Service Charge Increase

G.M.T.

Costa's Service Charge is due to be increased as from early June 2016 (and not from Spring 2017 as recent information stated) from €9 to €10.

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/Documents/service-charges/service_charges_new.pdf

Also something I have not seen before, in that the passenger can decide of they want to pay the Service Charge up front when booking.

"Guests may choose to add the service charge to the total to be paid when booking. "

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Before_you_go/general/Pages/GeneralInfo.aspx

I have to say that Costa are about to kill the goose that lays the golden egg!

Their hike in service charge over 2 years I think is excessive. I would like to see my salary increase pro rata - 33%.

Our Costa cruising history is as follows

SEP2014 Pacifica €7,50

JAN2015 Serena €8,00

JUN2015 Favolosa €8,50

APR 2016 Meditteranea €9,00

Very soon to be €10,00

That is too much of a hike too quickly. This means for a family of 5 (i.e. us) with kids under 14 we will pay €245 for a 7 day cruise - that could be a deal breaker!

I would like to see the service charge in the actual cruise price. The EU forced airlines to show the final total before you bought your ticket, why not with cruise lines?

Why Costa doesn't do it? They could easily do it, their German daughter company Aida have just the cruise price (service included), and AIDA are certainly filling up their ships.

PS. When the price of oil hit record levels, cruise lines introduced "fuel surcharge", now the bottom has fallen out on the price of oil you never heard of a "fuel rebate" from cruise lines.

Edited by G.M.T.

I would like to see the service charge in the actual cruise price. The EU forced airlines to show the final total before you bought your ticket, why not with cruise lines?

Why Costa doesn't do it? They could easily do it, their German daughter company Aida have just the cruise price (service included), and AIDA are certainly filling up their ships.

PS. When the price of oil hit record levels, cruise lines introduced "fuel surcharge", now the bottom has fallen out on the price of oil you never heard of a "fuel rebate" from cruise lines.

The T&Cs will always favour the cruise lines.

Airlines have very sneakily reduced the air fares but in the taxes is a huge chunk of 'tax' that the airlines keep for themselves - it is not an airport or government levy.

This is most notable when you travel with kids under 11 who travel on 67% of the fare. However, when the fare is just €10 and the taxes €220 the saving for a child is just €3.30 :rolleyes: A significant proportion of that €220 goes into the airlines coffers. I think that is why the airlines were forced by the EU to quote fully inclusive prices because advertising a fare at €10 and it ending up in fact being €230 was just blatant. It is not that bad yet on the cruise lines!

Edited by tomvet

Tomvet - that is far too much to charge your family. I feel your pain!

Costa are being very bad indeed

Caryl

Once all our kids will turn 14 at the current rate the cost a service charge would be €350. This will make cruise lines like AIDA or Thomson more attractive as s/charge or tips are included in the price.

Sorry folk, but even at €10/day, Costa tips are the least expensive I have encountered!

I know a couple of years ago, when they were even less, I felt so guilty I gave everyone extra. And the cool thing was, they didn't expect it, and several even tried to refuse the extra tipping.

The staff on these ships work very hard for their tips, and I can't, (in good conscious), begrudge them the tips they are suggesting. I guess if it were a problem, I would consider whether I could actually afford to cruise or not.

Happy Cruising,

tnt

AS far as we are concerned Costa are shooting themselves in the foot, with English speaking guests.

First the blatant dis-regard they have shown to their most loyal clients with their new club rules, which totally ignores years of loyalty & many cruise in favour of the favoured few who cruise with them three weeks a year, they now increase the 'So called service charge' which if the crew are to be believed they only get part of it.

I do think that it is still one of the lowest charges, however the increases seem to be coming in every other year.

Still waiting answers to several question about my points totals, 28 days after they were asked. why have a email address that seldom works.

We are Costa fans. Cruised with them a few times and it suits us.

But it suits us for a reason, the Costa offering isnt as generous as the others. On board entertainment is very limited....but then the price reflects that. We use it as a nice hotel to take us to different destinations. Sea days are not something we look for. Unlike MSC, no Ice Cream on all inclusive!

Like another post above, we have seen this compulsory fee increase substantially, which with 5 of us in the family, 3 full price, adds to the cost.

I dont begrudge the staff, we always have a nice time, in fact I tip extra.

So this charge may eventually send us elsewhere. If I can get a better offering for a slightly better price, we might just start to look at on board entertainment on the bigger ships.

And I forgot....we seem to have lost our Pearl status we thought we would have this year, back to Coral......with less benefits!

Sorry folk, but even at €10/day, Costa tips are the least expensive I have encountered!

I know a couple of years ago, when they were even less, I felt so guilty I gave everyone extra. And the cool thing was, they didn't expect it, and several even tried to refuse the extra tipping.

The staff on these ships work very hard for their tips, and I can't, (in good conscious), begrudge them the tips they are suggesting. I guess if it were a problem, I would consider whether I could actually afford to cruise or not.

Happy Cruising,

tnt

€10 per day = USD11 so at the upper end of the range

Fred Olsen is 4£ - about €5

P&O a little more.

Why did you feel guilty? That sounds like 'nuts' to me!

We are Costa fans. Cruised with them a few times and it suits us.

But it suits us for a reason, the Costa offering isnt as generous as the others. On board entertainment is very limited....but then the price reflects that. We use it as a nice hotel to take us to different destinations. Sea days are not something we look for. Unlike MSC, no Ice Cream on all inclusive!

Like another post above, we have seen this compulsory fee increase substantially, which with 5 of us in the family, 3 full price, adds to the cost.

I dont begrudge the staff, we always have a nice time, in fact I tip extra.

So this charge may eventually send us elsewhere. If I can get a better offering for a slightly better price, we might just start to look at on board entertainment on the bigger ships.

And I forgot....we seem to have lost our Pearl status we thought we would have this year, back to Coral......with less benefits!

I agree, why do a cabin with 5 pay €50 per day and a cabin with 2 pay €20 - it is not like the cabin steward as 2.5 times the work!!! S/he may have two extra beds to make but that is it! One bathroom to clean, one floor to vacuum, one balcony door to clear! They must love having cabins for 5!!!

As regards forcing a tip onto a staff member - why? pity? air of superiority?

Whether one can or cannot afford the tips, its academic with Costa because they are actually compulsory! If one can't they decide you don't cruise, not you!

If tips were not compulsory and I could not afford them, I would still cruise - after all it is still business for the cruiseline and their staff!

€10 per day = USD11 so at the upper end of the range

Fred Olsen is 4£ - about €5

P&O a little more.

Why did you feel guilty? That sounds like 'nuts' to me!

Because on all the other cruises I've sailed on, the tips were about 1 1/2 times what Costas were, and I didn't see any staff on costa doing less work. :eek:

tnt

I agree, why do a cabin with 5 pay €50 per day and a cabin with 2 pay €20 - it is not like the cabin steward as 2.5 times the work!!! S/he may have two extra beds to make but that is it! One bathroom to clean, one floor to vacuum, one balcony door to clear! They must love having cabins for 5!!!

As regards forcing a tip onto a staff member - why? pity? air of superiority?

Whether one can or cannot afford the tips, its academic with Costa because they are actually compulsory! If one can't they decide you don't cruise, not you!

If tips were not compulsory and I could not afford them, I would still cruise - after all it is still business for the cruiseline and their staff!

If this is true, then perhaps cruising is not for you.... this is just wrong.

No need for discussion, not tipping is just wrong.

Time to pick a cheaper holiday....

tnt