTS which rules the waves and was a Princess innovation on the Caribbean P in 2004.

In this home we know Vet bills, sadly only too well.

I hope you make it onto the Silhouette. You would be in for a treat.

Norris

We had 6 months to wait for our Emerald Cruise in late September and in June we attended the Printer's Row Litfest - a massive book fair that takes up our street with booksellers, poets, live bands, Celebrity Chef cooking demos and anything goes basically. Despite the crowds outside our front door we went to a cooking demo by a guy from Top Chef a couple of seasons ago (Carlos from Mexico). He made a salad-whoop de doo!

Wandering back home we came across a giant Adirondack chair and a booth with a Celebrity Cruise Lines banner. Ingenious! No other cruise line thought to get in front of this annual throng of people. We picked up a couple of glossy brochures and a free tote bag.

We had our best cruise ever from Rome to Barcelona. The itinerary gave us Italy all the way which is fine by us. The Emerald ship was all we expected as it's a sister of the Ruby. Some of the crew were all at sea in the main dining room though which led to some frustration. Deck crew weren't on their game either.

The months pass and soon we would fly to Ft. Lauderdale ( a month ago).

We would soon be boarding a ship I got up at 4 a.m to watch coming back from her January 10th cruise to the Western Caribbean.

So I'll compare BOARDING next.

Hi Norris,

I stumbled upon this latest review of yours and am anxiously awaiting the next installments. I have read many of your past reviews and have found them to be some of the best ever. We also did Mexican Rivera cruise recently on the Crown, sister to the Ruby and also love these ships. Have considered X at some time in the future, depending on itinerary and pricing, but have also found their website to be less friendly.

At any rate, I will also take the time to read your Celebrity review, as I am sure it will be entertaining as all others have been. A toast to you!

Dixon:cool:

I printed out a 22 page Boarding Package from X and left behind what we didn't need (terms of contract mainly). The 22 pages included black and white luggage tags and enough of them to cover a World Cruise with hat boxes and steamer trunks. We got colored ones with adhesive backs before we left Chicago and they were in place and in the care of a dock porter.

We've never had an issue checking in with Princess. There's usually about 26 desks staffed and a warm greeting. Everything except security photos connected to our cruise cards is handled there. I like the "Welcome back" we get as we hand over our ID and credit card.

Our X experience was similar- immediate service as we were early and always are and a bubbly welcoming smile. Fast and friendly. However we got our photo taken there and then which would save a stop on boarding. There were approx. 40 desk clerks ready to serve.

Through security briskly. Photo in front of the usual ship backdrop. Bantered with the photographers. Then to the waiting room. X lady saw our silver Suite card and invited us to "go upstairs" where there was a Priority Boarding lounge. No coffee, juice or snacks that we could see unlike Princess but we sat down and were up again in less than 10 minutes when a lady came in and invited us to board the ship. I looked at my watch- 11.15 a.m.. 25 minutes since we got out of the cab.

Up a steep gangway to deck 5 and there is a waiter offering champagne and mimosas with a smile.

BOARDING ?

ADVANTAGE CELEBRITY

(For speed of processing and the Welcome Aboard offer of champagne for all plus being on the ship well before noon boarding time.)

NEXT UP- ROOM READINESS ON BOARDING

Hi Norris,

I stumbled upon this latest review of yours and am anxiously awaiting the next installments. I have read many of your past reviews and have found them to be some of the best ever. We also did Mexican Rivera cruise recently on the Crown, sister to the Ruby and also love these ships. Have considered X at some time in the future, depending on itinerary and pricing, but have also found their website to be less friendly.

At any rate, I will also take the time to read your Celebrity review, as I am sure it will be entertaining as all others have been. A toast to you!

Dixon:cool:

Dixon! My man! Welcome.

I just finished my Silhouette review 20 minutes ago but it's still piping hot.

I'd be happy if you took the time to read it through.

Cheers!

Norris

On Princess when you board your room is ready and waiting. The previous passengers have cleared your room by 8 a.m and your solo room steward sets to work and in a suite because of the size that's a lot of work.

On Celebrity (and some other lines too, I know) you board and have to lug your hand luggage through the ship until such times as the two room stewards (for suites at least) prep the room following the same 8 a.m availability of the room.

