Portable WiFi

Laura44

Even if I don't need to connect to NCL wifi? It's a jet pack Portable WiFi so I usually connect my iPhone to the jet pack. I am wondering if the jet pack will work (since I don't usually need to connect to other wifi to get internet access).

You likely have a mifi or similar device that uses your cellular account to connect to the internet and then acts as a wifi hotspot for your laptop, tablet, etc.

If it even would work on the ship thru the ship's cellular system, it will be prohibitively expensive compared to just using the ship's wifi and internet system.

Edited to add: your jetpack uses a cellular system, which the ship offers, but you will definitely be paying data roaming charges to use it. ($$$$)

Edited by thinfool

As mentioned, just buying ship's wifi time and connecting direct with your ipad, iphone, whatever, would be much cheaper than connecting through ship cellular. However, at many port stops, you can frequently find a free wifi connection. Again, that would be direct wifi signal to your devices, not cellular.

I have a portable WiFi that I use to connect to Internet on land. Will it work on the cruise? We will be on the Epic in June.

By portable wifi, I'm assuming you mean a wifi hotspot that works off of Cell phone data service. Do not use this on the ship, as if it works you will be paying per minute at the ship's cell phone rates...very expensive. It may work in certain ports, depending on your cell phone provider and the services you've contracted for with the provider.

On the ship, you will not need to use the wifi hotspot. Just connect your phone, tablet, or laptop directly to the ship's wifi service.

Edited by VideoTech

At sea, Wifi goes through the satellite. If you want to connect, you pay the cruise line/ship or sail a line that provides free Wifi. They have to shut down when they are a certain distance from the dock. At that time, you can connect without going to the satellite.

At sea, Wifi goes through the satellite. If you want to connect, you pay the cruise line/ship or sail a line that provides free Wifi. They have to shut down when they are a certain distance from the dock. At that time, you can connect without going to the satellite.

You are mixing to very separate things - cellular through satellite and internet over satellite.

Onboard WiFi works through the satellite 24/7, it is normally never switched off - even while in ports.

What they do switch off is the onboard cellular system that provides connectivity to mobile phones (calling and texting) while at sea.

Even if I don't need to connect to NCL wifi? It's a jet pack Portable WiFi so I usually connect my iPhone to the jet pack. I am wondering if the jet pack will work (since I don't usually need to connect to other wifi to get internet access).

Yes, it will work, but using your phone is likely to cost more than buying NCL's Internet package.