Clamshell at Half Moon Cay???

oaktreerb

Recently on B2B on Oosterdam, booked clamshell. When got to beach at 8:30, all were taken....told that beach had high water and they lost some beach area, so clamshells were first come first serve. On return two days later, shared docking with New Amsterdam, and beach was a mess....so the shells are a great protection from hot sun if you can get one...:)

We'll soon be visiting Half Moon Cay which we last visited in 2008 before the construction of the bar and cabanas and all. In 2008 we had a clamshell which gave us a place to get in out of the sun and a place to keep our towels, etc. I just saw the picture that RetiredMustang posted showing Half Moon Cay with all those beach chairs lined up in front of the clamshells. I remember HMC as being absolutely beautiful but not at all crowded with beach chairs.

After seeing all the empty beach chairs with clamshells in the back row I'm wondering if I should cancel the clamshell we ordered.

Can I get some opinions from HA cruisers who have visited recently? I think we are the only ship in port on March 13th.

save your money - they are hot and stifling - there are so many chairs and shady spots -

I think the clamshells are too hot on a warm day at HMC. No air circulates unless you raise the back to allow air flow.

Agreed! After renting one we found the clam shell blocked what breeze there was, and, yes there were a bunch of open loungers in front! Since that one time, we simply drag a lounge down the beach and stake our claim to some shade under a tree, or put it close to - even in - the water! Much better arrangement.

I actually like to use the clam shells and book them as soon as I can to make sure I get one. I am fair skinned and burn far too easily. Shade on HMC is not a guarantee and no matter how hard I try I always miss a spot with my sunscreen. The clam shell lets me stay on the best beach I know for a longer period of time and can enjoy many trips into the clear waters.