In our case on the Silhouette our suite was ready at 1.15 pm when an announcement was made to that effect.

ROOM READINESS?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

NEXT UP-SUITE ACCOMMODATIONS

Hi Norris, been following your X review and followed last year's Emerald review. Been thinking about X so excited to read your comparison.

Not a muffin gal, but have a nice Pinot in hand and settling in to follow along.

Diana

Hi Norris,

I loved your Silhouette review and, obviously, had to read your Princess and X comparison. Our first sailing on the Silhouette will be a B2B in October and November this year and I was very interested in your opinion of the ship... I have also started reading your Venice to Rome review and I love, love, LOVE your writing style and all the photos!

Thanks for sharing!

When available we usually book a suite and it has to be an aft suite as they have big balconies and are Aft which is where we like to live for the wake and the lack of wind.

On the Grand Class ships that we sail there are usually two types of suites.

1 Penthouse (preferred) and 2 Vista which has a shallower balcony and a big white metal beam poking through the deck.

Here's where we live

20765012016_25aa359a9d_b.jpg

We are in the middle just above the blank deck space and to the right of the flag line. Vista suites are at the corners.

The Balcony

17465771513_a3af50755a_b.jpg

There are two upright teak dining chairs not shown in that balcony photo which gives you an idea of how much space there is on the balcony (18ft x 8) Yes, the dining table for 4 needs re-varnishing but as I said earlier I am out of varnish.

The Suite

17900726990_37f1a2d900_b.jpg

The suite has 2 TVs (one is in the bedroom) and a DVD player. This one is by the wet bar. There is a complimentary mini bar here for suites (and Elites). A one-time fill. I change the spirits out for beer on day one.

Between the wet bar and the cabin door is a second door into the bathroom which is split- on the bedroom side is the whirlpool tub and huge glass enclosed shower.

On the right side is a sink and a toilet with a door leading out into this living room, therefore two people can use the bathroom at the same time.

View from the bedroom

17900460138_7dda6e85d3_b.jpg

The bedroom has a heavy curtain to close off the living room and has it's own set of sliding doors onto the balcony.

18061849496_5a171ace08_b.jpg

The rest of the bedroom has a desk and mirrors. The 2nd bathroom door is seen as is a mirrored door which leads to a walk-in closet. Tons of storage space.

17465778514_512e4e3964_b.jpg

Not shown is the split bathroom which has about 2.5 times the space of the X one in our Sky Suite (which will follow next)

A fruit bowl and fresh flowers are brought every day and laundry is free to suite guests (nice!)

Hi Norris,

I loved your Silhouette review and, obviously, had to read your Princess and X comparison. Our first sailing on the Silhouette will be a B2B in October and November this year and I was very interested in your opinion of the ship... I have also started reading your Venice to Rome review and I love, love, LOVE your writing style and all the photos!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and welcome! Anyone with cat in their screen name is welcome.

Glad you like the Silhouette review.

If you are reading the Venice one and it says Photo Not Available just click on the big X and you'll see the photo on Flickr where it lives.

Thanks for the compliments!

Norris

hi and welcome to my comparison of the cruising experience offered by princess and celebrity.

So if you have a mind (and that would be preferred) please follow along.

As always in my reviews or whatever this will be called there is a cyber bar-top shelf liquors and munchies so help yourself.

Welcome aboard!

norris

rum did someone say rum?????????

There are 4 levels of suites on the Silhouette- Penthouse (with a piano and hot tub on deck), Royal (whirlpool tub on deck also) Celebrity which has a bedroom with a door to separate it from the living room but the Sky Suite (the lowest level) is the only kind on the stern and that's where we have to be on a ship.

The suite is set in a private corridor off the main corridor so it is very quiet.

Here's the view from the doorway.

24539324652_a94011649d_b.jpg

The view from the balcony end

24019567204_77fa72d1d8_b.jpg

Lots of space around the bed

24279960709_70b2169a6d_b.jpg

The mini-bar lives here (not free)

24020895063_8393037f60_b.jpg

The huge porthole window gives us a view to port. It's big enough for a person to sit in.

24353562459_b0002ac291_b.jpg

More....